Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

NASCAR vs NFL???

Other Sports

Old 10-18-2007, 09:50 AM   #16
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Re: NASCAR vs NFL???

College Football would dominate on Saturdays compared to Nascar.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-18-2007, 09:54 AM   #17
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Not necessarily Quake. I'd imagine that during the fall Saturday night races, that the numbers are closer than you think. The average NASCAR fan could give 2 shits about what USC is doing...plus when ABC runs a Saturday night race, it takes away a college game that would normally be in that slot.

College football is a little more geographically divided than the NFL is. You'll find more casual NFL fans than you would casual college football fans. And those casual college football fans are looking at 1 team, not at a whole conference.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:58 AM   #18
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
Not necessarily Quake. I'd imagine that during the fall Saturday night races, that the numbers are closer than you think. The average NASCAR fan could give 2 shits about what USC is doing...plus when ABC runs a Saturday night race, it takes away a college game that would normally be in that slot.

College football is a little more geographically divided than the NFL is. You'll find more casual NFL fans than you would casual college football fans. And those casual college football fans are looking at 1 team, not at a whole conference.

While that is true yes, you gotta believe that with all the games they show on Saturday and the fact that there are more College football fans then Nascar fans, they would still dominate.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:01 AM   #19
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

There's a big overlap between NASCAR fans and college football fans. Ideally one leads into the other scheduling wise
Old 10-18-2007, 12:12 PM   #20
Dlyne8r
Impact Rookie

To answer your original question “Why is NASCAR putting their races up against the NFL?” NASCAR has until recent years always run on Sundays. Not sure why, but it’s just been done that way as long as I can remember. I don’t think it was ever a conscious effort on NASCAR’s part to compete directly with the NFL, or any other sport for that matter. In fact, logic would lead me to believe NASCAR would prefer not to compete against any other popular type programming or sporting event as it would erode their TV ratings. With the exception of the Saturday night Bristol, TN race, until a few years ago hardly any races were run on Saturdays. If I recall correctly, someone discovered that many race fans actually preferred, or at least enjoyed, night time races. Racing under the lights accentuated the fiery crashes, the colorful cars, etc., etc. Plus it would bring NASCAR into the “prime time” slot and further NASCAR’s desire to become more popular. However, there were many other reasons to avoid Saturday evening race times. For instance: college football games and the outcry from local track promoters stating that when the big boys (Nextel Cup) ran on Saturday nights, it ate into their local fan draw and thus depleted revenue dollars, etc.

It is well documented on an ESPN sponsored website called “Jayski’s Silly Season Site” Jayski's® Silly Season Site - Nextel Cup News Page (SmootSmack I believe has mentioned this site before and it is one I’ve read for years) that TV ratings for NASCAR Nextel Cup have slumped. I have said before on the Warpath that I believe there is one major reason NASCAR ratings have slumped and I don’t believe it has anything to do with the NFL and it’s pretty simple: NASCAR has lost it’s identity and has forgotten it’s heritage. In NASCAR’s quest to become more popular and mainstream, it has abandoned some of it’s historic tracks (Rockingham, North Wilksboro, and Darlington for 1 race anyway) for larger market venues such as Chicago, Las Vegas, Miami, etc. This has ripped much of the “personality” from the series and transformed it into a boring parade around prototypical 1-1/2 mile tracks. In addition, with the inception of big corporate dollars for sponsorship, NASCAR has lost its attitude. Drivers, owners, crewmen are no longer allowed to express their emotions in fear of offending someone and creating a backlash to their respective sponsor. It’s just a shame and even though I still watch almost every race, I fast-forward through most of it as it has become more of a chase, and less of an actual race with guys banging into each others doors, fenders, heads, etc.

In response to RobH4413’s comments, I once lived in Annapolis, MD and I am quite familiar with “Fredneck” Maryland! Beautiful rolling countryside among other things. But per your comment about ESPN doing more to educate the new, or casual, race fan, I believe not only has ESPN done a great job at doing just that, the other networks have done an excellent job as well. Have you not seen the “cut-away” car or engine? I think that you’ve “failed to gain any sense of passion for the sport” due to some of the reasons I stated above. Those were some of the things that drew me to NASCAR very many years ago and it is the lack of “personality” that’s got me switching the channel to the Lions vs. Cardinals game (ugh!). Yet another reason to love the DVR: Just record the NASCAR race, regardless of whether its on Saturday or Sunday, you can watch it whenever you wish. I typically watch the race after the ‘Skins game anyway and I can jet past all the commercials. What’s not to like?

Finally, jsarno and SmootSmack, I will ALWAYS be glad to join you in discussions about NASCAR. Even though I’ve stated a waning interest, I’ll always keep the pulse on my second favorite sport…Keep It Coming Guys. (Sorry for the long post!)
Old 10-18-2007, 12:26 PM   #21
RobH4413
Wildcard Bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlyne8r View Post

In response to RobH4413’s comments, I once lived in Annapolis, MD and I am quite familiar with “Fredneck” Maryland! Beautiful rolling countryside among other things. But per your comment about ESPN doing more to educate the new, or casual, race fan, I believe not only has ESPN done a great job at doing just that, the other networks have done an excellent job as well. Have you not seen the “cut-away” car or engine? I think that you’ve “failed to gain any sense of passion for the sport” due to some of the reasons I stated above. Those were some of the things that drew me to NASCAR very many years ago and it is the lack of “personality” that’s got me switching the channel to the Lions vs. Cardinals game (ugh!). Yet another reason to love the DVR: Just record the NASCAR race, regardless of whether its on Saturday or Sunday, you can watch it whenever you wish. I typically watch the race after the ‘Skins game anyway and I can jet past all the commercials. What’s not to like?
Frederick is a very beautiful country side. I actually was raised way up in Braddock mountain out in the sticks. We've even been frequented by a black bear or two..... However, it's definitely growing, and we've even got a half decent night scene now. Down town has virtually transformed, and the traffic is a nightmare. It's just simply following suit a la Gaithersburg

Did you know back in the day John Denver's "Country Roads", was actually written about Clopper road here in Gaithersburg? (Take Me Home, Country Roads - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Anyone familiar with Clopper road, certainly won't understand the inspiration by todays standards.

At any rate... upon talking to a few people regarding Nascar I've realized it's just that I'm not interested, so disregard my rant. I've certainly tried to be receptive, but I've never sparked interest. Oh well.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:38 PM   #22
Dlyne8r
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH4413 View Post
Frederick is a very beautiful country side. I actually was raised way up in Braddock mountain out in the sticks. We've even been frequented by a black bear or two..... However, it's definitely growing, and we've even got a half decent night scene now. Down town has virtually transformed, and the traffic is a nightmare. It's just simply following suit a la Gaithersburg

Did you know back in the day John Denver's "Country Roads", was actually written about Clopper road here in Gaithersburg? (Take Me Home, Country Roads - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Anyone familiar with Clopper road, certainly won't understand the inspiration by todays standards.

At any rate... upon talking to a few people regarding Nascar I've realized it's just that I'm not interested, so disregard my rant. I've certainly tried to be receptive, but I've never sparked interest. Oh well.
No worries, I didn't consider your post a rant, just your feelings about the sport. It's unfortunate that NASCAR has not done more to make their type of racing more exciting. If they were unable to ignite your interest, surely they failed many others as well (not to mention we long time followers that are becomming bored as well).

Off topic again, but yes, I used to work in Gaithersburg and it was a freakin' traffic nightmare! I'm glad to hear Frederick has gained a "night scene," but sad to hear that it is trying to follow suit with G'burg. Clopper Road? Jeeze, yes I remember that road as well. Why in the hell would anybody want to write a song about it escapes me!
Old 10-18-2007, 12:46 PM   #23
Dlyne8r
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post

That definitely holds true in the south! OMG, people here in the ATL worship college football and it was true further north in Nashville, TN (or at least until the Titans cranked up). The NFL is way less important than college ball here and it seems as if everything revolves around NCAA games.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:49 PM   #24
RobH4413
Wildcard Bitches

Quote:

Off topic again, but yes, I used to work in Gaithersburg and it was a freakin' traffic nightmare! I'm glad to hear Frederick has gained a "night scene," but sad to hear that it is trying to follow suit with G'burg. Clopper Road? Jeeze, yes I remember that road as well. Why in the hell would anybody want to write a song about it escapes me!
Ahhh yes... well Clopper road was once beautiful country side as well. The irony is depressing.

On one more off topic (is the open country really off topic in a Nascar thread? ) idea... I recently drove 5 hours deep into Fayetville, WV to the New River Gorge. It's nothing but rolling hills everywhere. It just seems like endless country as far as you can see... and really puts into perspective how much open country still exists, which I didn't realize living in such an urban area.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:04 PM   #25
Dlyne8r
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Ahhh yes... well Clopper road was once beautiful country side as well. The irony is depressing.

On one more off topic (is the open country really off topic in a Nascar thread? ) idea... I recently drove 5 hours deep into Fayetville, WV to the New River Gorge. It's nothing but rolling hills everywhere. It just seems like endless country as far as you can see... and really puts into perspective how much open country still exists, which I didn't realize living in such an urban area.
Yeah, and I remember you could drive north on Georgia Ave. as far as you could and still see some beautiful scenery. Oh well, just like here in Atlanta, not much "countryside" left. Hopefully your drive into WV didn't leed to you to a "Mountain Mama!" You can thank John Denver for that visual!!
Old 10-18-2007, 02:18 PM   #26
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Frederick still isn't near as bad as Gaithersburg, but it's getting there. Having moved from Montgomery Village to Frederick a year ago, I can honestly say it's still easier to get to the highway in the 'Neck than it is in MoCo.

And the drive up Route 97 (Georgia Avenue) has lost some of it's charm. It still has some nice scenery, but some of it has been taken up by subdivisions of McMansions.

Rob - my wife went to Davis and Elkins College in Elkins, WV (about an hour south of Oakland, MD), and once you get past Hagerstown on I-70/I-68, it gets better and better. Driving down US-219, you can see the fresh mountain water flowing out of the hillside from the car. It's a really nice drive, especially this time of year when the leaves are changing.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:33 PM   #27
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
A lot of NASCAR fans are also football fans, but come the Fall it's clear that most are more so football fans than NASCAR fans.

If I knew the right answer I'd be getting a huge raise and promotion at work. It's my job (well part of my job) to deliver better ratings for NASCAR.
Well, what have you done to be more successful, or even less successful?

You're doing something right, because NASCAR is my #2 favorite sport right now.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:43 PM   #28
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Well, a big thing is treating NASCAR like a 7 day a week sport. Which is why there is a daily studio show. Also such things as the aforementioned "cut away car" and other features to educate fans, not to mention the Icons you see during races designed to drive (no pun intended) people to ESPN.com to learn more about various aspects of NASCAR. There is a big effort to expand the reach beyond just television, and into radio, magazine, internet, etc.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:50 PM   #29
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
I'm seriously putting effort into trying to follow Nascar. The only problem is I'm not educated at ALL.

I freaking grew up in Frederick, MD. For those of you not familiar, we're known in Maryland as "Fredneck". There are Nascar fans everywhere you look. I just have never learned what makes Nascar so interesting. I've honestly tried watching, I've picked a driver (Stewart) and have failed to gain any sense of passion for the sport.
You just picked the wrong driver!

Quote:
I'm curious as to how anyone actually sits down and watches an entire race. I have textbook ADHD, and find it hard to sit down for a long period of time. How does one sit down and watch what's going on? Maybe all I need is someone that is interested to guide me through a race. Seriously, I kind of want to follow Nascar, I just have yet to be turned on by it.
I do other things while watching, like play on the internet, or play with my Nintendo DS or something like that. There is absolutely no need to focus 100% on the race. If you plan to do it 100%, then 3 or 4 hours of next to boredom occur. It's like watching Soccer. I do pay more attention than a lot of people cause I watch the small aspects of the sport, each pass is something that is calculated. A lot of people see just a pass (hell we do it every day on our way to work, what's the big deal right?) but in fact, it takes a lot to pass people in NASCAR. I used to think like you until I actually dove in with both feet and tried to put myself in their shoes. The fastest I have ever been in a car was around 160. You have no idea how fast that is until you go that fast. I regularly drive around 100-120 around these deserted highways out here, and you are MOVING...NASCAR travels at close to 200 all the time. They take corners at speeds we only dream about. They "get loose" at 190 MPH, and if we "got loose" at 75 MPH our hearts would leap out of our chests. Focus on that kind of stuff.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:59 PM   #30
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
That definitely holds true in the south! OMG, people here in the ATL worship college football and it was true further north in Nashville, TN (or at least until the Titans cranked up). The NFL is way less important than college ball here and it seems as if everything revolves around NCAA games.
To jump into this mini discussion that quake started...I am a Notre Dame fan (yeah, sucks this year), and I'll watch the games, but I won't watch Cal vs UCLA this weekend. I will only watch teams that don't matter to me if they have a direct relation to Notre Dame, which is basically very few. I did watch a couple games this year outside of the norm (LSU v Florida for instance) but that was because nothing else was on.
College football is in the hearts of young people that went or go to their colleges. The older fans will only follow their team, and if their team is not televised, then they will watch something else. There are what 120 NCAA Div. 1 teams? And there aer just as many NCAA Div 2 teams, and NAIA teams. There are 32 NFL teams. Every game is important, and there is always someone playing someone in your division to make it even more important. You can easily find a Redskins fan that is an NFL fan and will watch the Packers, or the Seahawks. Not to mention fantasy sports has opened the door to watch games you wouldn't normally watch.

I'd watch NASCAR any day of the week over any college football team.