Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Should NFL take on a lottery style draft?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-24-2007, 07:25 PM   #16
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Re: Should NFL take on a lottery style draft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
yeah, Boston fans have to be pretty ticked. They dropped to #5, yikes.
I think Red Auerbach must have sold the future soul of the Celtics to get all the Championships in the 60s - 80s. Think about the Celtics' woes after the 1986 Championship; Len Bias, Bird's back, Reggie Lewis, missing out on Tim Duncan, Danny Ainge as GM , and now this.

I've been a Celtics fan since the '70s and really enjoyed the Bird/Mchale/Chief years, but outside of the one playoff appearance in 2002 (i think) it can't get much worse.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-24-2007, 07:47 PM   #17
724Skinsfan
Playmaker

Can't say that I'm a fan of the proposal but since you did say "for the bottom five teams" then that probably wouldn't be all that earth-shattering. It won't fly but I like the originality of the thread, at least. You have been awarded 17 points.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:49 PM   #18
Rajmahal33
Special Teams

yea boston ppl have a lot to complain about what with the Pats and Red Sox. I mean I know the city was tormented in the past but we are in the present and they have had enuff success that boston fans don't need to be crying. They deserve to be screwed over for trying to tank their season also. It also proves that there is no conspiracy in the NBA draft b/c it would have been in the NBA's best interest to have those superstars end up in Boston, one of their cornerstone markets, rather than the middle of nowhere pacific northwest.

However, the system is flawed, it would be a disaster in the NFL with the amount of hype or conspiracy theories that would go around. Could u imagine if baltimore who finished 6-10 in 2005 got the #2 pick last year and got Vince Young or Reggie Bush. They would be unstoppable and it wouldn't be fair. The bball system is designed the way it is b/c even with an all-star like lebron james or someone it take a team a few years to turn a losing franchise around. Typically bad teams will stay bad unless they get a once in 5 years kinda superstar.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:43 PM   #19
GiantsSuck703

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajmahal33 View Post
yea boston ppl have a lot to complain about what with the Pats and Red Sox. I mean I know the city was tormented in the past but we are in the present and they have had enuff success that boston fans don't need to be crying. They deserve to be screwed over for trying to tank their season also. It also proves that there is no conspiracy in the NBA draft b/c it would have been in the NBA's best interest to have those superstars end up in Boston, one of their cornerstone markets, rather than the middle of nowhere pacific northwest.

However, the system is flawed, it would be a disaster in the NFL with the amount of hype or conspiracy theories that would go around. Could u imagine if baltimore who finished 6-10 in 2005 got the #2 pick last year and got Vince Young or Reggie Bush. They would be unstoppable and it wouldn't be fair. The bball system is designed the way it is b/c even with an all-star like lebron james or someone it take a team a few years to turn a losing franchise around. Typically bad teams will stay bad unless they get a once in 5 years kinda superstar.
I agree with everything except the unstoppable comment, no matter how good you are in the NFL, no team is unstoppable, evidenced by the Dolphins beating the Bears last year.
GiantsSuck703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 09:18 PM   #20
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
yeah, Boston fans have to be pretty ticked. They dropped to #5, yikes.

Since the lottery was implemented in the NBA has the Celtics ever had the #1 pick?
Old 05-24-2007, 09:55 PM   #21
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo395 View Post
No the crappy teams need all the help they can get.

i would never want to see this happen

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:18 PM   #22
FRPLG
MVP

What is dumb about the NBA's lottery is the amount of teams they allow into it. In any given year there are at most 2 players worth tanking for. The rest of the players are pieces who'll go where they fit. The NBA should reduce the lottery to 5 teams. Give the teams proportional ping pong balls to losses.

The
1st worst record gets 10 for every loss
2nd worst record gets 7 for every loss
3rd worst record gets 5 for every loss
4th worst record gets 3 for every loss
5th worst record gets 1 for every loss

Then pick the top 2 positions. The worst team can fall at most 2 spots and has a propotionally better chance than the 5th worst team. Not just a predetermined proportion but a loss adjusted proportion. That way if one team is far worse than the others they get a better chance at the top pick.

Example:

25-57 gets 570 giving them 40.45%
27-55 gets 385 giving them 27.32%
31-51 gets 255 giving them 18.10%
32-50 gets 150 giving them 10.65%
33-49 gets 49 giving them 3.48%

The only problem I see with this is that it still rewards tanking. As long as the odds are weighted I don't see how they can ever reduce the motivation to tank really. But on the other hand it would be totally unfair to weight everyone the same. In the above example why should the team who won 8 more games have the same shot at the first pick? The worst team didn't tank out of 8 games. At worst they lost 3 or 4 games they might have won if they had tried.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:19 PM   #23
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
Since the lottery was implemented in the NBA has the Celtics ever had the #1 pick?
No but they did have the #2 in '86 which was the Len Bias pick. I think the curse on that franchise started right there.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:24 PM   #24
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
What is dumb about the NBA's lottery is the amount of teams they allow into it. In any given year there are at most 2 players worth tanking for. The rest of the players are pieces who'll go where they fit. The NBA should reduce the lottery to 5 teams. Give the teams proportional ping pong balls to losses.

The

Then pick the top 2 positions. The worst team can fall at most 2 spots and has a propotionally better chance than the 5th worst team. Not just a predetermined proportion but a loss adjusted proportion. That way if one team is far worse than the others they get a better chance at the top pick.

Example:

The only problem I see with this is that it still rewards tanking. As long as the odds are weighted I don't see how they can ever reduce the motivation to tank really. But on the other hand it would be totally unfair to weight everyone the same. In the above example why should the team who won 8 more games have the same shot at the first pick? The worst team didn't tank out of 8 games. At worst they lost 3 or 4 games they might have won if they had tried.

i hate the nba draft lottery

Old 05-25-2007, 08:35 AM   #25
SC Skins Fan
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post

The

Example:

Seems pretty sensible, is that original? Pass it along to David Stern.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:55 AM   #26
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Just some food for thought, imagine the Patriots got to draft Calvin Johnson this year. I don't think I'd be too happy about that.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:02 AM   #27
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
Just some food for thought, imagine the Patriots got to draft Calvin Johnson this year. I don't think I'd be too happy about that.

i dont think anyone would be happy with that

Old 05-25-2007, 11:11 AM   #28
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Don't fix it, if it isn't broke.
The NFL has success far beyond what the other sports have. They have figured out what works. They still have things that need fixing. Maybe the biggest challenge is to know when to leave things alone
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 11:33 AM   #29
MonkFan4Life
The Starter

No the lottery system stinks. The only thing I suggest the NFL do as someone did earlier, implement a salary cap for rookies. That means less hold outs, the contracts that some NFL rookies get are ludicrous. I'm all for getting what you can while you can but I think they should have some kind of cap for rookies coming into the league. That way you know what you're going to get or at least what you can get, things would go by a lot smoother I would think.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DowntimeRB?feature=mhw5

The "punishment" by the league : "It's like getting a ticket for going too fast on a road a week ago and they changed the speed limit today"
MonkFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 11:34 AM   #30
MTK
\m/

The question is why would the NFL want a lottery system??