Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

do you speed?

Parking Lot

Old 04-10-2009, 02:31 PM   #16
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: do you speed?

I can't bring myself to go above 80, anything above that is downright dangerous and irresponsible.

You may not care about your own life, but if I've got my daughter in the back of the car, and I see somebody going 95, I've got half a mind to make sure I hit the same rest stop and bury their head in the dirt.

Sorry, this touches a nerve. It's not just your life in question when you're going that fast.

Advertisements
Old 04-10-2009, 03:05 PM   #17
Dogtag
Special Teams

I try to stay within 5 mph of the posted speed limit.

My son had a lead foot until he became a fire-fighter. Seeing the end result of a lead foot on a near daily routine brought sanity to his driving habits. He tells me the reasons he hears for speeding and having an accident are always the same lame lines (when the people are able to talk).

Not a sermon - just an observation.
Dogtag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:52 PM   #18
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Around 10-15 over when it's 55 and up

around 7-10 over if it's a 45

about 5 over with anything lower

though I've had about 5 speeding tickets and they've all been 19 or more over, all by myself on the road :-/
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:57 PM   #19
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Man I hate that, if someone is riding my ass in residential area where the limit is 30 or 35 most times I'll ease off the gas by a good 5 mph just to piss them off even more.
I've done that to a cop before.. it was a 25 and I was going about 30-35 and he's coming up strong on my ass, cars parked on both sides of the road, had to come to nearly a crawl if you had someone coming from the opposite direction. So I slow down to 30 and he's right on my ass, can't even see his headlights, I slow down to 25 and I'm losing a lot of his front end in my rearview. Stopped the car and hopped out and asked him what the hell he was doing creating such an unsafe environment. "I'm just doing my job" What the hell job was that?
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:07 PM   #20
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I can't bring myself to go above 80, anything above that is downright dangerous and irresponsible.

You may not care about your own life, but if I've got my daughter in the back of the car, and I see somebody going 95, I've got half a mind to make sure I hit the same rest stop and bury their head in the dirt.

Sorry, this touches a nerve. It's not just your life in question when you're going that fast.
Is your "Child on Board" sticker prominently displayed and visible from a distance?

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:08 PM   #21
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

8-9 mph over. VB and the 64 corridor are two of the worst areas for speed traps in the U.S. The City of VB knows how to generate revenue and speed traps definitely help them. The last ticket I got was 13 over and it cost $ 115.00.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:54 PM   #22
KLHJ2
Inactive

For the record, I do not care about speeding tickets. I do not get pulled over enough to adjust my driving. The fines are not steep enough to change by driving habits either. I also do not speed excessively unless I am on the highway.

My speed on the highway is determined by which car I am driving. If I am driving my Expedition, then I generally travel at 60 to 80 MPH depending on the amount of congestion. If I am driving my Evo then I travel at speeds between 70 and 110. FYI, my car can get much faster than that because it is not governed. I will not push it any faster than that on public roads though. When I do hit the 3 digit speeds in my car it is just to get away from the "Wolfpacks" on the highway. Once I am clear of them I take my speed back down to the 70-80 MPH range.

For the most part I speed to get away from other vehicles and I drive at a speed that is comfortable for me. I'm sorry, but after driving and or riding on the Autobahn for 7 years of my life driving at the speed limit is like nails on the chalkboard to me.

As far as gas is concerned, I never changed my driving habits when the gas was more expensive either. To me, driving at a speed that I am comfortable at is a luxery that I am willing to pay for whether it be at the pump or in a fine.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:04 PM   #23
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
For the record, I do not care about speeding tickets. I do not get pulled over enough to adjust my driving. The fines are not steep enough to change by driving habits either. I also do not speed excessively unless I am on the highway.

My speed on the highway is determined by which car I am driving. If I am driving my Expedition, then I generally travel at 60 to 80 MPH depending on the amount of congestion. If I am driving my Evo then I travel at speeds between 70 and 110. FYI, my car can get much faster than that because it is not governed. I will not push it any faster than that on public roads though. When I do hit the 3 digit speeds in my car it is just to get away from the "Wolfpacks" on the highway. Once I am clear of them I take my speed back down to the 70-80 MPH range.

For the most part I speed to get away from other vehicles and I drive at a speed that is comfortable for me. I'm sorry, but after driving and or riding on the Autobahn for 7 years of my life driving at the speed limit is like nails on the chalkboard to me.

As far as gas is concerned, I never changed my driving habits when the gas was more expensive either. To me, driving at a speed that I am comfortable at is a luxery that I am willing to pay for whether it be at the pump or in a fine.
Are you honestly that impatient? WTF.

All it takes is for someone not to see you coming, merge in front of you, and that can be lights out for you.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:40 PM   #24
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Are you honestly that impatient? WTF.

All it takes is for someone not to see you coming, merge in front of you, and that can be lights out for you.

I do not have the energy to retype everything that I just lost. To Sum it up.

Read my previous post. Yes, I am impatient but I am not wreckless. I speed, but I don't weave.

It is hard to block an entire one way 4 lane road, but when they do I can slow down quick enough. The more traffic the slower I drive.

I am not going to change your mind with this post, but ride with me once and you will realize what I'm talking about. I may drive fast, but I stay safe.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:22 PM   #25
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
I think the current speed limit is a joke. This only applies to the big highways, such as 66. They're long, straight, and cars today are capable of handling much faster speeds than when the typical 55 was put into place. I understand not everyone is as comfortable going that fast -- and that's fine. Just stay in the right lane. There's a reason there are fewer accidents on the Autobahn, staying to the right is strictly enforced unless you're passing.

I'm really glad a lot of states are trying to ticket people for going too slow (10MPH under the speed limit). That can be at least, if not more dangerous than going fast. What we really need to do is change driving laws to get the elderly, who happen to be the most deadly demographic on the road, into the DMV yearly for driving tests.

My above comments only count to larger highways. City/towns I don't speed, too many chances for a kid/etc to hop out into the road. On 66 I typically cruise between 75-80.

I could not agree more or have said it better myself. If everyone in the US drove on the Autobahn for about 30 days of their lives, the US would be a much better place to commute on highways. Keep the left lane clear unless you are passing. Get back over to the right once you pass. Move over to the right for traffic traveling faster than you. You are not allowed to go below the posted speed... Gawd, I miss it!
Old 04-11-2009, 07:54 AM   #26
Schneed10
A Dude

Sometimes I sit in the left lane at 75 to purposely block people from going by at 85+.

You shouldn't be going that fast and I'm willing to piss you off to make it happen.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:31 AM   #27
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Sometimes I sit in the left lane at 75 to purposely block people from going by at 85+.

You shouldn't be going that fast and I'm willing to piss you off to make it happen.
So you are willing to become a danger to others just to piss someone off? By sitting at 75 (thus breaking the law in most parts around here) you judge yourself safe, while creating a hazard for someone else who, also breaking the law, feels that he/she has the capability to control the car at 85. He/she will then either be force to slow down, or as you said get pissed off and become a more angry/reckless driver.
Not sure I get the line of thought on this one. Cars can be safely controlled at speeds much faster than 75, if they are designed for it- race cars top speeds of 200. People all have different capacities for reflexes and responses: some but not many can control those 200mph cars, some cannot. So why would you feel you have the right to set an arbitrary rate, when you are already breaking the legal rate?

I speed, but mainly go with the flow of traffic. Some days I actually drive the speed limit, very rarely do I push my Honda Civic above 75, however if I had a different car that had a higher limit, I might find the gas pedal going down more frequently.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:42 AM   #28
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
So you are willing to become a danger to others just to piss someone off? By sitting at 75 (thus breaking the law in most parts around here) you judge yourself safe, while creating a hazard for someone else who, also breaking the law, feels that he/she has the capability to control the car at 85. He/she will then either be force to slow down, or as you said get pissed off and become a more angry/reckless driver.
Not sure I get the line of thought on this one. Cars can be safely controlled at speeds much faster than 75, if they are designed for it- race cars top speeds of 200. People all have different capacities for reflexes and responses: some but not many can control those 200mph cars, some cannot. So why would you feel you have the right to set an arbitrary rate, when you are already breaking the legal rate?

I speed, but mainly go with the flow of traffic. Some days I actually drive the speed limit, very rarely do I push my Honda Civic above 75, however if I had a different car that had a higher limit, I might find the gas pedal going down more frequently.
As you said, it's a flow of traffic thing. It has nothing to do with the law, it has everything to do with what's safe.

When traffic is moving at nearly the same speed, the space differential between cars remains constant and predictable. When you have people going 15 mph above OR below the flow of traffic, you have a dangerous situation.

I don't care who "feels" they can control a car at 85 or 95. It doesn't matter. I feel I can too. What makes it dangerous is the fact that they're going 15 mph faster than everyone else, and when somebody else on the road makes a mistake and merges without looking, all of a sudden that 15 mph speed differential becomes very dangerous. The driver has to react to the mistake, and at 95 must suddenly make some sort of move to avoid.

It's how accidents happen all the damn time.

If me blockading the left lane pisses somebody off, it's on them to keep their cool. If they don't that's not my problem. Besides, I can blockade the left lane for miles if you give me enough cars on my right to do it. Most people get pissed, but eventually succumb to the fact that they're stuck behind me.

And a comparison to NASCAR racing at 200mph is absurd. It's not an issue of whether you can control a car. When everybody's going 200mph there's no problem. But when one car bumps another, does it not take out like 20 cars behind? Why? Because the speed is so great there's so little time to react to the smallest things. The greater the speed, the smaller the margin for error. So chill out on the roads or I'm likely to go Punisher on your ass.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:46 AM   #29
Schneed10
A Dude

Another factor, I'm a stubborn son of a bitch on the roads, and I'm flat out not willing to let somebody go 95 if I can help it.

Had a confrontation with one such driver at the Chesapeake House rest stop in Maryland. When he got back on the road he chilled out.

I guess you can call it reverse road rage. I flat out don't tolerate it. I've called the cops on people from my cell, I've blockaded, I've confronted them at rest stops.

I lost a family member to a reckless driver. It touches a nerve.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:24 AM   #30
724Skinsfan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
Keep the left lane clear unless you are passing. Get back over to the right once you pass. Move over to the right for traffic traveling faster than you.
Better chance of having a nuclear free world before this happens in the States.

Oh, I usually go 10 miles over/flow of traffic unless the kids are in the car. With kids in the car I do my best to stay at the posted speed limit.