Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

DT Daryl Gardener becomes a FA

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-11-2004, 03:59 PM   #16
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

If you give him another incentive based one-year deal like last time he could be motivated to play well. Meanwhile, the Broncos signed former Skin Marco Coleman

Advertisements
Old 03-11-2004, 04:10 PM   #17
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Gardner was a bad apple in Miami. That's why they ditched him even though he is talented.

He played well in Washington but no one rushed to resign him here.

He wore out his welcome in Denver in about six games.

I'd pass on Gardner. He isn't the answer here.
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 06:15 PM   #18
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I think every athlete should have incentive filled contracts. Keeps them from getting lazy, but it also causes problems with ball distribution on offense, but nevermind that!

Anyhow, I think he'll be fine if we sign him for fairly cheap (which I think we can) and it's incentive based.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 07:14 PM   #19
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Bottom line, In my opinion, is we still need some more stability on our Defensive Line. It looks more and more like we arent going to be drafting a dlinemen, so I think if the price is right, we should take a chance on Gardner.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 10:41 PM   #20
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanc711
Bottom line, In my opinion, is we still need some more stability on our Defensive Line. It looks more and more like we arent going to be drafting a dlinemen, so I think if the price is right, we should take a chance on Gardner.
I second that. The D-line is far from improved over last season. If Gardener is willing to play for nickels, dust off his old #92.

If he doesn't sign with us, we still need help with the D-line.

I know there are several of us who are satisfied with Griffin, Haley, Holsey, and Noble (if he can even play) -- but I'm not one of them.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 08:51 AM   #21
cpayne5
Playmaker

Yeah, I'd consider signing him for cheap with incentives. But the first time he does something stupid, he's gone.
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 08:54 AM   #22
SkinsRock
Impact Rookie

Gardener can definitely play when he is healthy and wants to, but with all the talk of getting high character guys, I would be seriously disappointed if we signed him. When players in Gibbs old teams had problems (i.e. Manley), they were already part of the team, not players that were signed with the baggage.
SkinsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 09:09 AM   #23
cpayne5
Playmaker

True. But for some reason, his bad character never came out here. I think he did do a little complaining at the beginning of the season, but other than that, he was pretty quiet.
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 09:42 AM   #24
SkinsRock
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5
True. But for some reason, his bad character never came out here. I think he did do a little complaining at the beginning of the season, but other than that, he was pretty quiet.
He was playing for a payday, which he got from Denver.

On the other hand, it could have been from playing under Lewis, which is why it wouldn't be surprising to see him go to Cincy. Williams is thought of similarly as a defensive mind, so maybe he would revert back to how he was in 2002 if he came back here...
SkinsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 06:22 PM   #25
johnnyredskin63
Special Teams

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
I think concerns about his back pale in comparison to his off the field troubles and his behavior problems.
i agree,i think this guy is a huge looney bird.i say let him go on and become someone else's problem.
HAIL TO THE REDSKINS
always remember ladies and germs-THE COWBOYS SUCK
johnnyredskin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 08:07 PM   #26
Ghost
Special Teams

ESPN's Page 2 on how Gibbs deals with "problem" players:

"I recall Joe Gibbs and Jumpy Geathers. Jumpy was a big D-lineman that no one seemed to be able to motivate, control or get much out of, so they'd resorted to screaming and hollering at him. That might have worked, if Jumpy was, say, another guy. But Jumpy's early childhood trauma had been a father figure screaming at him. He went into a shell if you did that. Blew you off. And Joe Gibbs instinctively realized this. I can still see and hear him now on the sidelines, when the physically-gifted Jumpy ran out on the field for the playoff games that led to one of those three Super Bowl wins.

"Way to go, Jump-pay!" hollered Joe Gibbs. And Jumpy looks over at him, smiles, and proceeds to eat the offensive line alive, then comes off the field and asks Joe if he has a toothpick on him."
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 07:51 AM   #27
johnnyredskin63
Special Teams

Arrow

joe gibbs gets the best out of those who work for and around him.that is why he is so easy to like i think.remember when dexter manley had to be thrown out of the league for drugs?i remember seeing coach gibbs on tv and by the way he talked,you would have thought it was his fault because he could not stop dexter from taking drugs.
HAIL TO THE REDSKINS
always remember ladies and germs-THE COWBOYS SUCK
johnnyredskin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 05:13 PM   #28
Defensewins
Playmaker

Ghost,
Great post! Do you have the link to this article?
To say Gibbs only picks alter boy players is wrong. He has taken chances on talented troubled players in the past and is good at keeping them on the right track. Didn't he coach a QB right out of prison during the 83 strike portion of the season?
Another thing, given Gardner's short fuse, Washington D.C. is a more welcoming atmosphere for a troubled african-american player than Colorado. Colorado and Utah are not the most tolerant places in the US. I am not surprised that the beginning of Gardner's trouble was a fight at a restaurant in Colorado.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 06:03 PM   #29
Ghost
Special Teams

Yeah I love that story about "Jump-pay" ... I remember him tearing people up for a couple seasons but didn't know the background on him. I posted a link to that article in the News Wire area ... it's called "Page 2 on Gibbs."
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote