I imagine this is the nail in the coffin for TH as well

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-10-2023, 04:52 PM   #17
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Re: Scott Turner Fired

Think we could tempt Johnson away from Philly? Could work wonders with Howell.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 05:03 PM   #18
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I imagine this is the nail in the coffin for TH as well
I think TH nailed his own coffin already, but yes.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 05:49 PM   #19
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Jay Gruden…come on down?

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 06:11 PM   #20
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Jay Gruden…come on down?
R.I.P. #21
Old 01-10-2023, 06:28 PM   #21
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...e-scott-turner

The eye-popping paragraph to me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPN
Near the end, players and others in the organization grumbled about the inconsistency of Washington's offensive philosophy. There appeared to be a divide between Rivera's vision for what he wanted offensively -- led by a power run game -- and Turner's vertical passing attack. During their season-finale news conference, Rivera and general manager Martin Mayhew both emphasized the desire to be more of a physical running team.
So let me get this straight. On a team with McLaurin, Samuel, Dotson, Logan Thomas, and ex-WR Antonio Gibson at RB, Ron and Mayhew want us to be a physical power running team?

I like Brian Robinson, but he's not Derrick Henry. And this gameplan of "we're gonna wear teams down with our physicality and start breaking big gainers in the 4th quarter" only works if the defense holds the other team in check. You can't be a physical running team if you're down by 10+ in the second half.

Ron and Mayhew are trying to take us back to the 80's on this one. If his gameplan is to keep the qb under 20 passes and Robinson over 20 carries every game it remains to be seen whether that can be a winning style.
Old 01-10-2023, 06:48 PM   #22
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post

So let me get this straight. On a team with McLaurin, Samuel, Dotson, Logan Thomas, and ex-WR Antonio Gibson at RB, Ron and Mayhew want us to be a physical power running team?

I like Brian Robinson, but he's not Derrick Henry. And this gameplan of "we're gonna wear teams down with our physicality and start breaking big gainers in the 4th quarter" only works if the defense holds the other team in check. You can't be a physical running team if you're down by 10+ in the second half.

Ron and Mayhew are trying to take us back to the 80's on this one. If his gameplan is to keep the qb under 20 passes and Robinson over 20 carries every game it remains to be seen whether that can be a winning style.
This year, with our QBs and OL, we had to run the ball more than pass it to be successful. But you can't just commit to a we're gonna ram it down everyone's throat every game offense, long-term. Like you said, it's not the 1980's, it's a passing league. You have to be able to throw the ball to compete.

I'm all for a power running scheme, when we do run the ball. But that's different than just saying we're gonna run the ball all game every game.

A good start to a power running game, would be to actually line-up under C sometimes. Can be more of a power running scheme and have better playaction passing out of that too.

I really hope the new OC has way more flexibility/variety on how we line-up. Watching a Turner offense, you'd damn near think it's illegal to take a direct snap.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 06:50 PM   #23
Meks
Pro Bowl

That eye popping paragraph just reinforces me wanting both of them gone. Period.
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 06:55 PM   #24
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

I just don’t see how a power run team can be successful in nfl now. I think the best yiu could ask for is a solid mediocre team, occasional division winner in a weak division but never a Super Bowl contender.
Old 01-10-2023, 06:56 PM   #25
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

I wouldn't be surprised if Ron hired Norv for the vacant OC position.....Norv has a proven track record of calling a balanced offensive scheme.
Old 01-10-2023, 06:58 PM   #26
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:

Running the hell out of the ball is what got us those wins late in the season. I'm more upset that Ron didn't tell Scott to just run the f*cking ball.

Scott Turner called plays as though we had Patrick Mahommes on the team. We don't; we can't be a vertical team with the QBs that we had this season.

Good coaches adjust. Look at what Pete Carroll did when he rolled with Russ as a rookie. He won by running the ball and playing tough defense.

The problem this year is that we had two QBs that just couldn't pass the ball at all. Wentz had the arm but was erratic and inaccurate, and TH had a noodle arm and was inaccurate.

We need to be a power running team and use the run to set up the pass. And we need a QB that can be mobile, with good accuracy, can thrive in play action, and can hit the deep ball when needed. I think Howell can do that next year, and the team can transition to be more passing oriented as he grows as a QB.
R.I.P. #21
Old 01-10-2023, 06:59 PM   #27
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Well its worked for the Titans. Oh, hang on...
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 06:59 PM   #28
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Ron hired Norv for the vacant OC position.....Norv has a proven track record of calling a balanced offensive scheme.
That would be weird. I don't think his dad would take his fired son's position. He's too old anyways, get someone younger.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 07:00 PM   #29
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
Well its worked for the Titans. Oh, hang on...
It stopped working for the Titans because Tannehill didn't improve as a passer.
R.I.P. #21
Old 01-10-2023, 07:28 PM   #30
jamf
Pro Bowl

Quote:

Let’s be honest Mooby, Samuels and Thomas aren’t elite pass catchers. Their best years are behind them and even the. They weren’t standouts.
Also, if you don’t have a QB you better be able to run the ball.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote