Oh Barbaro

Advertisements
Old 02-09-2007, 01:43 AM   #17
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Re: Brunell

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsowilso View Post
Should I start with the contract that was so way way over the top that it made the management team look like fools. That wasn't a good idea for the rest of the league to to think we are a team willing to pay big money for garbage. Remind me how that was good for us?
It wasn't. It wasnt in the case of Brunell, or any of these guys:

Antwaan Randle El
Andre Carter
Adam Archuleta
Brandon Lloyd
David Patten

I still don't see how you can think that Brunell was the worst acquistion Gibbs has made.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:45 AM   #18
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
I guess you all forget Brunell is under contact for over six million dollars next year. Until I see Gibbs give up the idea for good I have my major concerns.
I doubt any team has a better backup then Brunell. Some teams have high potential backup guys, such as Quinn Gray in JAX or Matt Schaub in ATL, but these guys haven't proven themselves yet.

Garcia's better, but I'm assuming hes going to be starting somewhere.

Great depth at the QB position isn't a bad thing, and although Brunell is making starter money, the contract was written for a starter. I doubt hes here in 2008.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:50 AM   #19
70Chip
Playmaker

I like him as a backup. He could come in for a game or two. Knows the system. He would have fresh legs, fresh arm. They certainly can't have Collins as the main backup.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:56 AM   #20
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Chip View Post
I like him as a backup. He could come in for a game or two. Knows the system. He would have fresh legs, fresh arm. They certainly can't have Collins as the main backup.
I would cut Collins. You save almost as much cap room as you would cutting Brunell and you get twice the QB. We can go bargain basement with the 3rd stringer, like a system college QB/clipboard holder (UDFA), or we can follow the new trend and only take 2 QBs into the season.

Either way, its a better option then restructuring for that 1.5 mil, thats for sure.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:58 AM   #21
wilsowilso

Don't mean to rehash an issue that we all are very well aware of, but I have a major fear that the curse of Brunell needs to be exercised as soon as possible. I don't want him as a backup. I want him to go away.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:59 AM   #22
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Don't mean to rehash an issue that we all are very well aware of, but I have a major fear that the curse of Brunell needs to be exercised as soon as possible. I don't want him as a backup. I want him to go away.
Who do you want to replace him?

And whats with all this curse talk?
Old 02-09-2007, 02:01 AM   #23
wilsowilso

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Who do you want to replace him?

And whats with all this curse talk?
The curse of the most ridiculous football contract in the history of mankind.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:03 AM   #24
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
The curse of the most ridiculous football contract in the history of mankind.
I was certain that was Archuleta.

33 million for a safety who doesn't play? How can Brunell's expensive deal possibly be more ridiculous then that?

I still want to know what player in the NFL or the draft you think should replace MB.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:04 AM   #25
70Chip
Playmaker

Quote:
I would cut Collins. You save almost as much cap room as you would cutting Brunell and you get twice the QB. We can go bargain basement with the 3rd stringer, like a system college QB/clipboard holder (UDFA), or we can follow the new trend and only take 2 QBs into the season.

Either way, its a better option then restructuring for that 1.5 mil, thats for sure.

Yeah, I like that. I wonder how strong the Saunders/Collins marriage is though? Saunders might balk. But, he's just the OC. Like it or lump it. Take it down the street and dump it.

I would like to get a 3rd QB, though. Just for developmental reasons. I think the arena league is a good training ground. They have to get rid of it so fast, which is the direction the NFL has gone. Quick, quick quick. Beathard would have been all over that arena league grabbing talent.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:08 AM   #26
wilsowilso

Quote:
I was certain that was Archuleta.

33 million for a safety who doesn't play? How can Brunell's expensive deal possibly be more ridiculous then that?

I still want to know what player in the NFL or the draft you think should replace MB.
Wait I forgot about Archuletta.. It might be close, but they gave Brunell more than Arch three years ago and I really don't care who replaces Brunell. I just want him to go home and sit on his pile of money and do good for mankind.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:11 AM   #27
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Chip View Post
Yeah, I like that. I wonder how strong the Saunders/Collins marriage is though? Saunders might balk. But, he's just the OC. Like it or lump it. Take it down the street and dump it.

I would like to get a 3rd QB, though. Just for developmental reasons. I think the arena league is a good training ground. They have to get rid of it so fast, which is the direction the NFL has gone. Quick, quick quick. Beathard would have been all over that arena league grabbing talent.
I think my current position on the Saunders/Gibbs marriage may surprise some people:

I dont care. I don't care whose offense we run. I dont care who calls the plays. I dont care if we mix the systems together. I don't care if Gibbs loves Al or if Al loves Gibbs or if they secretly want the other one gone. I don't care if Saunders up and quits. None of that matters. I want the right decisions to be made and we have two of the brightest offensive minds ever to coach on our staff. We have a talented group of offensive players. I don't give a crap about the state of the offense, because the way I see it, all they have to do is execute and this is a top 10 offense.

Cutting Todd Collins would be beneficial to the team. I don't think Al wants him cut. Tough. Anytime you can save 1.5 million on an already tight cap by cutting your 3rd string QB who has no future in this league, its just a no brainer.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:13 AM   #28
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Wait I forgot about Archuletta.. It might be close, but they gave Brunell more than Arch three years ago and I really don't care who replaces Brunell. I just want him to go home and sit on his pile of money and do good for mankind.
IMO thats a poor plan. You have the league's top backup, who creates a 4.5 million cap hit (net relief of about 1.5 million) if you release him (because, yes, hes being paid like a starter and ALSO because he's restructured his contract multiple times to help this team eek under the cap). Campbell's the starter either way, and if you are trying to convince us that decreasing the quality of our backup is somehow beneficial to this team, you are going to have to do a better job than that.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:22 AM   #29
wilsowilso

Quote:
IMO thats a poor plan. You have the league's top backup, who creates a 4.5 million cap hit if you release him. Campbell's the starter either way, and if you are trying to convince us that decreasing the quality of our backup is somehow beneficial to this team, you are going to have to do a better job than that.
If it is that huge a cap hit then that changes things, but this goes back to my point that Brunell's contract is absurd always was and always will be.
I really don't think he will give us a good restructure, but I hope he does.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:26 AM   #30
wilsowilso

Quote:
if you are trying to convince us that decreasing the quality of our backup is somehow beneficial to this team, you are going to have to do a better job than that.
If the backup is not named Mark Brunell it is and I repeat is beneficial to this team.