IT Professionals Please Help

Parking Lot

Old 10-17-2007, 03:28 PM   #16
jdlea
Playmaker

Re: IT Professionals Please Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Just about everything IT related is expensive when it comes to formal education. Usually in the 20K + range for a full complement of classes.

If you're going the Microsoft certification route, you can save yourself a ton of money by just buying the books and studying your ass off. I have an uncle that did it with no prior IT knowledge, so it is possible, but you have to be willing to put in a LOT of study time. And you can also take practice tests so that you don't go into the official test, not knowing what to expect.
Yeah, you're definitely going to have to put a ton of time in if you don't want to take the class. Also, I would recommend starting with an "easier" certification if you're unfamiliar with the IT field. I recommend A+. It doesn't mean much to have, but it can get you an entry level job as an IT guy while you work toward learning more and getting more experience and certifications. I would say that A+ is a good way to go early. It will definitely help you get a desktop support type job.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-17-2007, 03:30 PM   #17
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea View Post
Yeah, you're definitely going to have to put a ton of time in if you don't want to take the class. Also, I would recommend starting with an "easier" certification if you're unfamiliar with the IT field. I recommend A+. It doesn't mean much to have, but it can get you an entry level job as an IT guy while you work toward learning more and getting more experience and certifications. I would say that A+ is a good way to go early. It will definitely help you get a desktop support type job.
Most definitely. If you know just a basic amount about computers, a little studying will make this certification almost automatic.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:31 PM   #18
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post
This is how I did it when I got out of the Navy 3 1/2 years ago:

(I already had some BASIC knowledge from being the guy in my family that always had to "fix" the computer)

LEVEL I tech support full time for an ISP, ITT Tech full time simultaneously for 2 years(not the best school but super flexible and most of the instructors were still active in the field). The level I tech support you'll learn basically everything you need for that job(basic fixes) within 2 - 3 months. It'll also help you grasp some more advanced concepts later.

Desktop Support/Network Technician for 1 year at a smaller company where I was able to do basically whatever I wanted.

Currently I'm in a position where my title is Network Admin but it's more like Admin's assistant. I work for an international company (M&M Mars) and I absolutely love my job. I learn every day, I get to play with all of the coolest toys and have a career I am more than happy to devote "off hours" to.

Like Saden said, be flexible. I am trying to get more open source experience as we are currently using Netware and will be heading that way within a few (2?) years. But the whole world speaks M$ so you really can't go wrong there, plus it's easy to break in.

Overall, just make sure it's what you really want and not just something to do for money...
You're not going to go with AD?
Old 10-17-2007, 04:20 PM   #19
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
You're not going to go with AD?
Apparently not. Obviously that would be far too easy. The next version of "Netware" is based on Suse so that's going to be the eventual progression. I'm relatively new to netware and, while I am learning it, I also hate it.

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:29 PM   #20
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Oh man, we're in the process of moving over to AD. Netware was the biggest pain in the ass EVER.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:43 PM   #21
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

How big of a process is the move? Seems like so much gets embedded with Netware that you end up almost starting over...

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:34 PM   #22
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post
Apparently not. Obviously that would be far too easy. The next version of "Netware" is based on Suse so that's going to be the eventual progression. I'm relatively new to netware and, while I am learning it, I also hate it.
You sound just like me. I've worked with Netware for a little over two years now and don't like it either.