Marriage made in heaven?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-17-2009, 03:23 PM   #16
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Marriage made in heaven?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardskin2982 View Post
How good is Doug Williams as a college scout? Would Morraco Brown and he be an upgrade over what we have now?
I don't necessarily think so. I mean Williams seems to be ok, but I don't know that he's much better than what we have now. Williams hasn't had the full responsibility of overseeing an entire draft, which is different from picking and choosing certain players. I mean it's one thing to say I'm going to paint this room, and another to say I'm going to build this house.

Advertisements
Old 12-17-2009, 03:35 PM   #17
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I don't necessarily think so. I mean Williams seems to be ok, but I don't know that he's much better than what we have now. Williams hasn't had the full responsibility of overseeing an entire draft, which is different from picking and choosing certain players. I mean it's one thing to say I'm going to paint this room, and another to say I'm going to build this house.
yeah, I was wondering how much experience he has actually had in building a team's draft board. He's never seemed to get credit for personel moves at tampa, but seems to be fairly highly regarded for something.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:36 PM   #18
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
yeah, I was wondering how much experience he has actually had in building a team's draft board. He's never seemed to get credit for personel moves at tampa, but seems to be fairly highly regarded for something.
He has a great rapport with the players. They trust him, they respect him.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:45 PM   #19
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Scott Campbell reportedly leaving as well. From nearly promoted to out the door. Can't confirm that yet though
Old 12-17-2009, 03:50 PM   #20
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Scott Campbell reportedly leaving as well. From nearly promoted to out the door. Can't confirm that yet though
How about Morocco? I hope he's staying.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:52 PM   #21
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
I think he's staying but I don't know.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:06 PM   #22
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
Morocco is a bright young mind, would be nice if he could stick around. Change brings about uncertainty.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:59 PM   #23
backrow
The Starter

Quote:
It's definitely an upgrade over VC, I guess Danny does listen to the fans or is a lurker in this forum. If Allen hires another FO person like JLC mentioned, I would like to see Eric DeCosta, followed, by Bobby DePaul.
One thing I can say with certainty is I am not LDS!
Old 12-17-2009, 08:01 PM   #24
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

"Marriages are not made in heaven, they're made in hell."
-What Gene Simmons would say.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:09 PM   #25
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Can anyone chime in of the differences between Shannahan vs. Gruden vs. Zorn west coast offenses?

Like everyone else i am happy to see the gelling of the offense over the last few weeks, primarily since the arrival of Lewis. I would like to see more of the same in regards to that; however, i dont think Zorn is a very good HC. So I would have to lead towards Gurden since ive heard they have similar west coast versions and Gruden has experience with Lewis from their GB days.

But I like the coaching style of Shannahan more. So if Shannahan’s offense is as close or closer to the west coast version Gurden runs I would rather have him. But again, I think it would be great if someone could lay out the basic difference between the 3 styles (if any significant).

For QB, I am for bringing back JC all day long, and address the Oline issues before even considering anther QB either though the draft or FA. Fix the oline then next year decide if you really need a QB. This is my biggest concern about Gruden. He has a hard on for quarterbacks that cant be ignored. I am afraid that he would want to make a immediate change at QB before addressing why QB’s haven’t seceded here in the last 15+ years. He might even carry 4-5 qb’s on the roster.

I'm not expert on this but I don't think there is too much difference in the styles. Both Gruden and Zorn learned under Holmgren so if there's anyone wanting to keep maybe some sort of continuity Gruden might be a better fit. But both learned how to coach under Holmgren. Zorn being the smiley please and thank you HC. Gruden being the hard nosed frowner.

Shanahan actually learned under Walsh like Holmgren did when he was in San Fran. Shanahan learned from the Master him self like Holmgren did. Shanahan might have picked up some tips here and there that makes the WCO work better.

At this point I don't think it really matters. If we are going to clean house with most of the high priced prima dona's then Shanahan is probably the way to go. Call it "Rebuild" mode and have a 3 to 5 year plan. If we are not going to clean house then Gruden might be better to put those players in their place vs. holding their hands. Zorn is a dead man walking. No way he is staying, for what? to be demoted to QB coach? Sherm Lewis would be an interesting prospect for Gruden to have as an OC. Lewis learned under Walsh as well while with the 49ers. Two inovative minds might come up with some good plays.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:05 AM   #26
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

the shanahan crew is comming, i wonder what's going to happen to the defensive coaches?
Old 12-18-2009, 09:21 AM   #27
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I guess the REAL question in all of this is:

What about Hixon?
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:28 AM   #28
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I guess the REAL question in all of this is:

What about Hixon?
We can only hope.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:22 AM   #29
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
I'm not expert on this but I don't think there is too much difference in the styles. Both Gruden and Zorn learned under Holmgren so if there's anyone wanting to keep maybe some sort of continuity Gruden might be a better fit. But both learned how to coach under Holmgren. Zorn being the smiley please and thank you HC. Gruden being the hard nosed frowner.

Shanahan actually learned under Walsh like Holmgren did when he was in San Fran. Shanahan learned from the Master him self like Holmgren did. Shanahan might have picked up some tips here and there that makes the WCO work better.

At this point I don't think it really matters. If we are going to clean house with most of the high priced prima dona's then Shanahan is probably the way to go. Call it "Rebuild" mode and have a 3 to 5 year plan. If we are not going to clean house then Gruden might be better to put those players in their place vs. holding their hands. Zorn is a dead man walking. No way he is staying, for what? to be demoted to QB coach? Sherm Lewis would be an interesting prospect for Gruden to have as an OC. Lewis learned under Walsh as well while with the 49ers. Two inovative minds might come up with some good plays.
You know i am starting to lean towards Gruden. I know it looks like a done deal at this point with Shanahan and Gruden might be locked in with ESPN, but I think Gruden might be the better fit. With him as coach, Sherm Lewis as O-Coordinator, Allen up in the office and Campbell on the ground this could be a really nice “marriage”.

Gruden turned the Raiders around, and since his departure they have fallen apart again. He "discovered" Rich Gannon, who was a perennial back up prior to signing with the Raiders, and turned him into a pro-bowler. In 4 seasons with the Raiders he went deep into the playoffs twice and went 40-28, with a unproven quarterback.

With Tampa he had Brad Johnson as qb, this is probably the best QB he has worked with. He went to the playoffs 3 times. Most amazingly Chris Simms was his qb in 2005 and took them to the playoffs with a 11-5 record (Chris Simms?!). He had a couple bad seasons with Tampa, but a lot of that is due (as many others have mentioned) Tampa not spending money, and a case of the injury bug.

I always thought of Gruden as somewhat of a quarterbacks-whore. But I cant really blame him, he has never really had a great qb to work with – just a whole bunch of Trent Dilfers. Considering the things Gruden has done with Gannon, Johnson, and Simms (let alone the other fill-ins he’s had) imagine what he could do with Campbell.

Sherm learned from the originator of the westcoast, Bill Walsh. Gruden learned from Holmgren and may be a little more innovative. Together they could be a really nice combo of old and new.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:58 AM   #30
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Actually in 92 Walsh was not coaching the 49ers, Seifert was and before that Shanahan learned from Dan Reeves in Denver.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote