Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Pierce Expected to Become UFA

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-23-2005, 08:26 AM   #16
CRT3
Impact Rookie

Re: Pierce Expected to Become UFA

The real question is, has Danny and the Redskins ever lost a Spring of publicity and the top team in Free Agency. They missed on one or 2 last year but all in all they were the cream of the crop in the NFL. So should we doubt them on this. Sure we might lose a few players but those aare guys that are after the money and as we saw with N.E. a whole team wins. Smoot I don't mind losing even though he will have to be replaced but apparently we replaced Bailey last year pretty successfully with Spriggs. Be patient as Redskin One is being cleanned and fueled for takeoff next Monday night.

Advertisements
Old 02-23-2005, 08:26 AM   #17
MTK
\m/

If Pierce leaves we'd better hope Barrow can get back to 100%, or perhaps someone like Marshall can slide in to the middle like Pierce did last year.

Imagine an offseason where we lose Smoot, Pierce and Coles?! It could become a reality.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:58 AM   #18
MTK
\m/

I know this stinks but it's time for us to face reality. We can't just re-sign everybody and then turn around and pursue every major free agent on the market. Every NFL team has these sort of contract battles each offseason, time for us to take some lumps.

I'd love to see guys like Smoot and Pierce back in Redskins uniforms next year, but they have to be back at the right price. The team obviously has a number in mind for what these guys are worth, and surprise, surprise the players think they are worth more.

Hopefully we can find a middle ground and get these guys back, I think we are bound to lose one of them, but losing both of them will be hard to swallow.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:10 AM   #19
BrudLee
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRT3
The real question is, has Danny and the Redskins ever lost a Spring of publicity and the top team in Free Agency. They missed on one or 2 last year but all in all they were the cream of the crop in the NFL. So should we doubt them on this. Sure we might lose a few players but those aare guys that are after the money and as we saw with N.E. a whole team wins. Smoot I don't mind losing even though he will have to be replaced but apparently we replaced Bailey last year pretty successfully with Spriggs. Be patient as Redskin One is being cleanned and fueled for takeoff next Monday night.
I would say that the Eagles made a much bigger free agent splash than we did last year. Owens and Kearse were the prizes, and they got more than their money's worth out of Trotter. Among our "big name" signings - Brunell, Daniels, and Barrow. One didn't play, one played sparingly, and one played himself out of a job.

Also, as much as I'd like to follow the New England paradigm, we have a culture of acquisition to overcome. This team has been about acquiring the biggest name for a long time, and that isn't something that can be turned of like a faucet.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:35 AM   #20
CRT3
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrudLee
I would say that the Eagles made a much bigger free agent splash than we did last year. Owens and Kearse were the prizes, and they got more than their money's worth out of Trotter. Among our "big name" signings - Brunell, Daniels, and Barrow. One didn't play, one played sparingly, and one played himself out of a job.

Also, as much as I'd like to follow the New England paradigm, we have a culture of acquisition to overcome. This team has been about acquiring the biggest name for a long time, and that isn't something that can be turned of like a faucet.
Agreement on all 3 that you stated. But we signed Pierce, Spriggs, Washington, Griffth, Walt Harris, Tupa, and traded for Trash and Portis. We also drafted Taylor and Cooley. Those are just thenames that pop to my head. So I consider we did pretty good. The Eagles had 2 major ones and much needed areas. Did they win the Super Bowl, which was the supposed goal of these 2 major aquasitions. Expect them to be in Salary cap hell in a few years. They drafted 2 corners in the draft a few years ago because they saw big contract comming due. My personal feeling is the NFL should adopt the Lary Bird rule into there cap. Or at least luxury tax those who go over the cap just like MLB. Mini George would love this.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:37 AM   #21
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

It would be terrible to start losing all these players, but I think this is one of those "Going to get worse before it gets better" situations. Snyder has had a history of over-paying and now it is coming back to bite him in the ass.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:38 AM   #22
CRT3
Impact Rookie

He has a history of getting good players to. Players want to come here and with Gibbs here it can only get better. They were pretty close last year.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:53 AM   #23
BrudLee
Playmaker

Quote:
Agreement on all 3 that you stated. But we signed Pierce, Spriggs, Washington, Griffth, Walt Harris, Tupa, and traded for Trash and Portis. We also drafted Taylor and Cooley. Those are just thenames that pop to my head. So I consider we did pretty good. The Eagles had 2 major ones and much needed areas. Did they win the Super Bowl, which was the supposed goal of these 2 major aquasitions. Expect them to be in Salary cap hell in a few years. They drafted 2 corners in the draft a few years ago because they saw big contract comming due. My personal feeling is the NFL should adopt the Lary Bird rule into there cap. Or at least luxury tax those who go over the cap just like MLB. Mini George would love this.
Those you listed were all good signings (Pierce was already here, but the rest were new), but were they all "impact" signings? Washington, Springs, and Griffin clearly were. Harris was very good in nickel duty - good enough that the team isn't desperate to retain Smoot - but he was just the nickel CB. The best punter in the world is still just a punter (and check the archives - I was on the Tupa train before the signing took place). I love Thrash as a Redskin because of his special teams play and attitude, but as a big time acquisition, he falls short (especially since we possibly could have gotten him without trading the pick). Portis is a monster, but if the two arguments (1 - we paid too much too get him, and 2 - he isn't that much better than Betts) are valid, then Portis doesn't count as an impact signing either. (I don't agree with the Portis-bashers, I'm just stating their points)

As for Taylor and Cooley, we have been overdue for a draft pick that turned out the way he was supposed to. Taylor shows flashes of brilliance, and Cooley will be garnering Pro Bowl votes very soon (especially if the NFL continues to list him as a fullback). But since every team gets to draft players, I didn't consider them in the same light as the free agents. I believe we had a great draft last year, but the free agent class will be remembered for it's mistakes rather than its successes.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:58 AM   #24
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

I wonder what kind of money Pierce is asking for? I really hope we get him resigned.
Redskins_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 10:06 AM   #25
CRT3
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Those you listed were all good signings (Pierce was already here, but the rest were new), but were they all "impact" signings? Washington, Springs, and Griffin clearly were. Harris was very good in nickel duty - good enough that the team isn't desperate to retain Smoot - but he was just the nickel CB. The best punter in the world is still just a punter (and check the archives - I was on the Tupa train before the signing took place). I love Thrash as a Redskin because of his special teams play and attitude, but as a big time acquisition, he falls short (especially since we possibly could have gotten him without trading the pick). Portis is a monster, but if the two arguments (1 - we paid too much too get him, and 2 - he isn't that much better than Betts) are valid, then Portis doesn't count as an impact signing either. (I don't agree with the Portis-bashers, I'm just stating their points)
Ok I can see your point about the drafted players. Pierce was a RFA last year and had a offer from the Vikings, which the Redskins matched. So that was a good match. Everybody puts there news into the failures and forgets about the successes. We had far more successes last year then failures. Brunnel is a failure and Daniels supposbly provides great leadership. Barrow is still on the team and if he performs this year then you might eat your words on that one. And there is no doubt in my mind Portis was a great deal.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:28 AM   #26
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Whoever alluded to the Patriots, do you think they'd be in team mentallity if they were winning 5 or 6 games a season? I doubt it, we're going to see guys (like Patton) come out and get overpaid because they have their championships so they're ready to make a buck elsewhere. Winning cures a LOT of problems. I honestly think these guys are curious about what they can get on the market

I also stand that Smoot is more important than Pierce. Barrow, Marshall, someone can play MLB. We have lots of young good LBs. We're quite a bit shorter at corner. I'd like to keep them all, but let's wait and see what happens.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 10:30 AM   #27
BrudLee
Playmaker

Quote:
Ok I can see your point about the drafted players. Pierce was a RFA last year and had a offer from the Vikings, which the Redskins matched. So that was a good match. Everybody puts there news into the failures and forgets about the successes. We had far more successes last year then failures. Brunnel is a failure and Daniels supposbly provides great leadership. Barrow is still on the team and if he performs this year then you might eat your words on that one. And there is no doubt in my mind Portis was a great deal.
Agreed. We're actually on the same page pretty much. I would do the Portis deal again in a heartbeat, Daniels has an injury he is expected to receover from, and Brunell was an absolute flop. I had also forgotten about Pierce nearly leaving - thanks for the reminder.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:14 AM   #28
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:

Yes the Eagles did a good job in free agency but it was all in vain. Kearse was dominated in the superbowl and Owens was Owens And Donavan Mcpuked. LOL They maybe a great team but they have failed all four years. OH, I wised we could fail a little like that.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 11:21 AM   #29
MTK
\m/

3 straight NFC Championships and a SB appearance? I wish we had those sort of problems.

Say what you will about the Eagles, but for the last 4 years they've been one of the best teams in the NFC and the entire league.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:27 AM   #30
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
3 straight NFC Championships and a SB appearance? I wish we had those sort of problems.

Say what you will about the Eagles, but for the last 4 years they've been one of the best teams in the NFC and the entire league.
I agree If you notice I ended by saying I wish we could fail like that.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote