Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Cowboys)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-28-2009, 10:49 AM   #16
12thMan
MVP

Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Cowboys)

Either Campbell has completely lost confidence in this offense or I think we may have seen his ceiling in terms of what he's capable of. I would say on his best day, Campbell is probably a 350-360 yard QB, which is great, but most of the time you're going to get around 220-250 yds passing from him.

I think this guy can be good, but he rarely outplays the talent level around him or even his own deficiencies. Let me clarify, Aron Rodgers, too, has a crappy line. But he knows where the ball is going and how to get it there. Which one can argue is a product of being in the system for many years. I would argue, however, that at some point the onus is on the veteran QB to simply step up and let his football instincts kick in. We've seen Brett Favre do it in Minnesota; Vince Young turned it around in Tennessee. Even as sporadic as Eli can be at times, you know he's going to work magic if the game is close and he has the ball.

My question is after five seasons what are Jason Campbell's signature traits? What is he best known for? None come to mind really. Jason Cambell is okay at a lot of things, but not great at anything. Even Jay Cutler, you could say the guy is an interception machine, strong arm, likes to take chances. Romo, great pocket presence. Vince Young, great outside the pocket or moving with the ball. I don't know.

I'm starting to believe that no matter what line we put in front of Campbell, he'll still be only marginally better. And I'm not so sure that's we're bargaining for in 2010.

Last edited by 12thMan; 12-28-2009 at 05:24 PM.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-28-2009, 10:52 AM   #17
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Nice post 12th
Old 12-28-2009, 10:55 AM   #18
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Are you talking about me, or actually Fred Smoot? Because I don't recall ever saying that
I meant you, I thought I saw that you posted something along those lines, sorry.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:55 AM   #19
irish
Playmaker

After 5 seasons JC's signature traits are indeciveness, lack of pocket presence, and inaccurate passing.

If JC has shown 1 thing this season its that he's essentially the same QB he's always been and always will be.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:57 AM   #20
MTK
\m/

I'd still like to see what JC could do in a more stable environment and with an offense that suits his strengths. Whether he gets that chance remains to be seen.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:01 AM   #21
dmek25
MVP

im starting to agree with Irish( i cant believe i just said that) i think Campbell is what we thought he was. i forget what coach said it, but you are what you are. you can only make so many excuses for whats going on out there. sure, the line sucks. but big Ben makes plays. last night, when his protection broke down, Romo made plays. i think the Campbell era is over in Washington
Old 12-28-2009, 11:21 AM   #22
rbanerjee23
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
I hope Landry enrolls in some geometry classes because he needs serious work on his angles.
Wow, perfectly put. It seems that his only deal in life is to take the other guy's block off and not even make a decent effort to try and stop him.

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:24 AM   #23
rbanerjee23
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
You simply can't reach for a guy based on need, that's not a sound draft strategy. In no particular order I would like to see us grab a QB, RB, and OT with our first 3 picks.
You really thinking addressing the line with 1 pick is going to be good enough? you could put Peyton behind this line and we would still not get better QB play...we can only be as strong as our weakest link and our O-line is simply terrible, at this point the worst in the league IMO. I think we trade out of the first and pick up 3 OLs and get a QB/RB in the third/fourth round.

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:36 AM   #24
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanerjee23 View Post
You really thinking addressing the line with 1 pick is going to be good enough? you could put Peyton behind this line and we would still not get better QB play...we can only be as strong as our weakest link and our O-line is simply terrible, at this point the worst in the league IMO. I think we trade out of the first and pick up 3 OLs and get a QB/RB in the third/fourth round.
We have more than 3 picks, no?

And we do have other needs to address.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:59 AM   #25
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
I can't see how Zorn is calling plays as some people assume. Anytime they show him on the sidelines he's just standing around.

Let's face it the team has packed it in these last two weeks and all the off the field distractions haven't helped either.

I can totally see how Zorn is calling the plays. He still has a head set and mic. Plus we sucked prior to all the distractions. Especially when Zorn was game planning, play calling, and managing the clock prior to Lewis.

No one could tell me differently after the last 2 games that Allen most likely gave the keys back to Zorn so he could say he did it to give a fair evaluation on Zorn's coaching abilities. Otherwise some fans out there or other coach's would be saying "they fired Zorn and Allen never gave him a fair shake" or "how could Allen even evaluate Zorn when Lewis is running the offense."

I think Allen is letting Zorn fire himself. The only caviate would be if Zorn actually won the last 3 games by a large margin but statistically it didn't show Zorn would do that.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:59 AM   #26
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
im starting to agree with Irish( i cant believe i just said that) i think Campbell is what we thought he was. i forget what coach said it, but you are what you are. you can only make so many excuses for whats going on out there. sure, the line sucks. but big Ben makes plays. last night, when his protection broke down, Romo made plays. i think the Campbell era is over in Washington
I think it was Denny Green.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:01 PM   #27
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Either Campbell has completely lost confidence in this offense or I think we may have seen his ceiling in terms of what he's capable of. I would say on his best day, Campbell is probably a 350-360 yard QB, which is great, but most of the time you're going to get around 220-250 yds passing from him.

I think this guy can be good, but he rarely outplays the talent level around him or even his own deficiencies. Let me clarify, Aron Rodgers, too, has a crappy line. But he knows where the ball is going and how to get it there. Which one can argue is a product of being in the system for many years. I would argue, however, that at some point the onus is on the veteran QB to simply step up and let his football instincts kick in. We've seen Brett Favre do it in Minnesota; Vince Young turned it around in Tennessee. Even as sporadic as Eli can be at times, you know he's going to work magic if the game is close and he has the ball.

My question is, after five seasons what are Jason Campbell's signature traits? What is he best known for? None come to mind really. Jason Cambell is okay at a lot of things, but not great at anything. Even Jay Cutler, you could say the guy is an interception machine, strong arm, likes to take chances. Romo, great pocket presence. Vince Young, great outside the pocket or moving with the ball. I don't know.

I'm starting to believe that no matter what line we put in front of Campbell, he'll still be only marginally better. And I'm not so sure that's we're bargaining for in 2010.
JC's signature trait is an inexplicable inability to slide. How can someone with his athletic abilities be unable to slide?
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:01 PM   #28
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
I'd still like to see what JC could do in a more stable environment and with an offense that suits his strengths. Whether he gets that chance remains to be seen.
But what are his strengths?
Old 12-28-2009, 12:03 PM   #29
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
JC's signature trait is an inexplicable inability to slide. How can someone with his athletic abilities be unable to slide?
Ask Mark Sanchez
Old 12-28-2009, 12:04 PM   #30
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I said that. Still stand by it. To clarify I said that if we pick 6th and Okung is gone, I'd rather not reach for a OT there and just address the line later. It's a weak OT class in terms of top-flight quality. I'd rather we take someone like Bradford there and then we can still get Trent Williams or Charles Scott high in the 2nd in my opinion (or even Anthony Davis). Maybe trade into the late 2nd/early 3rd and add one of the Iowa linemen. Not wanting to reach to grab any offensive lineman high in the draft is not at all the same thing as saying let's ignore the line.
I understand what you're saying SS and I agree about reaching. My question is, is Okung and the need for his talents at the LT position worth trading up for if it looks like he'll be gone? With the combine still ahead and the draft order really not settled, (who expected TB to beat NO?), it's still possible we could get him where we pick, but would he be worth moving up for?