Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Samari Rolle??

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-27-2005, 11:11 PM   #16
MTK
\m/

Re: Samari Rolle??

Mention of the Rolle rumor in the WP:

Meanwhile, sources said the Redskins have a strong interest in acquiring cornerback Samari Rolle, who was released last week by the Tennessee Titans in a salary cap purge. Vice President Vinny Cerrato last night denied the Redskins were in serious negotiations with Rolle. Rolle's agent, Peter Schaffer, declined to comment.

Acquiring the 6-foot, 175-pound Rolle would almost certainly end cornerback Fred Smoot's career in Washington. Late last season, talks for an extension reached an impasse after Smoot declined Washington's offer that included a $10 million bonus. Smoot's camp countered with a $14 million bonus. One NFL source said Rolle, who was coached by assistant head coach of defense Gregg Williams when both were in Tennessee, has requested a signing bonus of at least $12 million.

"He's not quite the cover guy that Smoot is, but he would be one of the top three cornerbacks available" in free agency, Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said Sunday at a hotel where his team officials, including Coach Bill Parcells, are staying. "He can still play."

Last season, Rolle appeared in 12 games, finishing with one interception and 28 tackles, before undergoing left knee surgery. The seven-year veteran's best season was in 2000; Rolle made the Pro Bowl after making seven interceptions for the Titans.

Saturday, Gibbs said the Redskins still hoped to re-sign Smoot and noted the cornerback was at Redskins Park last week for a meeting that included owner Daniel Snyder.

Although the Redskins have emphasized character players, Rolle is scheduled for an April 6 court hearing for allegedly hitting his wife on Valentine's Day. Rolle turned himself in to police the next day on one misdemeanor charge of assault. He faces probation or up to one year in jail.

Advertisements
Old 02-27-2005, 11:12 PM   #17
MTK
\m/

I don't get this at all, why not bring Smoot back at a $12M bonus? Or should I say why won't Smoot come back for a $12M bonus?

This sucks.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:20 PM   #18
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
I don't get this at all, why not bring Smoot back at a $12M bonus? Or should I say why won't Smoot come back for a $12M bonus?

This sucks.

Seroiusly; I'm sick of the offseason already. I feel like were getting so much worse.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 11:50 PM   #19
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72

This sucks.
Yeah. Not only that, why couldn't that money be used to bring Smoot back!?
Old 02-28-2005, 12:24 AM   #20
aehs77
Special Teams

rolle is a better corner than smoot for the same money
aehs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 12:40 AM   #21
That Guy
Living Legend

we dont have the space to make big moves to counter whats happening right now... i, for one, blame brunell.... and vinny
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 01:13 AM   #22
Redskins8588
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aehs77
rolle is a better corner than smoot for the same money
Maybe so, but Rolle is older and doesnt have the locker room presents that Smoot has. Smoot is/was a leader on the team, a guy who the younger players looked up to. Rolle is a vet, but he will have to earn that respect from the younger players.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:32 AM   #23
jamf
Pro Bowl

rolle was better than smoot. but rolle has had alot of injuries that slowed him down.

hell jerry jones is quoted in the WP article that smoot is a better cover corner than rolle.

why arent we keeping our own players? this shit is getting rediculous.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 01:39 AM   #24
bedlamVR
Special Teams

If we loose out on Smoot we need a plan B which is what i think the Rolle rumours are.
bedlamVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 01:47 AM   #25
Redskins8588
Playmaker

I think that Walt Harris and Wilds are pretty good plan B's. I mean Greg Williams even said that Wilds was ready to start last year but Springs and Smoot were healthy and there really wasnt much of an oppertunity for us to play him. I dont think that Rolle is really needed here. I understand that Williams likes him, but I think that we have other needs to address than corner.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:14 AM   #26
Taylor Rules
Camp Scrub

Unhappy Re: Samari Rolle??

Could it be that they are using the potential Rolle signing as leverage against Smoot? I surely hope so. Maybe the "organization" has just decided that they don't want Smoot back at any price. It sure is getting harder to support the skins.
Taylor Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 08:31 AM   #27
MTK
\m/

Rolle vs. Smoot from Scouts Inc.

Quote:
Name: Samari Rolle
Position: Cornerback
Grade: 80 | Key
Alert: BD

Comment:
Rolle is undersized and gets pushed around too much by bigger receivers. He is not very physical in the passing game or the running game. He has adequate height, but lacks bulk and strength. Is a finesse DC that does not like to press receivers. He is a below average tackler who does not fill hard vs. the run. He also has had lots of trouble staying healthy for a complete season. However, when Rolle is healthy he is one of the more athletic cover corners in the NFL. Is versatile enough to play outside or inside against the slot receiver, but spends most of his time on the outside. He is quicker than fast, but rarely gets beat one-on-one down the sideline because he has excellent technique and recognition skills, and he has very smooth hips. He is at his best in the short-to-intermediate zone when he can take chances and jump underneath routes. Possesses rare recognition skills and he plays with great technique. Overall, Rolle is one of the better pure cover corners in the NFL.
Quote:
Name: Fred Smoot
Position: Cornerback
Grade: 74 | Key
Alert: None

Comment:
Smoot is a playmaker that has led the team in interceptions in each of his first three seasons but he is extremely inconsistent and he has had some problems staying healthy. Is fast enough to run with receivers downfield, has the body control to adjust to the ball while it's in the air and has great leaping abililty. Can change directions without losing much speed in transition, shows good burst coming out of cuts and flashes the ability to blanket receivers underneath. Is aggressive, will jump routes and fights for the ball. Plays with great confidence and doesn't allow mistakes to affect play. Takes a lot of chances, can be overaggressive at times and is vulnerable to effective pump fakes. Smoot has the speed, agility and confidence to develop into a shutdown corner but he hasn't progressed as expected. His technique remains inconsistent, he gives up too many big plays and he offers little in run support. Smoot's interception-production should also dip with the departure of Champ Bailey, as teams won't be forced to throw in Smoot's direction limiting his opportunities to make a play on the ball.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:39 AM   #28
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

I would disagree with saying Smoot has problems staying healthy. He might get hurt, but he normally plays through it.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:47 AM   #29
MTK
\m/

This move would almost seem like a wash.

The only thing that's keeping me from losing my head is the fact Williams knows Rolle and must think he's a better fit in his defense.

If Williams wants Rolle over Smoot, I'm going to bite my tongue and trust his judgement, despite the fact I think we're losing a real team guy and a core Redskin in Smoot.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:53 AM   #30
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

I would agree it's a wash "statistically" but I don't see Rolle being the team leader that Smoot has been over the years AND isn't he older than Smoot or no?