\m/

Re: Texting and Driving

looks like someone already beat you to it FD, Excel not included of course

Advertisements
Old 06-02-2011, 06:50 AM   #17
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

I am guilty of it sometimes, but i never have a full conversation, and if i have to send out a message, it is only when i am on the road alone on a wide open stretch, never in traffic...plus my new phone doesnt have T9 Word, so i have to type everything on the pull-out keyboard.....
Old 06-02-2011, 09:04 AM   #18
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Ill text at stop lights and stop signs and VERY seldom one word replys while moving, but i do mess around with gps, music selections and other driving apps on my phone while driving, all of which make me pretty hypocritical in starting this thread….

Its like speed when driving, going 10 over isn’t all that bad but going 30 over and it’s a little dangerous for others on the road. Or road rage, slamming on the horn isn’t bad but tailgating is. True with alcohol as well, .08 is a heck of a lot safer then .20.

Here’s something pretty sobering:

News Headlines
Old 06-02-2011, 09:08 AM   #19
MTK
\m/

I've checked a text while driving, but I've never typed one out. As far as the phone I have the Ford Sync system which works great for talking hands free in the car.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:41 AM   #20
BringBackJoeT
Impact Rookie

10 die in Memorial Day weekend crashes in Virginia - The Washington Post
BringBackJoeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:41 PM   #21
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

I had a car drive into my house. I live on a straight stretch of road. The guy who did it was texting while driving.

While I was already opposed to such behavior, my experience has just made me more opposed. I think there should be a chip in cell phones which renders them inoperative when the phone is moving faster than a human being can run. Sure, this would keep passengers off the phone, too. But since when is it ok to be so impatient that you can't just text later? Technology has made us forget that patience is a virtue.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #22
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

That's crazy you had a car drive into your house.

Sometimes though I feel that it's like the same excuse we make for athletes going out at night. Because a few get into altercations, that automatically means no athlete should be allowed out at the club at night even though hundreds go out without incident. Or just because some athlete tweets something controversial, we just ban all athletes from tweeting.

But I guess that's what laws ultimately are for, to take care of people who are incapable of taking care of themselves.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #23
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
That's crazy you had a car drive into your house.

Sometimes though I feel that it's like the same excuse we make for athletes going out at night. Because a few get into altercations, that automatically means no athlete should be allowed out at the club at night even though hundreds go out without incident. Or just because some athlete tweets something controversial, we just ban all athletes from tweeting.

But I guess that's what laws ultimately are for, to take care of people who are incapable of taking care of themselves.

I think you are comparing apples to oranges. Nobody can drive safely and text at the same time, no one. You may get away with it but don't fool yourself that you are not taking a risk.

I am willing to bet I could down a six pack right now and drive home without anything happen. Was it safe to do? No. If I did it every day for a year would something eventually bad happen? Most likely. Same goes for texting, if you think you can text and drive in any situation safely in my book you are a fawking idiot. The folks coming up with the well I do it when stopped or on a straight road you might as well be a drunk in a bar that says well I drive home with the windows down and the music on loud and it is a short drive, same boat same idiots.

When you smash into a family and kill their children over some stupid most likely useless text, then maybe you will see the light.

(For the record I am speaking in general not directly to you SS)
Old 06-02-2011, 03:51 PM   #24
MTK
\m/

There really shouldn't be much of a discussion to have here. Doing anything other than driving while you're behind the wheel just isn't smart, period. Distracted drivers cause more accidents than non-distracted drivers.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:09 PM   #25
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
Well one more quick story. This was a day or so after the no talking/texting while driving law was passed.

Driving home from work kinda early around 3 pm. Little traffic, cruising up 95 N doing the speed limit at 65.

I see a black honda going about 50 in one of the middle lanes. Its looks like one of my buddies cars. I slow down and pull up next to him and its him, a big fat guy glasses beard talking on the phone. So I proceed to give him a huge middle finger right next to him then sped up still giving him the middle finger.

I get no reaction from him so I slow back down to 50 mph like he was going. He slows down even more so that we wouldnt be side by side like I was trying to do. After a few seconds I just start going the speed limit again.

Mile down the road he passes me on the right taking an exit lane and gives me the bird.

So, ironically, I text him something like "hey man no talking n driving ya big dummy". he texts back "what are you talking about?", I txt back "I just passed you on 95 and gave you the bird", he texted "dude, im sitting on my couch right now I didnt have work today". I didnt flick off and try to pull up next to my buddy but some big stranger dude.

DOH! Good thing that dude wasnt in a pissy mood b/c he was a big boy and would have had every right to knock my teeth out.
hahahahahaha....

Too bad it couldn't have been Albert. Might have gotten paid from it.
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:10 PM   #26
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I think you are comparing apples to oranges. Nobody can drive safely and text at the same time, no one. You may get away with it but don't fool yourself that you are not taking a risk.

I am willing to bet I could down a six pack right now and drive home without anything happen. Was it safe to do? No. If I did it every day for a year would something eventually bad happen? Most likely. Same goes for texting, if you think you can text and drive in any situation safely in my book you are a fawking idiot. The folks coming up with the well I do it when stopped or on a straight road you might as well be a drunk in a bar that says well I drive home with the windows down and the music on loud and it is a short drive, same boat same idiots.

When you smash into a family and kill their children over some stupid most likely useless text, then maybe you will see the light.

(For the record I am speaking in general not directly to you SS)
Well my point is, why do we need to have a law to tell people not to do this. Seems like common sense to know your limitations. But I understand the drunk analogy many make. I'm sure all, if not most, of us have gotten behind the wheel when we shouldn't have because we thought we were ok.

And do you stop with just texting? What about all the other "distractions" I, and others here have mentioned. Why isn't there commotion about reading the paper and driving, shaving and driving, putting on your makeup and driving, etc.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:19 PM   #27
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
There really shouldn't be much of a discussion to have here. Doing anything other than driving while you're behind the wheel just isn't smart, period. Distracted drivers cause more accidents than non-distracted drivers.
I agree 100% with this. I bicycle quite a bit and I'm scared shitless to bike out on the open roads/highways because of idiots and their cell phones.
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:02 PM   #28
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Well my point is, why do we need to have a law to tell people not to do this. Seems like common sense to know your limitations. But I understand the drunk analogy many make. I'm sure all, if not most, of us have gotten behind the wheel when we shouldn't have because we thought we were ok.

And do you stop with just texting? What about all the other "distractions" I, and others here have mentioned. Why isn't there commotion about reading the paper and driving, shaving and driving, putting on your makeup and driving, etc.
Personally I see people on their phones every day. On occasion I might see someone shaving or eating, but not as often as someone on a cell phone. But yeah you're right, any sort of distraction is a problem.