Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Lets make a deal

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-22-2005, 07:44 PM   #16
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: Lets make a deal

And by the way, if he doesn't give back any of his bonus, I'd keep him and say tough shit, play out your contract. The Skins can't afford a 9.28 million hit this year.

Incidentally, you know what, I'll bet Coles would actually be glad he ended up staying if it worked out that way. Ramsey's QB rating was in the 80s in games he started, compared to Brunell's 63. The offense began to move the ball last year, and it can only get better from here as the coaches find the right way to use Portis, mix in Betts, lean on Cooley in the middle, and find ways to go deep which they've pledged to do.

I know it's LC's career and his call to make, but I think it's a mistake and doesn't make any rational sense.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-22-2005, 07:57 PM   #17
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Schneed - how many times DURING the year did they pledge to go deep, or even worse say they DID go deep.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 08:11 PM   #18
offiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCopper04
To start things off, under no circumstances would I let Coles walk. We must get something for him. This means that he will have to convert a large portion of his bonus into base salary, and work out an agreement with the other team on a new contract. If he does not agree to giving up his bonus along with being traded, then we must keep him. We cannot absorb a $9M cap hit because Coles is unsatisfied with his 90 receptions.

The odds of us getting a great deal for him are slim, but I think we would do well to try and fill a void by either getting a solid player at a needed position or getting a draft pick (likely a 2nd rounder.) All of this speculation about getting Abraham is nonsense. Abraham's value outweighs Coles' by a longshot. In the best case scenario, I see us getting a 2nd rounder so that we can draft an interior lineman. That gets rid of a problem player and helps to fill one of our main needs.

Agreed, if we can't bring back some quality I keep him, if he really want's out he will do whatever he has to to make sure that his departure is cap friendly, as well as player or draft pick friendly for us, if he's unwilling to do so then he doesn't want out bad enough, Coles is not a problem player like a Moss and so on, I believe he would still conduct himself like a professional even if he end's up staying on with us.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 08:25 PM   #19
Funbunchfan
Camp Scrub

I like what the washington times reported about a trade involviing L.C. for abraham and possibly throw morton in to sweeten the deal. Then aquire derek mason and draft hopefully edwards.
Funbunchfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 08:26 PM   #20
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Well - if we keep him I think he'll play. Remember how bad Ty Law wanted out of NE?
Old 02-22-2005, 08:33 PM   #21
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

In one sense, the Skins are totally in the drivers' seat. Unless they do something with LC - release him or trade him - he is under contract with the Skins and there's not a whole lot he can do about that and still get paid. So they can keep him of they want to - - sort of like in indentured servitude.

On the other hand, they have a lot of money and cap room invested in him and if he REALLY doesn't want to be here, they would be nuts to try to force him to do that.

So let's say I'm the GM for the Raiders and I need a WR who can get deep because all I want to do is play vertical pass offense. I'd love to have LC on my team because I'll convince him to shoot his foot with cortisone once a month and when his foot is sound he can fly. However, I know there is some "trouble in paradise" back there in DC between LC and the "organization". So when I call back to the Skins organization and somebody tells me that all you'll take for LC is a first round pick this year and a player, I'll tell you to break off another dildo in your ass. Here's my counter offer: I'll take your reluctant warrior off your hands and if he gives you back $2M of his signing bonus to make your cap hit less onerous, I'll reimburse him that amount of money AND I'll give you a fourth round pick next year. Why that pick? Well TO was a guy who wanted out of SF and Philly got him for a 2nd round pick and LC is good but he ain't no TO. Take it or leave it, Danny Boy. You can get a little cap room and a draft pick next year - or you can keep LC or you can release him and I'll sign him in a heartbeat. Your move...

Or the Skins can keep a player here who does not want to be here and pay him a LOT of money for the rest of his contract...

If I'm the Jets' GM, I would not pay a nickel of that outrageous signing bonus that the Skins paid to LC with the sole intent of making it impossible for the Jets to resign him. AND if the Skins want Abraham - who I just put my franchise tag on - you can have Abraham for Coles PLUS your first round pick this year. Deal with it.
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 08:36 PM   #22
Schneed10
A Dude

Daseal, going deep to me isn't the end-all be-all of this situation. If Coles' only motivation in all this is that he be used as a deep threat, then that's pathetic and I say good riddance. But I think it's more than that, and my point was just that the Skins offense was improving at the end of last year. And given how good the D was, I think things are looking up for them next season. If Coles is upset because he thinks the team is destined to lose, then ok I can understand wanting to leave (though I'd disagree with that). But if he just wants out because he wants to be a deep threat, and winning or losing isn't the issue, then good riddance, I'm glad he's leaving.

If the unhappiness doesn't have to do with wins and losses, cry me a f-ing river and take a hike. Bottom line is you play to win, not for a certain number of TD catches.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 09:38 PM   #23
MTK
\m/

Well said once again, Schneed10
Old 02-22-2005, 09:56 PM   #24
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I think he feels going deep can aleviate that problem some. The win/loss column would be effected by the deep ball a lot. Gives us the chance for a game-breaking play, it makes teams respect that ball, and it gives Clinton Portis more room and the occassional 1v1 matchup on a LB or DB that he is often able to exploit. He's not happy with the offense as a whole, and the deep ball is part of that. That's my guess.

We'll never truely know. Im just ready for the season to start.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:57 PM   #25
offiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon
In one sense, the Skins are totally in the drivers' seat. Unless they do something with LC - release him or trade him - he is under contract with the Skins and there's not a whole lot he can do about that and still get paid. So they can keep him of they want to - - sort of like in indentured servitude.

On the other hand, they have a lot of money and cap room invested in him and if he REALLY doesn't want to be here, they would be nuts to try to force him to do that.

So let's say I'm the GM for the Raiders and I need a WR who can get deep because all I want to do is play vertical pass offense. I'd love to have LC on my team because I'll convince him to shoot his foot with cortisone once a month and when his foot is sound he can fly. However, I know there is some "trouble in paradise" back there in DC between LC and the "organization". So when I call back to the Skins organization and somebody tells me that all you'll take for LC is a first round pick this year and a player, I'll tell you to break off another dildo in your ass. Here's my counter offer: I'll take your reluctant warrior off your hands and if he gives you back $2M of his signing bonus to make your cap hit less onerous, I'll reimburse him that amount of money AND I'll give you a fourth round pick next year. Why that pick? Well TO was a guy who wanted out of SF and Philly got him for a 2nd round pick and LC is good but he ain't no TO. Take it or leave it, Danny Boy. You can get a little cap room and a draft pick next year - or you can keep LC or you can release him and I'll sign him in a heartbeat. Your move...

Or the Skins can keep a player here who does not want to be here and pay him a LOT of money for the rest of his contract...

If I'm the Jets' GM, I would not pay a nickel of that outrageous signing bonus that the Skins paid to LC with the sole intent of making it impossible for the Jets to resign him. AND if the Skins want Abraham - who I just put my franchise tag on - you can have Abraham for Coles PLUS your first round pick this year. Deal with it.

SC, you are not comparing apples to apples here, TO's situation was totally different from Coles TO was a free agent, the 9er's tried to get something for him when it appeared that he didn't file for free agency in time but they never took into account the clause in his contract that made him a free agent regardless of filing, Philli didn't have to give up anything if they didn't want to that pick was to save face for all involved and for the aggrevation the Raven's were put through the NFL put a little pressure on Philli to throw the raven's of san fran [which ever] a bone but that pick was out of sympathy and nothing more, I don't know how you could come to the conclusion that a player of TO's magnitude is only worth a 2nd rd pick, TO's trade value start's at 2 #1's.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote