Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Replacement refs: The story the NFL wants to keep quiet

Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #16
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

Re: Replacement refs: The story the NFL wants to keep quiet

That was just in the first 2 quarters of one game and they were just blatantly obvious. I am sure there were missed penalty flag all over, and nouances the game day refs would have called.

Advertisements
Old 08-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #17
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Here's a nice rundown of all the missed calls from Thursday night. And there's also a nice story here about the ref from the Lingerie Football League that apparently might have been kicked out of that before he was chosen to be on the crew for the HOF game. And just to top it off (PFT disclaimer), here is a story from PFT about Mike Pereira (former VP of officiating for NFL and now Fox employee) saying the league is trying to embellish the credentials of the replacements.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #18
FRPLG
MVP

Why would you offer a disclaimer for PFT news report? Are you under the impression they simply make up interviews?
Old 08-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #19
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Why would you offer a disclaimer for PFT news report? Are you under the impression they simply make up interviews?
I do that because even though PFT has been growing on me, their reputation as a legit news source is still questionable amongst the populace. Just by quoting a PFT article, I'm opening myself up to criticism from people who still don't think PFT has any credibility, hence why I included the disclaimer.

Are you under the impression I think PFT has nothing to offer? Because while they don't exactly post relevant news some of the time, there are other instances where they post credible info.

Seriously thought FRPLG, as a long time member of this board, you should be pretty familiar by now with the problems people have with PFT.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:16 AM   #20
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Scabs
Old 08-12-2012, 08:56 AM   #21
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Need Daryl Grant to punch a bus window here!
Old 08-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #22
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I do that because even though PFT has been growing on me, their reputation as a legit news source is still questionable amongst the populace. Just by quoting a PFT article, I'm opening myself up to criticism from people who still don't think PFT has any credibility, hence why I included the disclaimer.

Are you under the impression I think PFT has nothing to offer? Because while they don't exactly post relevant news some of the time, there are other instances where they post credible info.

Seriously thought FRPLG, as a long time member of this board, you should be pretty familiar by now with the problems people have with PFT.
If you're so worried about opening yourself up to criticism, why not just link to the original source?

Former NFL Chief Referee: NFL Is Lying About The Experience Of Replacement Refs « CBS Chicago
Old 08-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #23
InsaneBoost
The Starter

PFT has been a joke on some things. I've seen them get set up quite bad at times.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:09 AM   #24
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
If you're so worried about opening yourself up to criticism, why not just link to the original source?

Former NFL Chief Referee: NFL Is Lying About The Experience Of Replacement Refs « CBS Chicago
I didn't think it was that big of a deal until FRPLG posted, I only included the disclaimer so people knew what my source was.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #25
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
I didn't think it was that big of a deal until FRPLG posted, I only included the disclaimer so people knew what my source was.
All I'm saying clearly you thought in your original post you needed to put in a disclaimer. As do some others it seems, but people can avoid the whole "is PFT reliable" mess by just bypassing PFT and going to where they got their story from
Old 08-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #26
Mechanix544
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Alot of fans feel the exact opposite , the NFL can't and won't let the inmates run the system.Am I happy with everything ...no, but with that said, to hell with Vilma and with the saints ....they were told to stop over and over and didn't but overall I like what the commissioner is doing.
Bleh, noone here cares if you are happy with everything, with your little bitch of an owner. Mara could have targeted other teams that did the same shit, some could even say to a greater extent, but instead only went for the two in his division. Ya, thats defending the "spirit" of the agreement.....

F the Giants, and F Mara

Last edited by Mechanix544; 08-15-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #27
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanix544 View Post
Bleh, noone here cares if you are happy with everything, with your little bitch of an owner. Mara could have targeted other teams that did the same shit, some could even say to a greater extent, but instead only went for the two in his division. Ya, thats defending the "spirit" of the agreement.....

F the Giants, and F Mara
Can we also give a big F to Dallas and the Eagles. He!! yea
Old 08-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #28
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
I do...and I think they are by and large completely and totally ridiculous. Grates on me when they get questioned for a story they're simply aggregating which is what a majority of their content is.

People need to use a little more concrete thinking when they read news (not just PFT) to determine whether they are reading actual news or opinion. The two types of content need to be consumed differently.

Let me now unhijack this thread.

Why is the NFL taking such a hard line on this when they money they're fighting over is pretty small to the league?
Old 08-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #29
scowan
The Starter

Don't you want the best refs you can get? Whichever owner is helping to negotiate this thing will give when his team loses a game this year due to a bad call.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #30
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Why is the NFL taking such a hard line on this when they money they're fighting over is pretty small to the league?
I've honestly paid no attention to the story, but maybe they want to contribute a smaller percentage to the referee's union?