Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

When will Jansen go?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-25-2008, 04:50 PM   #16
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Re: When will Jansen go?

I'm not at the same level of anger/hatred as the OP, I'm kinda tired of seeing Jansen playing like he's on roller skates. It's been a few (2003?) years since he's been healthy and a standout. He's serviceable at best right now. Thankfully the best pass rushers we'll face in the division (Cole, Ware, Tuck) all play over the LT so that's not too much of a concern but Heyer needs to get up to speed rather quickly cause Jansen's demise isn't going to be pretty or gradual.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-25-2008, 04:52 PM   #17
Stacks42
Impact Rookie

Am i wrong? but didnt Parcells say that Jansen was done 3-4 years ago? He is a pretty good talent evaluator. If Jansen keeps playing the way he has been, then we might see Colt alot sooner than we expected.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:02 PM   #18
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
Big contract probably.

I haven't gone through all the threads after the debacle on Sat., but so far I've seen Jansen getting run out of town, but not much mention of Samuels getting MANHANDLED by Julius Peppers. Maybe we should get rid of Samuels too? (sarcasm)

There sure wasn't a cry for Jansen's head when we were 3-0 and the starting O was looking solid. Is the guy playing at a high level, not really, but he's not ready for the trash bid either.

I'll admit I'm slightly worried about the Samuals getting manhandled by Peppers situation (I haven't had the guts nor the motivation to download the game and see for myself) but from what I understand, Pepers is a man on a mission after amassing only 2.5 sacks last year in 14 games (yes THE Jullius Peppers). In fact some might say he's walking into a Ben Rothesberger type situation this year, though from what I know he's never been on a motorcycle.

So it might have been more of a combination of Samuals lack of motivation in a preseason game combined with Peppers overwhelming desire to prove himself again (which he had a chance to do this weekend against a guy of Samuals caliber in the preseasons only half game).

In the end though I'm kind of glad we got our ass kicked this week. My Dad use to always talk about how he was happy that Maryland went through the same things before March Madness during the year they won they title, and in this case it's happening during the preseason so at least the loss won't sting to bad.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:38 PM   #19
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

The game against Carolina was an aberration, the players and coaches are trying to get over Joe Bugel's daughter dying. People forget these guys are human, remember last year against Buffalo the infamous Gibbs timeout mistake? This guys are human, I wouldn't be surprised if Holly's death didn't linger from last years tragic events.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:40 PM   #20
freddyg12
Playmaker

I knew a thread like this had to pop up at some point.

I truly hope jansen can get it together, but he has struggled in pass pro & that's not surprising given his age, injuries. Maybe he'll regain form later in the year, but how long will they wait for that?

I think you have to pose the question in relation to the entire o line, can Rinehart take Kendall's job later in the year? How ready is Heyer?

I actually think there is a chance they move Jansen inside to play guard in the future. That might save his career. He'd be good at pulling & he can still run block well.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:50 PM   #21
ChillWill
Special Teams

Just watched the Chris Samuels interview on Redskins.com and he attributed the JP punk job to poor technique, specifically bad hand placement. It sure appears that this O-Line cannot afford one day without Joe Bugel. They throw all technique out of the window. Rabach got handled as well. So far the good news is that Randy Thomas has looked good coming off of his injuries last year. That aside Jansen has not played well for years. I think his days as a RT are over. Ask any DE in the league that has played him over the last 4 years. In fact ask are own DE's. He does not look good in practice either. Let's just be honest for once. He's a great leader but the tape does not lie. I've rewatched the preseason film and it does not matter who he is lined up against in pass coverage he get's handled.
ChillWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:08 PM   #22
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacks42 View Post
Am i wrong? but didnt Parcells say that Jansen was done 3-4 years ago? He is a pretty good talent evaluator. If Jansen keeps playing the way he has been, then we might see Colt alot sooner than we expected.
Yeah, tuna hit the ball out of the park on his pre-draft opinion of Chris Cooley too.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:25 PM   #23
Riggo44
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Yeah, tuna hit the ball out of the park on his pre-draft opinion of Chris Cooley too.
What did he say about Cooley?
Old 08-25-2008, 07:33 PM   #24
MTK
\m/

Bill Parcells Might Want That One Back | Larry Brown Sports
Old 08-25-2008, 07:41 PM   #25
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Jansen's injury last year wasn't something that could've been prevented. He got rolled up on. Just bad luck. So I wish people would stop calling him injury prone. However from what I've seen so far he simply can't pass block anymore. I can't even imagine what Tuck is going to do to this guy a week from Thurs. We'd better start running the ball, stop sending out 5 guys and max protecting.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:58 PM   #26
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Jansen's injury last year wasn't something that could've been prevented. He got rolled up on. Just bad luck. So I wish people would stop calling him injury prone. However from what I've seen so far he simply can't pass block anymore. I can't even imagine what Tuck is going to do to this guy a week from Thurs. We'd better start running the ball, stop sending out 5 guys and max protecting.
I think, the best news about next week, is that Jansen should get a lot of help to neutralize Tuck now with Osi out for the year.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:00 PM   #27
Skinz4life
Camp Scrub

I don't think Heyer has looked much better than Jansen so far this preseason, after last year I really felt that he might push Jansen for the starting RT job. As far as Samuel's goes I am not to concerned, Zorn said in his press conference that he was fine outside of the play.
Skinz4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:25 PM   #28
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Thanks a million Beastsofthe... Not only am I forced to watch the trainwreck that is John Jansen now I'm reminded that we're paying the guy like he's one of the best RT in pro football - this for a guy I think any honest observer realizes wouldn't get the league min from the other 31 teams.

If he's the best option we've got at RT my grade of the draft/off-season has to drop. On the other hand, I think we'll know whether he's the best option fairly soon. Already injured and looking more arthritic every day, I can't see JJ playing a full game in the regular season - easy prediction.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:21 AM   #29
jsarno
Franchise Player

I just don't get all the hate.
1- good tackles are hard to come by.
2- Jansen KNOWS the position VERY well.
3- He's coming off a huge injury, and needs time (yet another reason NOT to watch preseason games)
4- If he truly has nothing left, I doubt Zorn / Bugel would be dumb enough to allow him to start at tackle and hurt the team. Either you have faith in Zorn or you don't. I haven't exactly been a Zorn advocate, but I certainly am giving him a long enough leash that includes quite a few games...regular season that is.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:03 AM   #30
doughtydoubter
Impact Rookie

Well said Jsarno. Tackles are hard to come by, and the team is doing the right things with Heyer and Rhinehardt in the wings developing.
Dont hate, even the best tackles get beat. Personally im more worried about rabach getting dominated in the preseason than jansen.
doughtydoubter is offline   Reply With Quote