Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

MD beats #5 NC

Other Sports

Old 02-26-2007, 04:11 AM   #16
BigSKINBauer
Pro Bowl

Re: MD beats #5 NC

Whatever, no one is going to remember virginia's AMAZING season unless they actually win something. It doesn't seem they win much in anything but lax and soccer. I am glad we could help UVA and us at the same time by beating UNC. Their week has been good because they got a bye but they still lost to Miami. Maybe it'll reflect on their ranking of 19? UMD lost to miami too but that was early and we were in sort of a rut. We are hot when we need to be hot (5 straight and 4 by double digits). Hopefully we get a rematch against UVA in the acc tourney but they might just have our number this year. Maybe we should hope someone like miami knocks them out first.

The terps seem to be in now and they are dangerous. They can beat anyone when they play like they did at the end today. The major problem this year has been that boom and mike jones fell off during the middle of the season which resulted in our 2-5 acc start that went up a bit to 3-6 before our 5 game streak. The freshmen weren't playing as well early in the year when boom and jones were playing well. It seems, right now, everyone is playing extremely well and that is why we have been hot lately. If anyone has to pick up their game it is ibekwe. He is a freaking senor and he should play like it. Hopefully we can pick up these last two wins and go into the acc tourney with a relatively high seeding. There is no doubt in my mind, we can win the acc. We just have to play at the level of intensity we played at today. I am looking for a number 6 seeding in the NCAA tourney(assuming we don't win the ACC tourney) and that could fall to a 5,4 or even a crazy 3 depending on how we play in these last games.
BigSKINBauer is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-26-2007, 08:23 AM   #17
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
Haha they were the back side of the thing they gave up. It just shows that UVA kids are smart fans, we saw the back and turned them around realizing that it was distracting.

The refs were about to give a tech to the crowd, how lame is that, so we stopped.
Smart enough to get your team a tech. Nice.

Maryland's been on a great roll lately, hopefully they can keep it up. On ESPN last night they had their bracketology guy saying that UMD could get actually get as high as a 4 seed if they go deep into the ACC tournament. That would be some nice redemption for getting screwed out of the Dance last season.

Today we spell redemption "R-O-N;" I mean "T-E-R-P-S."
Old 02-26-2007, 08:40 AM   #18
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

I caught bits and pieces of the game while flipping around (Damn Nascar race was boring, but that was expected). It's pretty cool when my wife see the MD #23 pull up for a 3, she's shouting "Mike Jones".

They're on a roll right now. Reminds me of the 03-04 season, when they struggled in the middle of the year, only to make a huge run down the stretch, including winning the ACC Tourney.

I wouldn't consider a win over Duke at Cameron this week as an upset. MD has played Duke very well over the last few years, and Duke is definitely not the team they have been.

It'll be an interesting week, to see where they are ranked for the Tourney. This team has the talent and players to beat anyone in the ACC.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:12 AM   #19
GhettoDogAllStars
Playmaker

That was definitely a GREAT game. We would have dominated them, if we had played defense for the entire game. We need to be more consistent, and play more defense. A real big man wouldn't hurt either. We had a hard time stopping Hansborough, if we want to beat Duke we'll need to shutdown McRoberts.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:01 PM   #20
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Maryland can honestly suck it for all I care. They aren't gonna do crap in the ACC tourney. I hope they make the NCAA tourney so I can see them get destroyed.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:04 PM   #21
hooskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
Smart enough to get your team a tech. Nice.

Maryland's been on a great roll lately, hopefully they can keep it up. On ESPN last night they had their bracketology guy saying that UMD could get actually get as high as a 4 seed if they go deep into the ACC tournament. That would be some nice redemption for getting screwed out of the Dance last season.

Today we spell redemption "R-O-N;" I mean "T-E-R-P-S."
Thats because everyone on ESPN sweats UMD and Gary Williams nuts. UVA gets no love whatsoever on mainstream sports networks. All this bracketology crap is just stupid. I expect UVA to get a low seed, but I could care less, that kinda stuff is just motivation for us.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:40 PM   #22
BigSKINBauer
Pro Bowl

Thats because Gary and UMD have a history of success. UVA isn't much better than UMD anyway. We outrank you in the AP poll and you out rank us in the Coach's poll. You beat us twice where one was when we were sucking and was due to an enormous amount of penalties and the other was a good game that went down to the wire.

I don't know how you can say the terps aren't going to do anything in the ACC tourney. They just beat the best team in the conference and beat Duke a couple weeks ago. People say Duke was in a rut but the thing is Duke lost close games. They lost three in a row before the terps loss. They lost the two games before by a combined 3 points and the other was like by 6. The Terps beat them by double digits. We are hot. We aren't going to break down right now against teams like Miami.

UVA is lucky they got that bye because they are going to need it. 3-2 in the last 5. You did lose to a good V.tech team but just using the word lose is a MAJOR understatment. You lost by something like 30 at tech. You play tech this week and I, for one, don't have UVA winning that. You are going to beat wake in your last week and finish your season a cool 4-3 and 3-3 in conference play with wins against gtech, florida state, and wake forest. Great way to end the season. UVA's hot streak started and ended with maryland. You won 7 ACC games and beat 3 ranked opponents in that streak.

UVA needs to prove itself by beating tech this week. If they don't a 6th seed in the tourney is right where you should be, if not lower.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:00 PM   #23
BigSKINBauer
Pro Bowl

look at the front page of espn's college bball page
ESPN.com - Men's Basketball Index

A link separate to that of the main picture
ESPN.com - NCB - Weekly Watch: Talented Terps and Big Game Drew

Quote:
TEAM OF THE WEEK: MARYLAND
D.J. Strawberry
AP Photo/Gail Burton
D.J. Strawberry poured in a career-high 27 points against UNC.
By Andy Katz

Now this is more like it. Maryland finally is playing like the team we all saw in New York City in November.

The Terps' win over North Carolina on Sunday night was the kind of effort at both ends of the court that Maryland has the potential to produce. Now the Terps have won five in a row, including knocking off Duke and winning at NC State and Clemson. This past week started with an 18-point win over Florida State.

The Terps' athleticism, their ability to play different speeds, and the fact that they finally are playing with purpose and pride make them a dangerous team heading into March.

Maryland is a classic case of a team that is playing well at the right time. The Terps appeared to be in danger of sliding out of the Dance a month ago, but they have the talent to make it to the Elite Eight.
Like I said we just that hot right now.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:55 PM   #24
Big C
Mr. Brightside

Quote:
Thats because everyone on ESPN sweats UMD and Gary Williams nuts. UVA gets no love whatsoever on mainstream sports networks. All this bracketology crap is just stupid. I expect UVA to get a low seed, but I could care less, that kinda stuff is just motivation for us.
espn doesnt like uva because they hate the culture of sports at uva...they called u guys a "wine and cheese crowd" during the comentary of the game, and they cant stand the ties at football games...until that changes i dont know if uva will ever get credit, and i doubt it will change
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:31 AM   #25
BigSKINBauer
Pro Bowl

Those ties and sun dresses is one of the dumbest traditions in sports IMO.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:50 AM   #26
hooskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
espn doesnt like uva because they hate the culture of sports at uva...they called u guys a "wine and cheese crowd" during the comentary of the game, and they cant stand the ties at football games...until that changes i dont know if uva will ever get credit, and i doubt it will change
I could care less what ESPN things about our school, like I mentioned before I don't care what the mainstream thinks about the school. Of course we have no right to talk shit yet in bball and especially not in football. You have to earn the right to do that in the future.

There are plenty of other schools that dress up to football games in the south and they get love from ESPN all the time. If seriously believe the sole reason UVA is accepted by ESPN is because people wear ties to games, that is really ignorant. It's mainly because our major sports programs haven't done much.

If UVA wins the tourney, then everyone on ESPN and mainstream media will start to sweat UVA because they would think its a great classy university with tradition and blah blah.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:35 AM   #27
Big C
Mr. Brightside

Quote:
I could care less what ESPN things about our school, like I mentioned before I don't care what the mainstream thinks about the school. Of course we have no right to talk shit yet in bball and especially not in football. You have to earn the right to do that in the future.

There are plenty of other schools that dress up to football games in the south and they get love from ESPN all the time. If seriously believe the sole reason UVA is accepted by ESPN is because people wear ties to games, that is really ignorant. It's mainly because our major sports programs haven't done much.

If UVA wins the tourney, then everyone on ESPN and mainstream media will start to sweat UVA because they would think its a great classy university with tradition and blah blah.
ignorant? it may not be the sole reason but it certainly plays into it a great deal, with all of the comments ive heard from commentators or personalities, including the guys who did ur last game, colin cowherd, football commentators saying the only guys wearing suits should be in the booth not in the stands. u say u dont care what espn thinks yet u complained about them blowing maryland earlier...hmmm....i dont think im ignorant for saying that as an opinion, a pretty fair one. put on those blinders
Old 02-27-2007, 10:12 AM   #28
hooskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
ignorant? it may not be the sole reason but it certainly plays into it a great deal, with all of the comments ive heard from commentators or personalities, including the guys who did ur last game, colin cowherd, football commentators saying the only guys wearing suits should be in the booth not in the stands. u say u dont care what espn thinks yet u complained about them blowing maryland earlier...hmmm....i dont think im ignorant for saying that as an opinion, a pretty fair one. put on those blinders
Um maybe you misread my previous comments, I am just mentioning the fact that ESPN is all over Gary Williams nuts and that is why the bracketology people keep on talking about them. That is why they get more love than many teams, not just UVA. Plus you are gonna let a couple commentators paint your perceptions about what an entire network feels about UVA? If that isn't ignorant, I am not sure what is.

I never said I was jealous that ESPN blows UMD, check out what I said. I was just saying they did. Like I said before about 3 times, I want people to underestimate us, more motivation.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:14 AM   #29
Big C
Mr. Brightside

Quote:
Um maybe you misread my previous comments, I am just mentioning the fact that ESPN is all over Gary Williams nuts and that is why the bracketology people keep on talking about them. That is why they get more love than many teams, not just UVA. Plus you are gonna let a couple commentators paint your perceptions about what an entire network feels about UVA? If that isn't ignorant, I am not sure what is.

I never said I was jealous that ESPN blows UMD, check out what I said. I was just saying they did. Like I said before about 3 times, I want people to underestimate us, more motivation.
just to name a few...

do uva people always have to call tech people ignorant or dumb?
Old 02-27-2007, 10:47 AM   #30
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

UVA is classy. So classy that when Juan Dixon was a senior the UVA student section decided the civilized thing to do whenever he got the ball was to start chanting "CRACK-HEAD-PARENTS!" because his mother and father died from AIDS when he was a teenager. Gotta love those Cavs!