Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Fat tax?? What next, Big Brother?

Parking Lot

Old 10-17-2007, 01:56 PM   #16
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: Fat tax?? What next, Big Brother?

In general, I do agree with the sentiment that we should be looking for ways to use our government funds more efficiently. There is indeed a lot of wasteful spending. Each program spends a bunch of its time trying to justify why they need to exist and why they needs funds, rather than actually putting the funds to good use.

Trimming spending is a good idea. At the same time, people just need to accept that our government is going to have some inefficiencies. It's a huge damn country. It's never going to be perfect. That said, we can definitely improve it.

But all that is neither here nor there; the core argument here really is whether or not the concept of a fat tax is bothersome. To me, it doesn't take away freedoms, and it helps ensure that those who will use the Medicare system most often will be paying more for it. I can't see what's not to like.

Advertisements
Old 10-17-2007, 02:01 PM   #17
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

While I am shocked at the tolerance (at least on the surface) of the reponse in this thread of more govt intervention in our lives, so be it.
None of these intrusions impact me directly, l but I have concerns that they will in time directly impact things that ARE important to me.......and you!
I believe our govt is far to comfortable spending our tax dollars frivolously. I believe our govt is legislating ways to force Americans to comply with what "they" believe is best for us. I believe they have NO business doing either.
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:03 PM   #18
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Well, we already have helmet laws, and motorcycle insurance is quite limited in it's coverage when compared to car insurance.
Depends on who you're talking about...there are still several states with no Helmet laws, such as where I live in NM.

I understand the comments about these people should pay a higher premium to kill themselves, it's a valid argument, but my concern is the slippery slope we're heading down.
Seat belt laws, anti gun laws, cig taxes...they are all in an effort to somehow control the general population. Wearing a seat belt should be my choice. Wearing a helmet should be my choice. Eating a burger at McDonalds should be my choice without having to pay a higher premium. What you guys are failing to see is that if this tax goes through places like McDonalds, Burger king etc will lose business, if they lose business, what is going to happen to the economy? How many employees do those fast food places employ? By taxing the food, the gov is saying we the people are wrong for choosing it. In a lot of cases we are, but who is the Gov to step in and tell everyone so. I personally HATE McDonalds with a passion, but my wife (who is 115 pounds) LOVES it. (the big n tasty) She is not fat, nor out of shape. She exercises every day to every other day...why should she be over charged for that burger?
I wear a selt belt every time I get in a car, but I understand the rights of others to not want to. I grew up in a state where you didn't have to (Mass) until recently. I don't always wear a helmet when I ride my motorcycle, and it's quite a different experience for those that haven't done it. I wear it when I plan to ride fast, (highways), but I don't if I'm piddling around town. I should never be told I have to wear a helmet, or a seat belt.
AGain, I understand the counter point to this, but I feel a lot of people are missing the point that this is becoming an evermore slippery slope. What's next? We are allowing the government to tell us what to do in just about everything we do, and that's not why the government is here. The government should not say "well you're not going to take care of yourself, so we will take care of you for you." And who really takes the brunt of this general idea? The people who work hard for a living. Cause they are over taxed and no cig tax, or fast food tax will decrease the amount of tax burden on the working man.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:07 PM   #19
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
While I am shocked at the tolerance (at least on the surface) of the reponse in this thread of more govt intervention in our lives, so be it.
None of these intrusions impact me directly, l but I have concerns that they will in time directly impact things that ARE important to me.......and you!
I believe our govt is far to comfortable spending our tax dollars frivolously. I believe our govt is legislating ways to force Americans to comply with what "they" believe is best for us. I believe they have NO business doing either.
I think you're way off base and a little crazy at the same time.

If you think the tax is about anything other than trying to find a way to fund healthcare for the 40 million people who don't have coverage, then you're crazy. Politicians want votes, and if they pass a tax that helps 40 million people get coverage a bit easier, then they'll do it.

Politicians don't care if you die from eating fatty food. All they care about is getting elected, so they're not going to care about your freedom to eat a big mac. They just want votes.

Secondly, I think you're WAY overblowing this. For some reason, you're equating a tax with the government discouraging you (or even prohibiting you) from doing certain things. It sounds like you smoked some bad dope and you can't shake the paranoia. Trust me Hog, this fat tax is not a gateway to a mandatory nationwide 7:00 pm curfew. Nobody's trying to control you, they just want more money so they can make more people in the country vote for them.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:10 PM   #20
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Honestly, as far as I'm concerned, I'd rather us see people stick it to some insurance companies. I know we've had this conversation in the past, yadda yadda yadda, but I HATE paying out the ass for "peace of mind". I haven't had to use it once yet, and still I've paid thousands of dollars over my lifetime.

They get to roll in MY money.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:15 PM   #21
MTK
\m/

How does a $.5 hike on cheeseburgers represent an intrusion into our daily lives by the gov't??

The slippery slope excuse is really overblown. We still have the freedom of choice when it comes to everything mentioned in this thread, there's just a price to pay if you make a certain decision.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:18 PM   #22
EternalEnigma21
Assistant Regional Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
I completely agree about the frivolous spending, but in regards to taxing fast foods, I see it as just another luxury tax. No one likes them, but they're a part of life and have been for centuries. Buying fast food is a choice, and you can opt not to buy it...

now, as far as fatty foods at grocery stores, go... that I'm not too sure about. Not everyone can afford to buy the lighter leaner foods as they're usually sold at a premium. I know when Im on a tight food budget I ain't exactly spending alot of time in the produce section...

I do have to say that the govt is taking measures (at least in the intelligence field) to ensure spending is more productive, implementing the "intelligence czar", etc... and opening lines of communication and information sharing between the agencies.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:21 PM   #23
EternalEnigma21
Assistant Regional Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
Honestly, as far as I'm concerned, I'd rather us see people stick it to some insurance companies. I know we've had this conversation in the past, yadda yadda yadda, but I HATE paying out the ass for "peace of mind". I haven't had to use it once yet, and still I've paid thousands of dollars over my lifetime.

They get to roll in MY money.

people stick it to insurance companies every day with unreasonable frivolous lawsuits that people like you and I have to pay for...
Old 10-17-2007, 02:25 PM   #24
MTK
\m/

If you don't like insurance don't buy it. After all the odds are in your favor of probably never needing to use it.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:26 PM   #25
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Depends on who you're talking about...there are still several states with no Helmet laws, such as where I live in NM.

I understand the comments about these people should pay a higher premium to kill themselves, it's a valid argument, but my concern is the slippery slope we're heading down.
Seat belt laws, anti gun laws, cig taxes...they are all in an effort to somehow control the general population. Wearing a seat belt should be my choice. Wearing a helmet should be my choice. Eating a burger at McDonalds should be my choice without having to pay a higher premium. What you guys are failing to see is that if this tax goes through places like McDonalds, Burger king etc will lose business, if they lose business, what is going to happen to the economy? How many employees do those fast food places employ? By taxing the food, the gov is saying we the people are wrong for choosing it. In a lot of cases we are, but who is the Gov to step in and tell everyone so. I personally HATE McDonalds with a passion, but my wife (who is 115 pounds) LOVES it. (the big n tasty) She is not fat, nor out of shape. She exercises every day to every other day...why should she be over charged for that burger?
I wear a selt belt every time I get in a car, but I understand the rights of others to not want to. I grew up in a state where you didn't have to (Mass) until recently. I don't always wear a helmet when I ride my motorcycle, and it's quite a different experience for those that haven't done it. I wear it when I plan to ride fast, (highways), but I don't if I'm piddling around town. I should never be told I have to wear a helmet, or a seat belt.
AGain, I understand the counter point to this, but I feel a lot of people are missing the point that this is becoming an evermore slippery slope. What's next? We are allowing the government to tell us what to do in just about everything we do, and that's not why the government is here. The government should not say "well you're not going to take care of yourself, so we will take care of you for you." And who really takes the brunt of this general idea? The people who work hard for a living. Cause they are over taxed and no cig tax, or fast food tax will decrease the amount of tax burden on the working man.
See my previous post to Hog1. Seems like the two of you are both smoking the same bag of weed.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:29 PM   #26
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
See my previous post to Hog1. Seems like the two of you are both smoking the same bag of weed.
Now I understand when someone says they feel retarded after smoking.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:27 PM   #27
mredskins
Gamebreaker

How about no tax on health food. I bet that won't happen.
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:51 PM   #28
RobH4413
Wildcard Bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
How about no tax on health food. I bet that won't happen.
Maybe you should be proactive and try to make this happen. Write your congressman a letter, find out his point of view on the issue, and ask him why he has that stance.

I believe if your living in Abingdon,MD you would be in the first district.

Here is where you can contact Congressman Wayne Gilchrest
Congressman Wayne Gilchrest - Serving Maryland's First District

Who knows, someone may happen.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:56 PM   #29
firstdown
Living Legend

I'm for 0 new taxes on anything weather it helps me or not. I'm tired of the goverment wasting my money and the more they have the more they wast.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:01 PM   #30
firstdown
Living Legend

I have also heard the argument that smoking and obess people save medicare money because they die younger.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote