Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Could Doug Williams be next?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-19-2009, 04:08 AM   #16
warpaint
The Starter

Re: Could Doug Williams be next?

I do like that he has always had good o-linemen and a nice running game. Him coming here would really put CP out the picture. I dont mind him coming here once he puts the B&G on Ill be behind him maybe the new scenery and the time off might be what he needs.

Advertisements
Old 12-19-2009, 08:27 AM   #17
wolfeskins
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
I think Shanny runs a variation of the WCO, but not the same style as we currently see here now. Also, we can expect more finese and zone blocking along the offesive line.

yea, it's somewhat different. i've always liked the broncos offense under shanny. i like the way he moves the qb out of the pocket with a lot of rollouts and such, but i'm not sure if that would be good for campbell. campbell is more of a pocket passer.

colt brennan could be a good fit for shanny's rollout offense though
Old 12-19-2009, 08:44 AM   #18
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpaint View Post
What exactly does Director of Pro Personnel do?

Now if this is the case wouldnt it lean more to Gruden coming here. When we were on Monday Night earlier in the year Gruden looked so intense when they would cut to him as he was breaking down the team. He was standing up with his chucky glare in full force. Now I havent seen him that way with any other team.

What offense does Shanahan run? I believe Gruden runs the WCO.
Director of Pro Personnel is responsible for scouting of current NFL players, CFL players, UFL, etc. He oversees what free agents to go after, trades to make, oversees the practice squads. His own teams and others. Oversees advanced scouting, keeps an eye on all NFL transaction workouts, oversees in-season try-outs.

Loyal readers of the Warpath know that DW was mentioned as an option here many months back.

I did give Matty inaccurate information in my text to him last night though. Williams doesn't necessarily think he has more upside in Tampa. He think he may not have as much upside in DC. Williams is not as highly considered as far as being an exec as Morocco Brown.

I wonder if Brown gets bumped up (and Scott Campbell out) and Williams comes in under Brown?
Old 12-19-2009, 09:31 AM   #19
Longtimefan
Playmaker

I would have no problem with Doug Williams having some position with the team if Bruce Allen wanted to re-unite him with the community.

We have a young man in place that IMO is more than qualified to do what Doug would come here to do. Nothing against him, I just think Morocco Brown has a great future.

GTripp, SFREDSKIN, 53fan, it's good to see you all feel the same way I do as far as what could/should/needs to be done to keep Zorn here as coach. It's not likely going to happen, but contrary to the belief of many I'm not convinced any of these new/different coaches will prove to be any better than Zorn could eventually turn out to be.

No one is going to argue the fact that Zorn has not made mistakes as a HC but let's be real, what coach with as little experience as Zorn has hasn't? I actually expected his mistakes and thought it would be worse because of his limited experience. All of what happened on his watch was not due to coaching, there were circumstances beyond his control that contributed to his demise.

Sometimes change is good, but only if you're convinced change is for the better as opposed to change for the sake of it. The grass is not always greener, and because a coach had success somewhere else dosen't neccessarily mean that once he crosses the Potomac that success is going to translate..........my rant is over.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:33 AM   #20
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Well the more football minds the better... Shanahan will instantly make us a playoff contender every year that he is here!!
Mike Shanahan isn't god. He can't block for the QB. Or he can't make 23 yard FG's. You win with players, not coaches.
skinsfan69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:37 AM   #21
skinsfan69
Living Legend

It's a nice public relations move but I'm not sure about bringing in Doug. Does he have a successful history of scouting players? Is he any better than Brown or Campbell? In the end Allen is going to bring in his own guys so I'm sure Williams will be here soon.
skinsfan69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:53 AM   #22
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Director of Pro Personnel is responsible for scouting of current NFL players, CFL players, UFL, etc. He oversees what free agents to go after, trades to make, oversees the practice squads. His own teams and others. Oversees advanced scouting, keeps an eye on all NFL transaction workouts, oversees in-season try-outs.

Loyal readers of the Warpath know that DW was mentioned as an option here many months back.

I did give Matty inaccurate information in my text to him last night though. Williams doesn't necessarily think he has more upside in Tampa. He think he may not have as much upside in DC. Williams is not as highly considered as far as being an exec as Morocco Brown.

I wonder if Brown gets bumped up (and Scott Campbell out) and Williams comes in under Brown?
Do you think that we might keep Scott Campbell?
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:57 AM   #23
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:

I hope Brown and Campbell both stay with Brown possibly getting a promotion. As far as Williams, i don't really see any reason to bring him in. Seems too much like a publicity stunt to me. If we bring in anyone from the outside, I'd much rather have DeCosta.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:09 PM   #24
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
I hope Brown and Campbell both stay with Brown possibly getting a promotion. As far as Williams, i don't really see any reason to bring him in. Seems too much like a publicity stunt to me. If we bring in anyone from the outside, I'd much rather have DeCosta.
I don't know that I'd call it a publicity 'stunt' but it probably would be equal parts PR and football. I don't think DeCosta would come over for a lateral position.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:14 PM   #25
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Do you think that we might keep Scott Campbell?
I don't know. I mean he must be doing something right to stay through so many regimes and move up the ladder.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:16 PM   #26
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
I don't know that I'd call it a publicity 'stunt' but it probably would be equal parts PR and football. I don't think DeCosta would come over for a lateral position.
probably not, unless they offered him more money and/or responsiblity.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:26 PM   #27
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Mike Shanahan isn't god. He can't block for the QB. Or he can't make 23 yard FG's. You win with players, not coaches.
Exactly!! Shanny will bring players in that can get the job done.. Zorn never had control of bringing in his own players.. Mike And Bruce will get the right guys for their system.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:38 PM   #28
warpaint
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
This is true, but good coaching can turn good players into great ones.

If L.Landry would be coached up he could be turned into one very good player only his abilities are not being fined tuned. He gots speed and has the balls to put a hit on you. It just noone is telling him to ease of the the hit stick its as they incourage it for instance him biting on the double move of here lately. Fundementals like wrapping up the runner has been a big thing this year not just for Laron but every one else. That all start with the coaching I agree a coach cant block or kick but he can coach'em up if he is any good.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:58 PM   #29
warpaint
The Starter

Quote:

Thats an important job. He has done will with filling in the holes he has had to fill due to injuries. I never would have imagined it.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:37 PM   #30
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Here's his bio from Tampa;

Buccaneers.com | Staff
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote