Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

Why is Bonds still allowed to get after the record?

Other Sports

Old 07-26-2007, 05:14 PM   #1
Sammy Baugh Fan
Playmaker

Re: Why is Bonds still allowed to get after the record?

MLB is a joke. Cheaters win.
I went 1 game and I'll never go to another if they embrace bonds

Besides it's 3 minutes of action crammed into 4 hours - George Carlin
Old 07-26-2007, 05:21 PM   #2
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

Can't stand bonds. And don't support MLB AT ALL, could care less!
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 06:16 PM   #3
RobH4413
Wildcard Bitches

Lacrosse will take over baseball in 15 years anyway... who cares. :cheeky-sm

But seriously, I don't happen to think anyone exposed of cheating / doping deserves supreme recognition.

You don't win the gold in olympics, you lose the tour de france, and you certainly aren't allowed to play in professional sports. If there is no positive test, then that's that. End of discussion....

As far as all the allegations go, DMX probably says it best; "Talk is cheap mother F%#$^#".
Old 07-26-2007, 07:52 PM   #4
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH4413 View Post
You don't win the gold in olympics, you lose the tour de france, and you certainly aren't allowed to play in professional sports. If there is no positive test, then that's that. End of discussion....
See, this is what I don't get. You say you need a positive test....but he ADMITTED to taking it, so admission is better than a test. The problem here is him saying he thought he was taking flaxseed oil, and not steroids...and of course, people buying it hook line and sinker.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:49 PM   #5
70Chip
Playmaker

Baseball is so 1956....
Old 07-26-2007, 08:58 PM   #6
MTK
\m/

There's not only the double standard within the sport of baseball, but how about in sports in general. Nobody really cares about steroids in football... seriously did anyone blink an eye about Merriman getting in trouble last year? He still made the Pro Bowl, and outside of a few guys like Jason Taylor nobody really cared, especially amongst the fans.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:39 PM   #7
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
There's not only the double standard within the sport of baseball, but how about in sports in general. Nobody really cares about steroids in football... seriously did anyone blink an eye about Merriman getting in trouble last year? He still made the Pro Bowl, and outside of a few guys like Jason Taylor nobody really cared, especially amongst the fans.
I have to disagree with you here. There was a lot of talk and upset people when he was voted as an all pro. People just have more faith that it was indeed an accident with him, and he publicly came out and apologized, something Bonds has no intentions of doing. That tends to soften people...also, Merriman didn't get the all time sack record, or the all time single season sack record, or any record for that matter.

I will absolutely agree that I think it's wrong that Baseball ignored it. They ignored it cause they almost killed baseball with all that strike crap, then when McGwire got the single season record, that rebounded the entire sport. I'm not saying it's right, but they saw a sizable increase in fan base and revenue. Hard to point out flaws when that happens. Again, 100% wrong...you shouldn't use band aids to close a gaping wounds...they tried it with interleague play as well. If we know it's wrong, shouldn't it be stopped?
Old 07-26-2007, 10:59 PM   #8
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
I have to disagree with you here. There was a lot of talk and upset people when he was voted as an all pro. People just have more faith that it was indeed an accident with him, and he publicly came out and apologized, something Bonds has no intentions of doing. That tends to soften people...also, Merriman didn't get the all time sack record, or the all time single season sack record, or any record for that matter.
It blew over pretty damn quick. Other than Jason Taylor I really don't recall anyone making a big stink over it.

Steroids are much more accepted when it comes to football vs. baseball.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:32 PM   #9
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
It blew over pretty damn quick. Other than Jason Taylor I really don't recall anyone making a big stink over it.

I believe that it is because the steroid policies were not as strict in baseball for a very long time. Either that or use was getting overlooked. In the NFL steroid use has been closely observed. The federal government had to get involved in MLB's business, while Paul Tagliabue was able to keep the fed out of NFL business for the most part. This was due to the fact that the NFL had always handled illegal use of steroids with swift and severe punishment as opposed to MLB.

NFL's Steroid Policy Gets Kudos on Capitol Hill (washingtonpost.com)
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:38 PM   #10
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:

It's not so much about steroid use as it is about records. Baseball has long been about numbers. Everyone knows 56 game hit streak, 755 homeruns, 511 wins, 4,1256 hits, etc.

You may know that Emmitt Smith is the all-time leading rusher, or Jerry Rice has the most receptions all time but off the top of your head do you know the numbers? That's what separates baseball. People make a big deal not because of the steroids so much as numbers that mean something to them suddenly are irrelevant
Old 07-27-2007, 12:37 AM   #11
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
It's not so much about steroid use as it is about records. Baseball has long been about numbers. Everyone knows 56 game hit streak, 755 homeruns, 511 wins, 4,1256 hits, etc.

You may know that Emmitt Smith is the all-time leading rusher, or Jerry Rice has the most receptions all time but off the top of your head do you know the numbers? That's what separates baseball. People make a big deal not because of the steroids so much as numbers that mean something to them suddenly are irrelevant
Beleive it or not, you said that perfectly.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:03 AM   #12
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post

What made these numbers so important? Was it something like a family heirloom that was passed down from generation to generation or is it something else. I do not know baseball so I didn't know the numbers until you just rattled them off. Ironically I do not know the numbers for football either.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:01 PM   #13
dmek25
MVP

in the mid to late 90's. anyone who is someone in baseball, was juicing. so you want bonds out, while the rest of the cheaters keep playing? anyone here think Roger Clemens use steroids at some point in his career?
Old 07-26-2007, 10:13 PM   #14
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
in the mid to late 90's. anyone who is someone in baseball, was juicing. so you want bonds out, while the rest of the cheaters keep playing? anyone here think Roger Clemens use steroids at some point in his career?
BTW- Yes, I have no doubt he did it.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:34 PM   #15
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

We didn't agree on this last time, and we won't this time.

I think the problem is with MLB and cheating is cheating. You think it's Bonds and deliberately breaking a rule that's in the rule books is not as bad as allegedly testing positive that baseball wasn't even concerned with for years anyway.