Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

What's Cole's Problem?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-28-2005, 02:47 PM   #16
Yellow31
Special Teams

Re: What's Cole's Problem?

I say to heck with him let him rot, if he wants his money he has to play. They signed him 2 years ago for a $13 million bonus and now he wants more?? Suck it up and play, if he doesn't want to be a skin let him retire and get nothing. Maybe he can come back and suck in Baltimore with Deion in a couple of years, I hear he needs some company on the IR and by then his toe ought to be good and arthritic.
Yellow31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-28-2005, 02:50 PM   #17
firstdown
Living Legend

I don't think Coles is going any where. He is now making it harder to trade him maybe he has decided he dosn't want to leave. This time of year the rumors fly and I think that may be some what true for Coles.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 02:54 PM   #18
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow31
I say to heck with him let him rot, if he wants his money he has to play. They signed him 2 years ago for a $13 million bonus and now he wants more?? Suck it up and play, if he doesn't want to be a skin let him retire and get nothing. Maybe he can come back and suck in Baltimore with Deion in a couple of years, I hear he needs some company on the IR and by then his toe ought to be good and arthritic.
Deion had toe problems himself. Remember all the flack he took missing games with turf toe.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 02:55 PM   #19
MTK
\m/

I'm thinking Coles is just using this new deal excuse to prevent the Skins from trading him so he can be released, and then let a few teams get in a bidding war for him.

So yeah basically it seems to be boiling down to the money whichever way you look at it.

I'd prefer to get rid of him at this point anyway we can, not only to get rid of a disgruntled player but to help save our cap space for the future.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:56 PM   #20
CROOKEDSKINS
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins_P
Could it be that Coles wants to go to Dallas to reunite with the coach that drafted him? Just a thought.......
let him and when he goes across the middle taylor will clean his clock
CROOKEDSKINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 02:58 PM   #21
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardskin2982
Snyder wouldn't let that happen he's a fan first, then a owner or atleast thats how he acts sometimes

Not only Snyder, but Gibbs wouldn't let that happen either.

I just thought about that because the Redskins clearly do not want to release him, and it seems like maybe Coles already has a team in mind.

Like I said, its just a thought.
Redskins_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 04:24 PM   #22
offiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow31
Yellow31 stop holding back your true feeling's, this isn't that kind of forum just let it out.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 04:25 PM   #23
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Yeah I hate it when people sugar-coat things.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:58 PM   #24
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

I agree with the majority of you. I'm pretty pissed off @ Coles. Now at first I was just pissed off at the situation, but the man was unhappy and wanted a change. He was classy about it, didnt bitch bigtime to the media or anything. Thats fine, I'm sorry you dont like it here. So they try to work out some deals, this is where I start to become not just pissed off, but infuriated with a guy like this. It freaking pisses me off that the team is bending over backwards just to try to accomidate to your needs, and you wouldnt give back your bonus if we traded you, or restrcuture your contract. WTF is that???? Seriously, if we keep this guy and throw him on the practice squad, I wouldnt give a crap. The fact that he refused to give back his bonus or restrucutre for the point of trading him is bullsh*t. Apparently he wants a new contract extention on top of that, which turned some teams off (at least thats what I've heard from a Jets fans standpoint). Either-way, L.Coles is pretty high on my sh*t list right now.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 07:46 PM   #25
Schneed10
A Dude

He might be on our collective s* list now, but next fall when he's catching 7 passes a game I think we'll feel differently about him. Bottom line, he's very talented even when his toe bothers him. Even with a hurt toe, he managed to get open enough to catch 90 passes. Also bottom line, he's very professional. He works hard and doesn't cause a stink during the season; he takes care of business and career desires in the offseason.

He won't be a problem in the locker room, he'll work hard, and he'll play well, whether he wants to be here or not. I'm disturbed by his attitude, but the best news I've heard is that he's likely to stay. We're all mad now because of the way he's acting, which is understandable, but give it some time and a little bit of that Gibbs Midas Touch with keeping the peace, and I think we'll all forgive and forget. Laveraneus Coles is still a starter for the Redskins fellas, I'd rather that be the case than see us starting James Thrash in 2005.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 07:59 PM   #26
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

SChneed - another great post. However, don't you think this off-season might sour some of his teammates mouths? That would be the biggest drawback to having him back, in my opinion.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 08:20 PM   #27
saden1
MVP

What really gets me is how the hell do teams get themselves in a position where they don't protect guaranteed money they give to players. Seriously, there should be clause in contracts that states that if you quit the team you forfeit all you're guaranteed money. Question, can you put a disgruntled player on the unable to perform or injured reserve list and not pay them if they hold out? Or maybe even fine them? What would be the excuse to put them on the list? Emotionally unhealthy to perform?

I still have love for Coles. I think we aren't really getting the whole story.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 09:04 PM   #28
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
SChneed - another great post. However, don't you think this off-season might sour some of his teammates mouths? That would be the biggest drawback to having him back, in my opinion.
Yeah agreed, Antonio Pierce is already on the record saying that having him back would likely cause a distraction. But I think it would all depend on how Coles handles himself. If he is bitching and moaning about stuff, and acting negative, and not enjoying himself with his teammates, then I'd imagine guys would see him as a distraction. But if he goes into the year, keeps his mouth shut, works hard and plays hard, I'll bet all the guys will just forget about it and it will eventually all pass as water under the bridge. I'd expect him to act professionally. He's being a pussy right now in the offseason, but based on what I've seen from him so far in his career, I'll bet he goes back to being a stand-up guy during the season.

The other thing, if Gibbs opens up the offense a bit like he says he is going to, and Coles ends up catching a TD or two early on in the season, I'll bet LC will be back to being very happy.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:05 PM   #29
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1
What really gets me is how the hell do teams get themselves in a position where they don't protect guaranteed money they give to players. Seriously, there should be clause in contracts that states that if you quit the team you forfeit all you're guaranteed money. Question, can you put a disgruntled player on the unable to perform or injured reserve list and not pay them if they hold out? Or maybe even fine them? What would be the excuse to put them on the list? Emotionally unhealthy to perform?

I still have love for Coles. I think we aren't really getting the whole story.
If you could forfeit guaranteed money, it wouldn't exactly be guaranteed, would it.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:11 PM   #30
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

SUPPOSE fir just a moment that Coles really believes that he has been hosed by management. He - and his agent - left a session with the FO and thought they had a deal where he would be released and then "things changed". He thinks that they "reneged" on the deal that was struck. SUPPOSE that is what he thinks.

Now, just how cooperative would you expect him to be under those circumstances? The correct answer is NOT AT ALL !!

Why would I think that is even possibly the case? Hmmm... Lavar Arrington and his agent thought they had one deal and all of a sudden they had a different deal. Steve Spurrier thought he would be working with an experienced NFL GM here but suddenly it turned out to be the Vinny and Danny show. Maybe Joe Crisp can explain to all of us the sudden and sort-of mysterious circumstances under which the former Skins' director of PR left the team last summer...

I don't KNOW - and neither does anyone else here KNOW - what transpired among Coles and his agent and Gibbs and Snyder in all of this, but if Coles and his agent even begin to believe that the Redskins are trying to double cross them on a deal they struck, then I'm not at all surprised to see how he is behaving. And if it continues on, don't expect him to do anything more than show up when he has to show up in order to collect his $5M roster bonus. And come training camp, I'm thinking there will be a recurrence of the toe injury early on...
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote