Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
And then added to the 80 greatest Redskins list the next day
Indeed.

Advertisements
Old 08-21-2012, 03:59 PM   #17
los panda
Pro Bowl

Re: Clinton Portis To Announce Retirement

he'll always be loved by our fan base. definitely one of the better rbs of his era, thankful for all the plays he made as a redskins.

best of luck to him in retirement, HTTR!
Old 08-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #18
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaskin4life View Post
Although I would have preferred to keep Champ Bailey, Clinton Portis played well for us during his career as a Redskin.
I don't think we would have made the playoffs in 05 and 07, with Champ Bailey on the team instead of Clinton Portis.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #19
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Nice career for #26, definitely one of the best backs we've had

9923 yards rushing
80 TDs
Best blocking back
Old 08-21-2012, 06:46 PM   #20
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

In no way is he a hall of famer, but he was an above average back who sacrificed a lot in order to buy into Gibbs' scheme. Went from a small, shifty back to more of a grinder... and did it without bitching.

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:34 PM   #21
imaskin4life
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailGreen28 View Post
I don't think we would have made the playoffs in 05 and 07, with Champ Bailey on the team instead of Clinton Portis.
You could be right. There is no way to prove or disprove it though. I liked Clinton Portis, its just that Champ Bailey is a better DB than Clinton Portis is a RB - and to me, the trade was lopsided. I'm not trading a shutdown down corner for a RB.
imaskin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:41 PM   #22
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Champ is a HOF cp is not. But he was damn good in his prime
Old 08-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #23
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

If CP had taken care of his body and did the offseason conditioning and stuff, he'd still be here with us playing. By the time Shanahan put him on notice, Portis was already WAY past it on wear and tear.

Heck he could have stayed here at a reduced salary but in his mind he was still the # 1 running back in the NFL, and what he found out was that not one team wanted him after we cut him loose.

It shouldn't have ended this way for CP, he should have had a reduced role over the years and retire after spending a season or 2 as a backup/mentor type player.

I will be the first to admit that his act wore thin on me beginning around 2008 when everybody was the problem but him. I've been over it before, i won't argue it again on a thread about what is supposed to be his happy day.

I will say that even as a non-Portis fan, he deserved better than this and I bet that if he had the ability to take it back, he would have accepted a reduced contract so that he could stay here. Long live CP.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:35 PM   #24
44 goes 50 gut

Portis was a fine RB in his prime, but that was a terrible deal in an of itself... They should have been sending a COUPLE picks our way, instead Danny was so excited by the "big name" RB and so ignorant about the actual value and rarity of a true shutdown corner that he got smoked by Shanahan...

It's a little like going to a dealership to buy a car, gleefully jabbering about how excited you are and how you just love this one Car over here in the rare Red color while loudly proclaiming you hope your credit is good enough. So of course you pay full MSRP, get the 17% interest loan, and get less than wholesale auction value for your trade in and then "negotiating" to always take the car back to the dealer for full price $49 dollar oil changes...

It doesn't matter how good the car turned out to be; you got bent over the barrel...
44 goes 50 gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:43 PM   #25
44 goes 50 gut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
Heck he could have stayed here at a reduced salary but in his mind he was still the # 1 running back in the NFL, and what he found out was that not one team wanted him after we cut him loose.

I will be the first to admit that his act wore thin on me beginning around 2008 when everybody was the problem but him. I've been over it before, i won't argue it again on a thread about what is supposed to be his happy day
Aint that always the way with RB's? They all think they're the next Larry Brown, they all think they can go on to another team, and they rarely manage it.

Damn rare... IMO one of the reasons Curtis Martin made it into the Hall is that he managed to be great on multiple teams, over an impressive span.

Unfortunately RB is the most "disposable" position in the game. They use you up and throw you away, smart players choose other positions, but confident cement heads want to tote the rock. It's too bad really.
44 goes 50 gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:48 PM   #26
ethat001
Impact Rookie

Portis was a great RB and had some of the best blocks by an RB I've ever seen. Definitely one of the league's leading personalities with his crazy characters / costumes. I still have a Portis jersey.

BUT -- No way he's a Hall of Famer without a Super Bowl. Too bad, if we won him some rings he would have been considered for it.

Also, as the years went on, I felt like his reputation became tarnished a bit by his antics.
1) He didn't like to practice or play in the preseason (and complained about it)
2) Created unnecessary drama by not being a team player
--> made fun of Zorn, didn't listen to him & went above his head to Snyder at times
--> talked out about other players, McNabb, etc
3) Was Snyder's pet

Regardless, best wishes to Clinton. Had great times watching him over the past decade.
ethat001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #27
Evilgrin
The Starter

Mixed bag, great player but never afraid of starting drama through the media. Coach Janky Spanky prevented himself from reaching his full potential.
Evilgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:03 PM   #28
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

I disagree with you guys. I loved CP. we don't make the playoffs in 05 without the December and November he had in that year. He brought excitement back to DC. He helped us win the only damn playoff win we have had in I dont know how long.

My question for you guys is where does he rank for you in all time Redskin RBs?
Old 08-21-2012, 11:31 PM   #29
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmonkforhallofamein07 View Post
I disagree with you guys. I loved CP. we don't make the playoffs in 05 without the December and November he had in that year. He brought excitement back to DC. He helped us win the only damn playoff win we have had in I dont know how long.

My question for you guys is where does he rank for you in all time Redskin RBs?
Great post

I'd say top 3 redskins backs no doubt..

Riggins
Davis
Portis

For me personally
Old 08-21-2012, 11:32 PM   #30
InsaneBoost
The Starter

Portis definitely carried the team on his back in 2005, you could almost argue 2007 as well. Glad I was able to watch him play the majority of his career in a Redskins uniform.

InsaneBoost is offline   Reply With Quote