Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Opening Day draft grade?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-01-2008, 04:35 PM   #16
memphisskin
Impact Rookie

Re: Opening Day draft grade?

Grade B.

The receivers will surprise, Rhinehart looks like a keeper, and Tryon will develop into the nickel back covering the slot. Whats not to like?

redskinjim, I agree that we may have blown it by passing on Phillips. But I think Thomas and Kelly will make an impact before this year is out.
memphisskin is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-01-2008, 05:38 PM   #17
RMSkins
The Starter

If I had to give grades to our rookies just based on preseason results mine would be:
Devin Thomas F: He looks flat out scared when he is on the field. Tenative on Kick returns, let's the ball come to his body instead of catching it with his hands, and from what we're hearing he can't grasp the playbook. Hopefully Devin can turn things around, but it doesn't look like we'll be seeing to much productivity from him in a few years. I think he has a 50% chance to be a flat out bust.

Malcolm Kelly F/Inc: Have to give him an F because he can't even get on the field. Chronic health problems have to concern the FO. If Kelly can ever get healthy I think he will end up being more productive than Thomas.

Fred Davis B-: I would like to see improve his blocking, but he looks to be a keeper. I expect Davis to be the most productive out of the "big three" this season.

Chad Rinehart C: Looks great one game looks awful the next. I do like his versatility on the line though given that he can play Tackle and Guard. Hopefully he can become more consistent.

Justin Tryon F: Has a big mouth, but he can't back up any of his talk. I have no idea how he made the roster. Almost every time I saw an opposing receiver catch the ball I would see Tryon running behind him.

Durant Brooks C-: Was outperformed by Frost in the preseason which isn't a very good sign. I will give Brooks the benefit of the doubt, but he hasn't shown me anything yet.

Kareem Moore B-: Needs to work on his angles a bit, but I fully expect him to become a major contributer with us. He showed me that he can come up and play the run, he's a solid tackler, and he looks decent in coverage. So far he's probably the pick I am most excited about. I am a bit concerned with his knee though.

Rob Jackson C+: A prototypical speed rusher. I like his hustle, but he seems to disappear a lot. He also needs to work on his run game.

Chris Horton B-: I think Chris, like Kareem, will become a major contributer for us in the near future. He needs to work on his tackling a bit, and he wasn't really tested in coverage to much, but he is a good blitzer and he can play special teams.

Colt Brennan B: Definitely the most productive player out of all the draft picks. So far Colt looks like he can contribute at some level in the NFL. I think Colt is going to end up being a good #2 in his career, who knows, maybe he can become a starter, but he still has a lot of work to do before he can achieve that.

Remember, before anyone decides to blast me, that these grades are based PURELY off of preseason performances, and things that the coaches have said about the players.
RMSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:44 PM   #18
That Guy
Living Legend

i was all about getting us some kenny phillips, but we'll see how it goes.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:47 PM   #19
RMSkins
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
tryon is a total waste.
safeties are both looking like good picks, same with the punter.
TE will contribute this year for sure, WRs weren't expected to do much and they won't...
jackson and udfa fincher look like good low level depth, reinhart is a good backup.
colt looks like he could eventually be a good starter...

about what was expected to happen on draft day. one moderate miss, a couple slight values in the safeties and colt, and slow WR development.
Fincher is not an UDFA, he was with the Lions the last two seasons.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:57 PM   #20
That Guy
Living Legend

frost DID NOT outperform brooks... frost had a higher punt average, but his net (punt yardage - return yardage) was 2 yards worse. frost kicks line drives and the coverage teams can't get there fast enough - brooks kicks moonshots.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:01 PM   #21
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMSkins View Post
Fincher is not an UDFA, he was with the Lions the last two seasons.
index2

sorry, he was just an FA then... as for the lions... when correcting someone, it's probably a good idea to check your facts. 3rd round pick, 3 seasons with the SAINTS.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:13 PM   #22
RMSkins
The Starter

Quote:
index2

sorry, he was just an FA then... as for the lions... when correcting someone, it's probably a good idea to check your facts. 3rd round pick, 3 seasons with the SAINTS.
You're partially right he was with the Saints for 2 seasons 05-07, and he was with the Lions this offseason before we picked him up, that's what messed me up. But I will admit that I was wrong, and so were you so I guess we're even.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:26 PM   #23
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

For what it's worth, this is how some other noteworthy Rookie Recievers performed during the preseason.

James Hardy - 3 Rec 46 Yds 1 TD
Jordy Nelson - 5 Rec 48 Yds
Donnie Avery - 6 Rec 72 Yds
Jerome Simpson - 11 Rec 157 Yds
Andre Caldwell - 3 Rec 22 Yds
Mario Manningham - 8 Rec 82 Yds
Eddie Royal - 4 Rec 80 Yds
Desean Jackson - 16 Rec 189 Yds
Limas Sweed - 8 Rec 60 Yds
Dexter Jackson - 3 Rec 28 Yds
Devin Thomas - 2 Rec 7 Yds

Last years rookies during 2007 Preseason
Calvin Johnson 6 Rec 79 yds
Dwayne Jarrett 4 Rec 77 yds
Craig Davis - 5 Rec 68 Yds
Sidney Rice - 8 Rec 53 yds
Ted Ginn Jr - 4 Rec 38 yds
Dwayne Bowe - 1 Rec 21 yds

My point is while it helps it still only means so much. For God's sake Dwayne Bowe had 1 reception for 21 yards and ended up leading all rookies in recieving yards last year. Ted Ginn Jr. didn't do anything special while this year he's starting to look a lot better with experience under his belt (plus a new QB that's perfect for his skillset). Anthony Gonzalez didn't even show up through 10 pages of stats nor did Steve Smith (Giants 2nd Round pick last year).

Honestly I'm a little nervous about Thomas's performance but we knew we were getting a project when we drafted him. Give him time. On top of that Thomas missed two preseason games and missed a lot of time in camp. Given a chance to learn the system he has the chance to be the guy we envisioned him being upon drafting him, but for now stay away from the panic button.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG

Last edited by Dirtbag59; 09-01-2008 at 06:34 PM.
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:28 PM   #24
RMSkins
The Starter

Quote:
frost DID NOT outperform brooks... frost had a higher punt average, but his net (punt yardage - return yardage) was 2 yards worse. frost kicks line drives and the coverage teams can't get there fast enough - brooks kicks moonshots.
For us to use a draft pick on a punter, supposedely the best punter in college, he better be able to come in here and wipe the floor with a mediocre Derrick Frost, and he didn't even come close to doing that.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:40 PM   #25
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
For what it's worth, this is how some other noteworthy Rookie Recievers performed during the preseason.

James Hardy - 3 Rec 46 Yds 1 TD
Jordy Nelson - 5 Rec 48 Yds
Donnie Avery - 6 Rec 72 Yds
Jerome Simpson - 11 Rec 157 Yds
Andre Caldwell - 3 Rec 22 Yds
Mario Manningham - 8 Rec 82 Yds
Eddie Royal - 4 Rec 80 Yds
Desean Jackson - 16 Rec 189 Yds
Limas Sweed - 8 Rec 60 Yds
Dexter Jackson - 3 Rec 28 Yds
Devin Thomas - 2 Rec 7 Yds

Last years rookies during 2007 Preseason
Calvin Johnson 6 Rec 79 yds
Dwayne Jarrett 4 Rec 77 yds
Craig Davis - 5 Rec 68 Yds
Sidney Rice - 8 Rec 53 yds
Ted Ginn Jr - 4 Rec 38 yds
Dwayne Bowe - 1 Rec 21 yds

My point is while it helps it still only means so much. For God's sake Dwayne Bowe had 1 reception for 21 yards and ended up leading all rookies in recieving yards last year. Ted Ginn Jr. didn't do anything special while this year he's starting to look a lot better with experience under his belt (plus a new QB that's perfect for his skillset). Anthony Gonzalez didn't even show up through 10 pages of stats nor did Steve Smith (Giants 2nd Round pick last year).

Honestly I'm a little nervous about Thomas's performance but we knew we were getting a project when we drafted him. Give him time. On top of that Thomas missed two preseason games and missed a lot of time in camp. Given a chance to learn the system he has the chance to be the guy we envisioned him being upon drafting him, but for now stay away from the panic button.
Good post
Old 09-01-2008, 08:00 PM   #26
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
You're partially right he was with the Saints for 2 seasons 05-07, and he was with the Lions this offseason before we picked him up, that's what messed me up. But I will admit that I was wrong, and so were you so I guess we're even.
no, check nfl.com, he was with the saints for 3 season, 05, 06, 07 - he played in games for them in all three. thanks though.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:02 PM   #27
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
For us to use a draft pick on a punter, supposedely the best punter in college, he better be able to come in here and wipe the floor with a mediocre Derrick Frost, and he didn't even come close to doing that.
a) he's a rookie
b) he wasn't drafted in the 1st or 2nd round.
c) he still beat him in the stat that matters, net average.

jeez.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:36 PM   #28
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

I would generalize this overall draft as just average at best: C

But clearly to me the first day moves are questionable, 2 WR's and a TE in the second round. WR's are always a gamble making the transition to the NFL. As we have seen with both Thomas and Kelly and many others that have come and gone in this league. With that said I think/hope in the long run both these kids can be productive, maybe we can get a little something out of at least one of the two this year?

I do like the Rinehart, Brennan & Davis draft picks, I think these where all smart moves.

I'll take a wait and see approach with all picks, except one. Tryon should have been cut.
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:11 PM   #29
RMSkins
The Starter

Quote:
a) he's a rookie
b) he wasn't drafted in the 1st or 2nd round.
c) he still beat him in the stat that matters, net average.

jeez.
I don't buy the rookie excuse for a punter, there isn't that much of a learning curve. The point is Brooks didn't convincingly outperform Frost, and Frost is in the bottom tier of NFL punters. That really worries me. Like I said, I will give Brooks and the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt, but I really don't believe that Brooks is going to be that much of an upgrade.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:36 PM   #30
doughtydoubter
Impact Rookie

You know what? im prepared to give the redskins a "B" for this draft.
Brooks WILL be good, that is just a matter of time. The man can boot it he was drafted for a reason.I firmly believe that under Zorns tutiledge we may have the quaterback of the future in Colt. Lets be honest...every coach wants that prject qb, and colt is perfect for zorn and has shown much promise in college and in preseason. Fred davis look slike a keeper and i expect yoders job security to be questioned when davis gets his blocking down a bit better, but still for all the negative things people said about his blocking skills when drafted he didnt nearly look as bad at the task as i had expected.
Im willing to tryon and malcolm kelly a free pass for now. Based on the fact that dbs take a little while to develop and kelly while having phenomonal hands cant get on the field.
Devin thomas i think gets the lowest grade in the draft...although he could get rid of his jitters and hopefully emerge he definitely will have a trial by fire if moss or randle el cannot stay healthy.
Moore and horton..i love these guys, horton is awesome and i look for him to take over the spot when doughty fails. Moore is solid and i think will emerge to be a steady backup on this team.
Jsckson, i was weary of this guy at first, but he impressed with his speed. For the value at the pick..ill take him
and rhinehart...i love this guy i think he will be a longtime starter for the redskins when he cracks the roster...versatile, nasty and tough. Madden loves him too.
Over all...(depending on the big three)
I think the draft was a glaring success...EVERYONE made the team, we added youth..and it cost us naught. for the next frew years if these players develop it allows us to free that cap space
doughtydoubter is offline   Reply With Quote