Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-04-2011, 08:57 PM   #16
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Re: Kudos to the Skins 2011 Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirClintonPortis View Post
It's been 30 years since 1981.
I would be thrilled if Kerrigan and Jenkins turned into the defensive equivalent of Mark May and Russ Grimm.

Advertisements
Old 09-04-2011, 08:57 PM   #17
That Guy
Living Legend

vinny kept his entire last draft, which was also pretty big... and 2 years later fred davis is the last (and only) man standing... so let's make sure they can play first .
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:05 PM   #18
JoeRedskin

The 2008 class had an entirely different feel to it. The general response from the fan community was "WTF???" Very much a Vinny draft. In 2011, we had solid picks from pretty much top to bottom. Interestingly, the pick I rremember everyone grousing about was Jenkins b/c of his poor reps in the weight room.

Hmmm. Maybe this group watched tape, instead of headlines, to do their draft research.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:06 PM   #19
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

I refuse to use the word "kudos" unless I grow a pony tail or a uterus.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:08 PM   #20
JoeRedskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
vinny kept his entire last draft, which was also pretty big... and 2 years later fred davis is the last (and only) man standing... so let's make sure they can play first .
and Rob Jackson. Who has looked pretty beastly in preseason. --- Just a random thought, how's this for 3rd down & long 4-3 set: Kerrigan, Orakpo at DE, Cofield, Bowen at DT; Fletcher MLB w/ Jackson and White outside.

Let the offenses try to figure where the pressure is going to come from.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:13 PM   #21
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Walton View Post
I refuse to use the word "kudos" unless I grow a pony tail or a uterus.
LOL Do that and you'll have something special there.
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:24 PM   #22
budw38
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
and Rob Jackson. Who has looked pretty beastly in preseason. --- Just a random thought, how's this for 3rd down & long 4-3 set: Kerrigan, Orakpo at DE, Cofield, Bowen at DT; Fletcher MLB w/ Jackson and White outside.

That would resemble the " grits blits "http://www.profootballresearchers.org/Coffin_Corner/20-06-777.pdf or maybe the 85 bears 46 defense - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. I don't expect that kind of success at this point , but would love to see us rack up 45 plus sacks this year .
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:29 PM   #23
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:

Lorenzo Alexander would probably adapt to a 4-3 LB better than White. LOL.

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:45 PM   #24
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

National Football League: NFL Draft History - by Team

Very true about the 08 draft, but if you remember around that time, Durant Brooks was cut during the season and Nick Frost was the better punter in that competition, Colt Brennan (MY BOY!) never played a single snap in the NFL and Zorn just had him just to have a 3rd QB(Daniel played better than Colt, but again it was a draft pick over an undrafted), Rob Jackson was put on the PS either that year or the year after, Rinehart never played and was a Malcolm Kelly in terms of always being injured. Speaking of Malcolm, he never played, nor did DT, and I remember Zorn saying they wouldnt see much or any playing time that year because they needed to develope...Bullsh!t, he just didn't have faith in them nor did he think they were good after he had them on his team.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:20 PM   #25
VegasSkinsFan
Impact Rookie

I agree on holding off on labeling this draft class a success. That said, it sure does feel like we didn't waste picks. This was the first year we didn't win the offseason super bowl and it's a good feeling. I'd rather us have gradual demonstrated progression instead of the quick fix. If we have a couple draft classes of solid picks and fill in with value veterans we'll be a contender.
VegasSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:08 AM   #26
That Guy
Living Legend

I mean, I like kerrigan (reminds me of aaron kampman in a way), jenkins (and did on draft day too), helu, and g(n)omes, and they've looked good. I'm not sold on hankerson, but WRs can take a couple years, I just don't remember very many guys overcoming the 50/50 disease, so I'll wait on judgement.

still 2 long term starters and 3 long term backups is a good haul... I don't think helu can be a #1 back in a normal running offense, but in the one cut zone scheme, he should take less hits and find more open lanes to sprint through untouched and be effective.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:18 AM   #27
Mechanix544
The Starter

lets see if some of them can translate to on the field success. Playing against starters in this league week in week out is a bit of a challenge, especially for a rook. but I agree, i am more optimistic than I have been in some time.
Mechanix544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:09 PM   #28
JoeRedskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
National Football League: NFL Draft History - by Team

Very true about the 08 draft, but if you remember around that time, Durant Brooks was cut during the season and Nick Frost was the better punter in that competition, Colt Brennan (MY BOY!) never played a single snap in the NFL and Zorn just had him just to have a 3rd QB(Daniel played better than Colt, but again it was a draft pick over an undrafted), Rob Jackson was put on the PS either that year or the year after, Rinehart never played and was a Malcolm Kelly in terms of always being injured. Speaking of Malcolm, he never played, nor did DT, and I remember Zorn saying they wouldnt see much or any playing time that year because they needed to develope...Bullsh!t, he just didn't have faith in them nor did he think they were good after he had them on his team.
Not quite sure of your point. "He didn't have faith in them"? How does that contradict Zorn's statement that they needed to develop. Are you attempting to defend the talent level of any of the picks? Jackson has taken three years to develop. Kelly, Rinehart and Brennan are out of football and are not coming back. DT is a returner and nothing more after having been cut by that offensively loaded team the Panthers. Brooks over Frost was a sitution where you keep the draft pick in hopes of development. For the record both Frost and Brooks are now out of football.

2008 was a sucky draft and that fact was obvious almost from the first time the rookies put on pads.

2011 may end up with the same fate (2 actives after 3 years), but I am thinking it shows a LOT more promise right now than the 2008 did at this time. But for Jenkins injury, two rookies would be starting and one would be expected (Jenkins) to be playing very well. That just wasn't true of the 2008 class.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:12 PM   #29
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
The 2008 class had an entirely different feel to it. The general response from the fan community was "WTF???" Very much a Vinny draft. In 2011, we had solid picks from pretty much top to bottom. Interestingly, the pick I rremember everyone grousing about was Jenkins b/c of his poor reps in the weight room.

Hmmm. Maybe this group watched tape, instead of headlines, to do their draft research.
I never understood that. I really don't care if guys are weight room warriors. This is football, not a strong man competition. Jenkins was having the best camp out of everyone. Such a shame that he got hurt.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:15 PM   #30
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:

I think Jackson has really benefited from the switch to a 3-4. He actually looked better rushing the passer than Kerrigan. And White the other night was just like a monster out there. Now let's see it against the Giants!
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote