Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Own a Piece of Paper Implying Stock That Has No True Value Yet Ceremoniously Says You Own a Piece of the Packers. Or Don't. What Do I Care.

Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #16
mlmpetert
Playmaker

re: Own a Piece of Paper Implying Stock That Has No True Value Yet Ceremoniously Says You Own a Piece of the Packers. Or Don't. What Do I Care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
The cost is right in the FAQ, I didn't think it was hard to find.
Honestly after realizing the price of the "stock" was left off the main page did you look to find the price by first clicking on the Purchase button or looking through the FAQ? The whole thing is deceptive.

If it was a fluxuating stock price i would get not have the price listed right on the main page. But for the main page to offer something for sale as complex as a supposed financial instrument and not show the price is deceiving to me. If youre selling fake "common stock" you should at least be upfront with the price.

Advertisements
Old 12-06-2011, 11:15 AM   #17
MTK
\m/

re: Own a Piece of Paper Implying Stock That Has No True Value Yet Ceremoniously Says You Own a Piece of the Packers. Or Don't. What Do I Care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Honestly after realizing the price of the "stock" was left off the main page did you look to find the price by first clicking on the Purchase button or looking through the FAQ? The whole thing is deceptive.

If it was a fluxuating stock price i would get not have the price listed right on the main page. But for the main page to offer something for sale as complex as a supposed financial instrument and not show the price is deceiving to me. If youre selling fake "common stock" you should at least be upfront with the price.
I clicked the FAQ and found the price in all of 2 seconds.

Plus they state this right up front:

COMMON STOCK DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN INVESTMENT IN “STOCK” IN THE COMMON SENSE OF THE TERM.

PURCHASERS SHOULD NOT PURCHASE COMMON STOCK WITH THE PURPOSE OF MAKING A PROFIT.

Not sure I'm seeing the deception.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:20 AM   #18
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Maybe it's because it's I've been following this story for months now but $250 stock with no voting rights has been pretty common knowledge. But maybe it was only to me.

Either way, I don't think there was any intent to deceive
Old 12-06-2011, 11:20 AM   #19
saden1
MVP

What a worthless racket of a stock. Sure you get a right to vote but so do millions of other shareholders and your voting rights are limited to what management wants you to vote on.

-Jenkins
Old 12-06-2011, 11:24 AM   #20
saden1
MVP

The deception is that they call this sale a common stock sale.

-Jenkins
Old 12-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #21
MTK
\m/

I don't think people are buying a share with the intent of being a major player in the decision making of the team.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:28 AM   #22
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Don't people understand this is more of a souvenir?
R.I.P. #21
Old 12-06-2011, 11:52 AM   #23
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I don't think people are buying a share with the intent of being a major player in the decision making of the team.
You forget the fantasy football mentality that some fans have and they actually believe they should have a 'say' for their $250. It's a fun gimmick to say you are part owner of a team. If you want to do it, do so. If not, keep it moving. Must everything devolve into a debate?

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Old 12-06-2011, 11:56 AM   #24
Schneed10
A Dude

Any investor with a modicum of knowledge about financial markets would be outraged at this, including me.

Stock is equity in a company entitling you to a share of the profits. Green Bay is calling this a Common Stock - which is a specific financial term - and then saying on the page that it doesn't entitle you to any profits.

It's incredibly confusing, even if the Packers didn't intend to deceive.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #25
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Don't people understand this is more of a souvenir?
You can't refer to it as Common Stock then.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:58 AM   #26
Schneed10
A Dude

And I'm sure there's a good many people reading this thread and rolling their eyes at the outrage over this, but I'd bet a lot of money that the SEC will have a problem with this.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:04 PM   #27
Schneed10
A Dude

The stock offering document reads this:

Quote:
THE COMMON STOCK HAS NOT BEEN APPROVED OR RECOMMENDED BY THE SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION OR ANY STATE OR INTERNATIONAL REGULATORY AUTHORITY NOR HAS THE SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION OR ANY STATE OR INTERNATIONAL REGULATORY AUTHORITY APPROVED THIS OFFERING OR THE TERMS OF THIS OFFERING. FURTHERMORE, THESE AUTHORITIES HAVE NOT CONFIRMED THE ACCURACY OR DETERMINED THE ADEQUACY OF THIS DOCUMENT. ANY REPRESENTATION TO THE CONTRARY IS A CRIMINAL OFFENSE.
This is simply a fundraiser to raise money for stadium upgrades. It is NOT an investment in ownership of the team.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:04 PM   #28
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Jeez. I never suspected this would cause such a response. I thought it was pretty common knowledge that the Packers every several years or so sell "souvenir stock" for lack of a better word.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:08 PM   #29
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Any investor with a modicum of knowledge about financial markets would be outraged at this, including me.

Stock is equity in a company entitling you to a share of the profits. Green Bay is calling this a Common Stock - which is a specific financial term - and then saying on the page that it doesn't entitle you to any profits.

It's incredibly confusing, even if the Packers didn't intend to deceive.

Well said.

If you call something a Common Stock and charge 250 dollars for it many people will believe it is worth something. Its purely a souvenir and a fund raising gimmick, which is fine, but to not clearly disclose that is deceptive.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:09 PM   #30
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
And I'm sure there's a good many people reading this thread and rolling their eyes at the outrage over this, but I'd bet a lot of money that the SEC will have a problem with this.
Why? They tell you that is non voting common stock....many companies have this .The price fluxuates and if it goes up ....you make a profit...as with other stocks,you just have no voting rights,what's the problem?

P.S....also a question, does it pay a dividend .....most don't but some have.

Last edited by Giantone; 12-06-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Closed Thread