Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Remembering 9/11... 10 years later

Parking Lot

Old 09-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #16
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Re: Remembering 9/11... 10 years later

I was working as a social worker at a rehab clinic when I saw a bunch of co-workers in the activity room watching TV. So, curiously, I walked in there and asked, "What are ya'll watching?" When I witnessed what I saw on that TV, I was in total shock. I didn't know what to think! So surreal. Never thought I would see anything like that in my lifetime, and I hope I never see anything like that again on American soil.

Advertisements
Old 09-12-2011, 01:52 PM   #17
firstdown
Living Legend

firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:05 PM   #18
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Like when older generations say they remember exactly what they were doing when Pearl Harbor was bombed or when they heard JFK was shot, I will definitely never forget that day for as long as I live.

I was a sophomore in college and when the professor walked into my criminology class a few minutes late he apologized saying he had been glued to the computer reading the initial reports of a plane hitting the WTC. Like a lot of people I just assumed it was a small aircraft and an unfortunate case of pilot error. I didn't really think much of it for the rest of class.
Since I had about 15 minutes between my Tuesday morning classes I decided to go back to my dorm room and I flipped on CNN just to see if there was any more news on what happened in New York. By that time the 2nd plane had hit and I believe the Pentagon had also been attacked and we all knew something major and horrific was happening.
Still in a bit of shock I went to my next class, appropriately enough the class was called "Social Movements" and it was about how events and groups can cause societies to shift. I was only there for a few minutes before someone came around and said the school was canceling classes for the day. I got back to my dorm just in time to see the towers collapse.

I just remember feeling so confused the rest of the day. Obviously I was old enough to know that our country has its fair share of enemies but what I was seeing on TV just seemed so surreal. Like many of you I spent the rest of the day glued to the TV and the internet, watching Aaron Brown describe the events from a few miles away, being freaked out by prophecies from Nostradamus that turned out to be fake, and worrying my friends in family in the military and abroad.

Last edited by ArtMonkDrillz; 09-12-2011 at 04:45 PM.
ArtMonkDrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:35 PM   #19
mlmpetert
Playmaker

The documentary i watched last year was "102 Minutes That Changed America". A must watch for those that havent seen it in my opinion. You can watch it here streaming and i bet its on netflicks for those that still have it:

102 Minutes That Changed America | Watch Free Documentary Online

Theres no narrator but youre well guided through the documentary by multiple perspectives depicting the 102 minutes chronicled in real time of days events. A lot of the footage is stunning and simply unexplainable.

Last edited by mlmpetert; 09-12-2011 at 03:36 PM.
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:21 PM   #20
Schneed10
A Dude

I remember being at work, having graduated just 4 months earlier from college, and hearing it all over the radio. A group of us were huddled around the radio listening to the frenzied call of the radio host/disc jockey as the towers fell. Shortly thereafter our boss came around and said I understand there are major events taking place but unless you plan to take a personal day then you need to be working.

So on the same day I learned what it was like to feel threatened by foreign enemies of state, I also learned what not to do as a boss!

For a good couple of weeks after those attacks I remember feeling uneasy everytime I heard a plane overhead. I felt like I needed to look up and make sure it wasn't coming down at me. Amazing how something can rattle all that you take for granted.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:40 PM   #21
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post

Wow! Goosebumps, great video 1st down thanks for sharing!
Old 09-12-2011, 04:48 PM   #22
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I remember being at work, having graduated just 4 months earlier from college, and hearing it all over the radio. A group of us were huddled around the radio listening to the frenzied call of the radio host/disc jockey as the towers fell. Shortly thereafter our boss came around and said I understand there are major events taking place but unless you plan to take a personal day then you need to be working.

So on the same day I learned what it was like to feel threatened by foreign enemies of state, I also learned what not to do as a boss!

For a good couple of weeks after those attacks I remember feeling uneasy everytime I heard a plane overhead. I felt like I needed to look up and make sure it wasn't coming down at me. Amazing how something can rattle all that you take for granted.
I wouldn't be surprised if that boss still feels like a dick.

I still remember hearing the idiots in the dorm room next to mine cheering when the RA knocked on their door to say classes were canceled for the rest of the day. My only guess is that since it was still kind of early they may not have had any idea what was going on.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:27 PM   #23
MTK
\m/

I was stuck at work for the day too. I was working a dead end job at a big box retailer at the time. Saw it all unfold live on TV. Assholes in corporate decided to leave the stores open, just in case someone wanted to shop for a PC or TV that day I guess. There were literally no customers the entire day. I often think back to that and wonder who's bright idea that was to stay open while the country was literally under attack, and if they feel like a piece of crap to this day.

Back to the events of the day, I remember someone coming into the back office saying a plane had hit one of the towers. I just figured it was a small commuter type of plane, then a few minutes later said something along the lines of holy shit, this is serious, come see this.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:35 PM   #24
budw38
Playmaker

I was also at work when one of my co workers said a plane hit the WTC . I thought it was a small "plane " . When he told us a second plane hit , my first thought was Pearl Harbor . Our boss also told us to work . We then heard that all flights were to be grounded. After a while I went outside to be alone and get some fresh air . As I was walking to my car I heard a jet ( Thought OH _ SH-- ) ; I looked up to see an F-A18 flying low , and remember it being the only sound . Very sad moment , and tragic day . R.I.P. to all who lost their lives and loved ones .
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote