Parking Lot

Old 10-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #16
firstdown
Living Legend

Re: RIP Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Talk about a missed opportunity.
Really, she was telling me she interviewed with them in his garage and that she decided not to take the job because she did not think they would be in business very long. She did not even know what a computer was when she interviewed for them in 1976.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-06-2011, 12:29 PM   #17
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Micheal Oher just a really bright guy and he complained they made him look simple in Blindside.

Michael Oher Would Appreciate It If You'd Tell Him Who This Steve Jobs Guy Was
Old 10-06-2011, 12:39 PM   #18
MTK
\m/

Talk about clueless jeez, hopefully he was just kidding... as he posts from his iPhone
Old 10-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #19
saden1
MVP

RIP. Definitely too young to go but when it's your time it's your time. He had a nice run and it was a miracle he survived pancreatic cancer for 7 years. Most people don't last more than a few months.

As far as his accomplishments in the context of hardware/software innovations he will only be remembered by Apple fans and investors. If for nothing else history will remember him for giving us Pixar and being a great business man.

-Jenkins

Last edited by saden1; 10-06-2011 at 01:58 PM.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:02 PM   #20
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
The Thomas Edison of our generation. RIP
Really? What a ludicrous statement.

-Jenkins
Old 10-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #21
MTK
\m/

Steve Jobs Is Thomas Edison - Business - The Atlantic Wire
Old 10-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #22
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Micheal Oher just a really bright guy and he complained they made him look simple in Blindside.

Michael Oher Would Appreciate It If You'd Tell Him Who This Steve Jobs Guy Was
He was blindsided by his death.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:38 PM   #23
saden1
MVP

What are we comparing here? Management style or their impact on the world for centuries to come? Seriously, how do we compare the iMac, iPhone, and iPad which all pretty much takes on already existing products to practical light bulb and fluoroscopy outside the lab, the electric grid, invention of the phonograph and kinetograph, and the advent of full duplex two-way telegraph?

I'm not sold in this comparison...in the context of history the best Jobs can hope to be is Francis Crow.

-Jenkins
Old 10-07-2011, 04:54 PM   #24
12thMan
MVP

Interesting the Atlantic Wire thought so too. I thought I was was off, guess not.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #25
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Interesting the Atlantic Wire thought so too. I thought I was was off, guess not.
They did? I'm guessing you're still off.

People say the darndest things.

-Jenkins
Old 10-07-2011, 09:01 PM   #26
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
They did? I'm guessing you're still off.

People say the darndest things.
I'm sure they said the darndest things when Edison died too.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:27 PM   #27
saden1
MVP

Quote:
I'm sure they said the darndest things when Edison died too.

They did except for Tesla:

Quote:
He had no hobby, cared for no sort of amusement of any kind and lived in utter disregard of the most elementary rules of hygiene. [...] His method was inefficient in the extreme, for an immense ground had to be covered to get anything at all unless blind chance intervened and, at first, I was almost a sorry witness of his doings, knowing that just a little theory and calculation would have saved him 90% of the labour. But he had a veritable contempt for book learning and mathematical knowledge, trusting himself entirely to his inventor's instinct and practical American sense.

—Nikola Tesla

-Jenkins
Old 10-07-2011, 09:36 PM   #28
12thMan
MVP

I think the definitive biography about Steve Jobs is probably some 10-20 years away. No one is suggesting that Jobs was/is greater than Thomas Edison, just the Edison of our generation. Others have said Henry Ford. That said, it's still a worthy comparison and one intelligent people will discuss long after we're gone.

I would also argue that Jobs wasn't just a brilliant innovator, but an extremely savvy businessman who pioneered a device that was the first of it's kind. He successfully brought it to the marketplace and introduced it to every corner of the globe.

Last edited by 12thMan; 10-07-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:26 PM   #29
saden1
MVP

Quote:
I think the definitive biography about Steve Jobs is probably some 10-20 years away. No one is suggesting that Jobs was/is greater than Thomas Edison, just the Edison of our generation. Others have said Henry Ford. That said, it's still a worthy comparison and one intelligent people will discuss long after we're gone.

I would also argue that Jobs wasn't just a brilliant innovator, but an extremely savvy businessman who pioneered a device that was the first of it's kind. He successfully brought it to the marketplace and introduced it to every corner of the globe.
What the hell does that even mean? In order to be the Edison of our generation your accomplishments have to be extraordinary like that of Edison.

What was first of its kind? The iPhone? The iPad? The Apple II? The Motorola Razr was innovative and sold a ton of devices but I don't think anyone really cares who was in charge of its development.

My fidelity lies with history....People need to stop lowering the bar for Jobs and realize his accomplishments aren't on par with that of Ford and Edison. I mean, Jobs has sweatshops while Henry developed the assembly line and paid his employees liveable wages and afforded them medical care.

-Jenkins

Last edited by saden1; 10-08-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #30
cpayne5
Playmaker

I agree with saden.

The problem I have with the Jobs/Edison comparison is that while Edison invented things, Jobs took what already existed, made it look cool by painting it white, and then sold a ton of them.

Everyone wants to say that the iPod was a great invention. It wasn't an invention. It was a well marketed digital media player (not the first!) whose timing was right.

If he is the closest we have to Edison for our generation, then our generation has failed miserably, IMO.

Jobs definitely deserves a lot of credit for all that he accomplished, but he is no Edison. Not even close.