Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

S.I. Top 10 Superbowl Coaches

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-25-2006, 10:18 PM   #16
bertoskins
Special Teams

Re: S.I. Top 10 Superbowl Coaches

if Gibbs won sb in this era, it can be verified that he is better the beilichick
bertoskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-25-2006, 10:24 PM   #17
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea
I'm torn on the Belichick vs Gibbs thing. Gibbs won 3 Super Bowls with 3 different quarterbacks and 3 different running backs, but Belichick did it at a time when it wasn't supposed to be done. You're not supposed to be able to have dynasties at this time and the Patriots certainly became one. Hard to call.
We always hear this, that the system as it's set up now is not designed to sustain dynasties. But while the rules have changed, the smartest, craftiest, and luckiest coaches and organizations will always adapt -- and a few teams have already found ways to do it. The Patriots, Eagles, Colts, maybe the Broncos ... it's all about who's the quickest to adjust to the new rules of the league and the salary cap and take advantage of it.

While the salary cap has given the NFL a complete makeover from the "legacy teams" of the 80's, it still hasn't really demolished the concept of dynasties today. Instead of the 49ers, Redskins, Bills, and Cowboys of the 80's and early 90's, there are just different teams doing it.

In short, the rules are different, but the results are the same.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:24 PM   #18
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

wait until next year
Old 01-25-2006, 10:27 PM   #19
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea
As for Gibbs, no shot at him, but wasn't the team with Rypien and Byner pretty much intact the next season? I don't remember cause I'm too damn young.
Injuries and age began to take their toll on the Redskins after the '91 championship season. That, along with the fact that Dallas was able to hoard young talent seemingly out of nowhere -- and they absolutely dominated from 1992 -1995.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:32 PM   #20
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

You know whats funny is that if the Patriots had won the Super Bowl when Parcells was their coach then The Tuna would have become the second coach ever to win 3 Super Bowls w/ 3 different QB's. Instead he has to settle for 2.
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 12:12 AM   #21
70Chip
Playmaker

It will be interesting to see where Belichuk stands in ten years. It may turn out that Brady was the real difference with them.

These guys stand apart to me:

1. Chuck Noll because as we all now know his quarterback was a mental defective.

2. Bill Parcells because as we all now know his quarterback was a mental defective. (I'm not talking about Hostetler either)

3. Joe Gibbs becuase he did it with three quarterbacks who don't even get a sniff of a mention for the Hall.

4. Tom Flores on the basis of his SB 18 upset. He had his teams ready to play both times he got the chance in the Big Game.

5. Hank Stram for shamelessly hamming it up for the NFL Films microphones in Super Bowl 4.

6.Don McCafferty (For managing to avoid the notoriety that usually goes with winning the Big One.)

7. Weeb Ewbank for having a first half of the 20th century coach's name.

8. Marv Levy for coining the phrase "over-officious jerk"

9. Tie: Red Miller, Ray Malavasi, and John Rauch ( see McCafferty, Don #6 above)
Old 01-26-2006, 07:37 AM   #22
BrudLee
Playmaker

I find it difficult to argue with being below Belicheck or Noll. Personally, I'd rate Gibbs over Belicheck, but the free agency era makes it difficult to keep excellence together, and Belicheck has done that.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:56 AM   #23
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven
Injuries and age began to take their toll on the Redskins after the '91 championship season. That, along with the fact that Dallas was able to hoard young talent seemingly out of nowhere -- and they absolutely dominated from 1992 -1995.
they made the trade and ended up turning it into over 20 draft picks. It wasn't out of nowhere, they took advantage of a really really really stupid front office.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:10 AM   #24
That Guy
Living Legend

I'd have to put lombardi up first. He forced expectations for coaches way up and helped make the league more competitive. Then knoll i guess, besides the mental defect at QB, he also had the ONLY superbowl team to win with 100% homegrown players (not a single one played on any other team besides the steelers)... before free agency it was easier to do that of course, but since 1979 (78?) no one else has done it.

belichick and gibbs and parcells are all pretty close, but i got to go gibbs, parcells, belichick (cause he has the best QB out of all of them). Then Walsh for winning a billion games (he had the talent though). Johnson for winning a billion games (loaded team too), and then I like stram too cause he hammed it up really well and i still laugh when they replay that.

so there's 8, after that it falls off a bit. shannahan i guess gets an honorable mention, but there's a lot of talk of winning dirty (paying players under the table to lower their salarie and make cap room, the massive cut blocking, etc).
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:49 AM   #25
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1
1. Walsh
2. Noll
3. Gibbs
4. Belichick
5. Lombardi
6. Parcells
7. Johnson

Once Gibbs wins another SB he'll be at the top of the list, for a long long time.
Honeslty, if Gibbs wins another Super Bowl, he might be the greatest head coach of all time.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 09:00 AM   #26
MTK
\m/

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but if Holmgren wins another one he'd be the first to win with two different teams. He may have to be figured into the debate if that happens.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:01 AM   #27
Jason72
Special Teams

No way Lombardi is behind Johnson.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:03 AM   #28
skns03
Camp Scrub

i would put gibbs number 2 chuck noll i think is over rated but billechiek should be there
skns03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 09:16 AM   #29
VTSkins897
Impact Rookie

i completely agree with the statement that another super bowl makes him the greatest of all time. 4 different QBs, 2 different eras, etc. As it stands though i'd put belichek over gibbs for now just because it's harder to maintain that continuity and keep your core players. i mean didn't the NFC playoffs have a grand total of 0 teams that were in the playoffs last year? i don't remember exactly but i think so. so these days to win 3 in 4 yrs is pretty damn good.
VTSkins897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 10:16 AM   #30
gibbs4life
Special Teams

gibbs vs belichick........

gibbs has three bill has three so they are tied there but gibbs like everybody else has won with three different QB,s.the difference to me is gibbs has won three nascar titles while bill was winning with the patriots.
to bill,s credit he has done a damn good job with new england to say the least.

i would say gibbs by a slim margin.