Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Gore Wins Nobel Peace Prize

Parking Lot

Old 10-12-2007, 11:51 AM   #16
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Re: Gore Wins Nobel Peace Prize

I'm saying that if he brings up a topic and starts enough discussion to the point that you ask yourself that question, it's a positive. As positive as if he were "walking the walk?" No. But I'm not certain that what's been said regarding his personal habits is entirely true. There's alot of misinformation out there on both sides.

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-12-2007, 11:58 AM   #17
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post
Woah, SS, I am making no such assumptions. I do not know if he would win the Democratic nomination. I'm asking whether or not he could engender enough trust within both parties to make him the most attractive democratic option. If that is the case than he would subsequently be the best choice to represent the democrats in the upcoming election.
Ok, I guess when you wrote "win over enough Republicans" I misunderstood you.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:01 PM   #18
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

No worries. I could have stated it more clearly.

Thomas Paine
Old 10-12-2007, 12:20 PM   #19
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
I still think a worldwide recognition of those making positive contributions in keys areas is worthy of respect. The fact that there have been less than admirable selections at times is inconsequential. The fact that there have been despicable nominees in not surprising as anyone can be nominated provided they have the right backing. That speaks to nothing regarding the quality of the award.

Regarding Gore doing scientific research... that's not his job nor is it a reasonable expectation of him or any other politician. His role is to bring attention, key discussion and make associated policy. I don't care if he can't brake down the molecular construction of ozone, as long as he can implement effective policy that limits the destruction of said layer.
Its his job to make sure that the facts that he presents are correct. If he is pushing for the US and World to change things then I would hope that he has had people check his facts to make sure that they are correct. Thats what makes his film and what he says so funny is that people just say its so serious that they do not even care if it is bassed of sound science.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:29 PM   #20
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Its his job to make sure that the facts that he presents are correct.
Absolutely agree. Sometimes you can nitpick things to the point that you miss the overall message, but yes, it's his job to make sure his facts are just that, facts.

Thomas Paine
Old 10-12-2007, 12:37 PM   #21
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Because Arafat won it it's worthless? What about the worthy people who have won it? You're completely dissing their accomplishments as worthy of a worthless prize.

As for Arafat may I remind you he won the prize WITH Yitzhak Rabin FOR trying to bring an end the middle east conflict. A desired and admirable goal.
I am saying this.......award has become less than it once was because of political motivations. Some of the nominating commitee would substantiate that point as they resigned in protest at the time rather than allow Arafat to recieve the award on their watch.
Do you not believe this seriously cheapens the award? Do you not think it....comical, that arguably the worlds most successful terrorist recieves the (until then) worlds greatest Peace award? It's absurd
It is similar to our own, Hollywood walk of fame that was once the memorial to greatness in the movie making. As I understand it, that has pretty much degenerated to a pay/per kind of deal with the American idol types and other wannebe trash recieving that..........distinction as well.
Like Brittany Spears!
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:01 PM   #22
BigSKINBauer
Pro Bowl

i dislike all the candidates for presidency, republican and democratic, right now. Gore would get my vote if he were to run. He has a responsibility to run. I get upset with the fact that he preaches change but when he has the power to step into a position where he can make a difference, he passes.
BigSKINBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:24 PM   #23
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
I am saying this.......award has become less than it once was because of political motivations. Some of the nominating commitee would substantiate that point as they resigned in protest at the time rather than allow Arafat to recieve the award on their watch.
Do you not believe this seriously cheapens the award? Do you not think it....comical, that arguably the worlds most successful terrorist recieves the (until then) worlds greatest Peace award? It's absurd
It is similar to our own, Hollywood walk of fame that was once the memorial to greatness in the movie making. As I understand it, that has pretty much degenerated to a pay/per kind of deal with the American idol types and other wannebe trash recieving that..........distinction as well.
Like Brittany Spears!
I agree, the award has definitely been more politicized over the years but the overall goal of the peace prize is still noble. Still, I'm not entirely sure what you're advocating here? We get rid of the Nobel Peace Prize or that it's fixed and therefore not creditable? Perhaps you're expecting what you deem as perfect selections to be nominated and win.

And no, I don't think Arafat winning cheapens the award for the simple fact that enough people thought he and Yitzhak Rabin aught to win.

You know, 50% of the population thinks Bush was given the presidency by the Supreme Court but that doesn't cheapen the U.S. presidency nor does it taint the election of former presidents.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:48 PM   #24
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
I agree, the award has definitely been more politicized over the years but the overall goal of the peace prize is still noble. Still, I'm not entirely sure what you're advocating here? We get rid of the Nobel Peace Prize or that it's fixed and therefore not creditable? Perhaps you're expecting what you deem as perfect selections to be nominated and win.

And no, I don't think Arafat winning cheapens the award for the simple fact that enough people thought he and Yitzhak Rabin aught to win.

You know, 50% of the population thinks Bush was given the presidency by the Supreme Court but that doesn't cheapen the U.S. presidency nor does it taint the election of former presidents.
Excuse me for a partial address, but I definately think the Presidency is signifigantly cheapened (not by Bush necessarily, but he is not doing enough to help it either), not so much by actions, but more for inactions. We seem to recieve all lip, and no service on so many fronts, I cannot address them all here (and it seriously pisses me off).
By appearances, our elected officials seem to be concerned with everything but the problems of the people that elected them. That is probably not universally true, but I think the end reult of their collective efforts is.
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:20 PM   #25
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
Like Brittany Spears!
Very good post. An accurate assessment of the prize.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:21 PM   #26
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSKINBauer View Post
i dislike all the candidates for presidency, republican and democratic, right now. Gore would get my vote if he were to run. He has a responsibility to run. I get upset with the fact that he preaches change but when he has the power to step into a position where he can make a difference, he passes.
Then get ready to have more restrictions on your car and utilities, as well as the highest taxes in the world.

edited to add:

I demand a recount on the vote! The Nobel Prize was stolen by Gore.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:24 PM   #27
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Then get ready to have more restrictions on your car and utilities, as well as the highest taxes in the world.

edited to add:

I demand a recount on the vote! The Nobel Prize was stolen by Gore.
I'm not rich but I'd gladly pay more taxes if they want to start using them effectively. (i.e. not on funding ridiculous projects and insane defense contracts)

Thomas Paine
Old 10-12-2007, 02:25 PM   #28
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

I've LIVED all over the world, under different forms of government and there is a lot to be said for the way other countries do things. We don't have a monopoly on good ideas in the U.S.

Thomas Paine
Old 10-12-2007, 02:36 PM   #29
dmek25
MVP

Quote:
I've LIVED all over the world, under different forms of government and there is a lot to be said for the way other countries do things. We don't have a monopoly on good ideas in the U.S.
what a great quote. i cant believe people around here are saying that the Nobel prize is insignificant. what a great accomplishment for Mr Gore. and tend to wonder if the people that believe this are also the same ones that threw Mr Kerry under the bus for serving our great country in Vietnam? and BB, it makes me smile when someone overlooks party affiliation, and tries to put the best man in the white house. no, im not saying that Gore is the best candidate. but right now BB isn't seeing anything out there he likes
Old 10-12-2007, 02:41 PM   #30
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSKINBauer View Post
He was VP for 8 years and what changes beside inventing the internet? What would Gore do if he was in office?
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote