Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Return Of Lavar

Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 05:35 PM   #16
offiss

I am not a big Lavar fan he's way overated, he's judged by his athletisism and not as a football player in which I think he is not, he's just another physically gifted player who doesn't have an instinct for the game.

Advertisements
Old 02-09-2005, 06:18 PM   #17
wolfeskins
The Starter

[QUOTE=offiss]I am not a big Lavar fan he's way overated, he's judged by his athletisism and not as a football player in which I think he is not, he's just another physically gifted player who doesn't have an instinct for the game.

how can you say he doesn't have instinct ? he may not be the best student of the game but instinct is what he plays of off more than anything else. playing of just his instinct has put him in the pro bowl a few times. spending this past year on the sidelines just watching, listening and learning the d in the class room is going to make him even better than before. to say he is overrated , in my opinion , is crazy.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:22 PM   #18
BossHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
I see LaVar as a leader on the field...
Let's just say he leads by example.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:25 PM   #19
azskinsfan2
Special Teams

Lavar will make a huge difference!!! Every Quarterback in the league is going to be looking to see where Lavar is coming from because he'll be headhunting!!!! I can't wait to have him back. The true leader on the D though is Antonio Pierce, and we must get him to stay. (hopefully Smoot too).
Old 02-09-2005, 09:08 PM   #20
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Lavar Arrington is the most physically gifted athlete on the Skins defense - and maybe on the whole roster. He makes big plays and he gives up big plays. Daseal has hit that one on the mark.

Arrington is not a leader on the field or off the field because he is an individual player who thinks first about what he is doing (hence his love of "freelancing" ) and not about what the team needs to be doing. When he signed his big contract about a year and a half ago, his comment then was that he could now assume a leadership role because he was being paid like a leader. That statement alone tells me he has no idea what a leader is or what a leader needs to do in order to be effective in that role.

Makes no difference if anyone thinks the Skins would be better with him or without him. Given his monster contract, there is NO way the Skins would cut him or trade him.

In terms of leadership and team bonding skills, can we hear from PSUskinsfan11 about how big a leadership role he played at PSU. Let me only say in summary that he was not exactly considered a "coach on the field".
Old 02-10-2005, 12:27 AM   #21
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

SC - Sean Taylor is the best athlete! You hate him, but Greg Williams (I think) said Sean Taylor is the best Safety, Linebacker, Wide receiver, Running back, Cornerback we have on our team.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:31 AM   #22
MTK
\m/

As far as pure athleticism that's a tough call between Taylor and Arrington, I'd put them at 1 and 1a.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:08 AM   #23
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

We should feel lucky that we have that kind of talent on the defensive side of the ball. Now all we need is a little more talent on the offensive side and we should be fine.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:31 AM   #24
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins_P
We should feel lucky that we have that kind of talent on the defensive side of the ball. Now all we need is a little more talent on the offensive side and we should be fine.
Very true, hopefully next season we can avoid the injury bug that bit us so hard this year.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:00 AM   #25
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Matty - the injury bug hit the defense hard. We lost our best tackle, but that shouldn't be an excuse for being the worst offense in the league. Other than that our offensive starters ended the season a lot like they started it. Coles was hurt from day 1, and he wouldn't sit and he probably won't be healthy next year either. We lost Thomas for a couple games, Samuels had a few injuries but played through them, and played well. We lost Portis when it was too late and if we were going for a playoff spot he probably would have played.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:51 AM   #26
MTK
\m/

I was referring to the injury bug on the D, you're right injuries weren't a huge factor on O.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:58 PM   #27
Monksdown
The Starter

I dont know that we need his leadership. Middle linebackers lead. That's why they moved Arrington to weak side. His aggressiveness and athleticism pulls him out of position. He is better suited as a follow up linebacker. His speed can close down a running play from behind. But in that role, he will be explosive in our defensive. I dont know that it's feasible to trade him anyway, due to his cap figure. Im excited about seeing what he does within this defensive scheme. Lavar on the weakside implies less blockers, which allows him to showcase his acceleration.

Antonio is perfect for the middle. Im concerned with Barrow though. We do pay him an aweful lot to sit him. And we cant trade him after his "no show" last season.

And as for the Arrington for Moss trade rumors. That is simply stupid. We dont need to sell our defense to pay for our offense. We have the draft, we'll get Williams(wr),(slow, but big and strong) or Heath Miller(TE) from Virginia to supplement our "developing" offense.

100 % chance that we go offensive in the first round this year. Or trade that pick for a wide out. Remember, Danny is on our side, so think big.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:17 PM   #28
saden1
MVP

If they trade Lavar I wouldn't be upset one bit.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:23 PM   #29
Monksdown
The Starter

Yeah, maybe slide Antonio back to where he was on the outside. He's just not as fast.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:25 PM   #30
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Dasea:

I do not hate Sean Taylor - even a little bit. I don't think he's a "fine fellow" or a person in whom I would place any great amount of trust, but I don't hate him at all.

I said here before - I think in regard to Danny Boy Snyder - that the kinds of people I really hate are the ones who do monstrously awful things (Hitler, Stalin, Jeffrey Dahmer, Charles Manson). I merely think Sean Taylor is a spoiled egomaniacal brat. My shorthand for that is:

MEATHEAD !!

And BTW, I think Arrington is the better athlete of the two...
Closed Thread