Moss traded to Raiders

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-23-2005, 05:24 PM   #16
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Re: Moss traded to Raiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbag2112
Damn Kerry Collins...people are gonna think he's good now.
I'd take Kerry Collins over Mark Brunell.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-23-2005, 05:35 PM   #17
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

What I wanna know is this: What is good ol Norv gonna do when Moss has one of his "moments"? Can you imagine those two going at it on the sidelines? It's gonna be interesting to see how those two get along.
Redskins_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 05:37 PM   #18
e16bball
Special Teams

I'm not really sure why either team would team would do this trade. Oakland just resigned Jerry Porter to a big contract, and it didnt really seem to be the sort of money you pay a #2 guy. Also, their defensive front 7 was atrocious this season, and now they are giving up possibly the best player in that group to pick up more offense? I know its Al Davis, but geez...Nap Harris, if my memory serves me, is a middle linebacker and the Vikes already have our very own local boy EJ Henderson manning the middle for years to come. This isn't to say that he couldnt switch to Sam LB, but why would the Vikes give up Moss just to get a decent LB who may or may not fit and a high draft pick? It seems like a pretty bad trade on both sides, especially when you consider that the Raiders, after their last batch of moves, resigning Porter and franchising Woodson, are now significantly OVER the cap, at least according to AskTheCommish.com's latest numbers, which were updated today. I'm not really sure how they plan on picking up 7.5 million more when they are already nearly 12 million over as it is. And I was under the impression also that they planned to make a big push for Lamont Jordan, which would be a much more prudent move on their part.

Normally I would be all for this idiotic trade, but I fear this idiotic trade is going to cost us Mike Williams. And that is really very bad news indeed.
e16bball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 05:38 PM   #19
e16bball
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven
I'd take Kerry Collins over Mark Brunell.
Yes, but I would also take a monkey we taught to throw footballs over Mark Brunell.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:39 PM   #20
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I can't remember where I read this, but I remember reading somewhere that the Vikings were disappointed that Henderson wasn't grasping the defensive schemes

I'll see if I can find a link
Old 02-23-2005, 05:41 PM   #21
CRT3
Impact Rookie

Kiss Williams and Edwards goodbye
Old 02-23-2005, 05:42 PM   #22
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by e16bball
Yes, but I would also take a monkey we taught to throw footballs over Mark Brunell.

Point taken.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 06:21 PM   #23
PSUskinsfan11
Impact Rookie

yea they could still draft defense but who would they take?? I would say Derrick Williams but they just got Harris and still have Henderson and Claborne. They might take Antrel Rolle to help put at their week CB spot opposite Winfield and the took Udeze last year so I don't really see them going after a D-lineman. Looks like unless they need help at O-line we are stuck with getting which ever 3rd WR is left, more then likely Williamson
PSUskinsfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 06:29 PM   #24
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by e16bball
Hell I'd pick my daughter to throw fotballs over Mark Burnell and she probably thinks a foot ball is a new kind of shoe. You know the more I think about it if i was a receiver and played for a qb that bad and the coach left him in for nine games I would want to be traded to.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 06:33 PM   #25
itvnetop
Playmaker

wow, i've been reading raider and viking boards and i've gotta say that i've never seen a trade where fans of both teams are pissed. raider fans are mostly upset because although they added the best wideout in the game, they still don't have a running back and their defense just got weaker (especially if they plan on losing a tagged woodson, plus harris, plus the 7th pick which was going to be a defensive player).

vikings fans are pissed b/c they're giving up the best receiver in the league for a draft pick that may turn out to be defensive player who won't help immediately. i'm not so sure we'd lose williams to them- remember, Burleson may have impressed the Vikings enough to earn their trust as a no. 1... if any team takes him away from us, it may be the Titans (who just cut mason and have chow as their OC- the guy that coached BMW at SC).
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 06:50 PM   #26
e16bball
Special Teams

As far as the Vikings pick, I think currently Derrick Johnson is the most likely pick. Sure, they added Harris and have Thomas and Henderson (Claiborne is gone in FA) but that is not an impressive LB corps. DJ is a stud, and I think they won't pass up a chance to get him. WR is of course an option as well, but they do already have Burleson and Robinson. I think a more likely course of action is them taking defense at number 7 and then taking Mark Clayton at number 18. The guy dominated the Senior Bowl and showed very impressive routes and hands. Also, he would benefit greatly from playing in the slot, since he is small and has trouble with press coverage, and those two big guys on the outside would allow him to do that. Another sleeper pick at number 7 could be Antrel Rolle. He has the versatility to play both CB and FS, and would be a great pickup for that defense, especially since they are getting fed up with Brian Russell, and Brian Williams (the number 2 corner) is a FA.

Also, I don't think the Titans are likely to take a WR, even with the Norm Chow connection. Jeff Fisher loves tough defense, and I think they will instead opt for a corner like Rolle or Pac-Man (since they lost Samari and could also lose Andre Dyson) or even DJ. They have Drew Bennett who dominated last year and also Tyrone Calico who was very promising last season before falling victim to a season-ending Roy Williams slide tackle. I think they are much more likely to take a WR in perhaps rounds 2 or 3 (possibly Roscoe Parrish, who reminds me a great deal of Derrick Mason).
Old 02-23-2005, 06:54 PM   #27
monk81
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins_P
What I wanna know is this: What is good ol Norv gonna do when Moss has one of his "moments"? Can you imagine those two going at it on the sidelines? It's gonna be interesting to see how those two get along.

Yes it should be interesting, but you have to admit that Moss is definitely one of those misfits that Al Davis loves..................
monk81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 08:21 PM   #28
drew54
The Starter

BADNEWS: Minnesota getting the #7 is a kick to the balls. We definately should trade out of # 9 now and move down to the next best WR, and hopefully land a 2nd in the process.

GOODNEWS: At least we are thowing caution(and cap room) to the wind in trying to land Randy in DC. And hes not going to an NFC team.

Good luck with him Norv.
drew54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 08:37 PM   #29
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

e16bball:

EJ Henderson was one of the major reason that the Vikings' defense was "substandard" last year. So the thought of having him anchoring the defense for years to come is probably a critical factor in Minny making this trade. EJ may be a "local guy" but as a MLB he leaves a lot to be desired.
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 08:54 PM   #30
e16bball
Special Teams

I disagree actually...EJ definitely struggles against the pass, but against the run he is one of the best young MLBs in the league...the real problem for the Vikings is the inconsistent production from the SLB spot, where they had Dontarrious Thomas and Keith Newman playing all year. Also, they are most likely losing Claiborne in FA. If you assume Claiborne is gone, EJ is the best LB they have. Why not take a deal like the one the Ravens apparently offered that included Adalius Thomas and more picks? I guess basically my point is, they are at least solid at the moment at MLB, even if EJ is no all-star. At OLB, they are in big trouble, yet they trade their best player for a MLB? They must be targeting Derrick Johnson with that 7th pick, its the only way this makes sense.