Offseason after thoughts... the potential wisdom of the Redskins offseason

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-25-2005, 12:57 PM   #16
memphisskin
Impact Rookie

Re: Offseason after thoughts... the potential wisdom of the Redskins offseason

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown
I agree totaly. We had to either get a QB through free agency which would probaly be costly or through the draft. I won't agrue that the lost draft picks were a little to much but I do feel it was a move we had to make. If Ramsey does not step up his performace this year how would we have obtain a QB next year with the cap problems. The answer is a a late 1st round pick at a price that won't hurt the team. I think that none of use realy thought about drafting a QB when we have Ramsey, Brunell and just signed Hasselback.
If our only problem last year was quarterback, then I'd say it was a fantastic pick. I liked Campbell at Auburn, I remember him scrambling around and finding guys down the field. He's got a good arm and can move around.

To draft a qb this year, because there might be a problem next year is ok, but how about using that pick to address a problem that we do have now. How is drafting a quarterback going to help improve our 30th ranked offense?

And about Gibbs not liking Ramsey, I agree with Tony Kornheiser. I want us to win now, I think we can win now, but Gibbs obviously is in it for the long haul. Ramsey, unless he can show something this year, won't be.
memphisskin is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-25-2005, 01:19 PM   #17
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65
The only problem I have with the whole in Gibbs we trust movement is that we trusted him on Brunell and it turned out we were right, not him. Now when I consider the arguments on espn suggesting that Campbell was at best a second round pick, and further consider what we gave up to give him, I have trouble sharing in this optimism. I know you guys only like posts that are overtly positive, but that's how I feel.
We may have been right about Brunell, but how many people were like "Here we go again." with the signings of Griffin and Springs? Brunell turned out to be a complete bust. Lesson learned. Now, (barring the complete SHUNNING of the Redskins from Pro Bowl votes) Griffin AND Springs should have been laughing all the way to starting for the NFC in the Pro Bowl. Gibbs is fallable, but he made some EXCELLENT pick-ups in Griffin and Springs.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:23 PM   #18
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisskin
If our only problem last year was quarterback, then I'd say it was a fantastic pick. I liked Campbell at Auburn, I remember him scrambling around and finding guys down the field. He's got a good arm and can move around.

To draft a qb this year, because there might be a problem next year is ok, but how about using that pick to address a problem that we do have now. How is drafting a quarterback going to help improve our 30th ranked offense?

And about Gibbs not liking Ramsey, I agree with Tony Kornheiser. I want us to win now, I think we can win now, but Gibbs obviously is in it for the long haul. Ramsey, unless he can show something this year, won't be.
That is my point we have to be ready if Ramsey cannot step up his game. If Ramsey is performing porley next year I would not be surprised if Camble did not see action somewhere around week 11 or 12. Its all up to Ramsey this year to show he belongs and we know Gibbs will give him plenty of time after how long he left Brunell in. Gibbs must feel that our WR's are not an area of need.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 04:55 PM   #19
EternalEnigma21
Assistant Regional Mod

Last year a lot of other teams wouldve killed to have the recievers we had on the roster, before they saw what they produced over the season. Look at the pats, can you even tell me who their #1 guy is... (patten, givens, brown). Not one of those guys has the athletic ability that coles has, but all of them got more tds last year. Hell brown got more defensive points than coles did on offense. We had the recieving corps to put up big numbers last year.

Ramsey is just taking a long time to develop. His relief games he turns the ball over like he was wearing a blindfold. Later in the season he worked on his turnovers and improved immensely, but at a cost of missing reads downfield. How many highlights did we have to sit through where we had to get like 15yds for a first, and we had recievers in route, and no pressure, but he makes the sure completion five yards up the field in a swarm of defenders where we have no shot of making the first. Thats where we lost a lot of production, and why his efficiency rating went down. However, he showed some real spark in some games and that cant be overlooked.

The second game against the giants (the same team that picked him off 3 times in one half) he looked like a machine driving down the field. Even against the Cowboys he was beating the hell out of them with the short passes. I believe Ramsey will step up and lead this team, but god forbid he gets hurt, at least we have a glimmer of hope in a talented backup.
EternalEnigma21 is offline   Reply With Quote