Yeah did that too. That was actually the first thing we did

Advertisements
Old 05-09-2012, 01:39 AM   #17
VegasSkinsFan
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Yeah did that too. That was actually the first thing we did
Might want to check you water hardness if by chance your on well water. I ran into the same problem and it turned out to be sediment that had collected. Put in a water softener and havn't had any issues since.
VegasSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:58 AM   #18
724Skinsfan
Playmaker

Re: The Home Repairs Thread

Remove the dishwasher entirely, replace with more cabinets and hand wash your dishes. You'll never have problems with your dishwasher ever again.... unless she gives you some sass.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #19
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
best advice of the thread, this is the most over looked problem and a super easy fixed for non draining dishwasher and washing machines. it's best to clean both of these filters out about twice a year but let's get real. if you have not done this yet try this.

if it keeps f-ing up just get one off c-list or buy a new one and save yourself some money and install it yourself. it's not too tough and you could knock it out in a day easy.

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #20
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Sometimes they just get old and suck better to replace it now then have it really crap the bed on you and now you are replacing it your subfloor and anything else below it.

Worst thing is to let keep going even if it is leaking a little; then you got a mold problem.

Water and fire two things that will destroy your house in a heartbeat.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #21
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 724Skinsfan View Post
Remove the dishwasher entirely, replace with more cabinets and hand wash your dishes. You'll never have problems with your dishwasher ever again.... unless she gives you some sass.

Ha...love it.

Also, a 4-legged garbage disposal is the most effective kind to use.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #22
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
best advice of the thread, this is the most over looked problem and a super easy fixed for non draining dishwasher and washing machines. it's best to clean both of these filters out about twice a year but let's get real. if you have not done this yet try this.

if it keeps f-ing up just get one off c-list or buy a new one and save yourself some money and install it yourself. it's not too tough and you could knock it out in a day easy.
I never knew about this step. I'm going to do mine...never did it!

Maybe I can put off buying a new one a bit longer.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #23
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
Ha...love it.

Also, a 4-legged garbage disposal is the most effective kind to use.
So true I go to other folks houses that don't have dogs and when my 4 year old drops some some food I am like damn now I actually have to clean it up.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #24
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Might be a little off-topic but I just spotted this ad on my local CL.

Chest freezer - make offer
Quote:
Chest freezer - make offer (York PA)

Just moved into a house and they left behind a chest freezer in the garage that obviously had something in it. I bombed the garage to kill all of the flies and my son opened the freezer when we bombed. I made him go back in and close it because the smell was nauseous!! So if you know how to get the spoiled food smell out of it and would like it - I'll post pics tomorrow. Make me any offer whatsoever and come and pick it up and it's yours!!
Old 05-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #25
firstdown
Living Legend

I'm guessing that your drain gets a little clogged and your DW backs up and leaks around the door gasket. Next time it happens check to see how the water drains in your sink.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #26
Monkeydad
Living Legend

I looked in the manual to my dishwasher last night and it mentioned another cause of leaks is if your sink has a air gap plumbed in that it needs to be cleared. If clogged, it can cause the water to flow back into the dishwasher that will then back up and leak. Not every sink has one though. It's usually a cover on the back of your sink.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:33 AM   #27
mlmpetert
Playmaker

I was gonna post this in the global warming thread to go along with my garden stuff but it might fit better here, particularly after seeing buster’s diagram above. This is probably a good question for a plumber, contractor, civil engineer or physicist.

In Richmond city you get a tax credit if you have a rain barrel that diverts 50% of your roof water (also rain barrels save on watering costs and are good for the earth and all that stuff…..). The problem is I have no good spot to put one that can capture 50% of my roof water without making it ugly, less functional and cost prohibitive.

Unless I bottom fill the rain barrel:

So my question is does the “overflow” have to be higher than the diverter?

If you top fill a rain barrel you can get diverters that shut off once the barrel is full and resume sending water through the gutter downspout. So in the youttube example if the overflow line was higher than the diverter would the barrel simply not fill? Or would it fill to the height of the diverter then back up the diverter line and into the downspout?

Ive looked on the internet pretty good for answers. Im wondering if you bottom fill, do you become forced into using the overflow as your new downspout, ie water always fills the rain barrel then goes out the overflow when in use. That there is effectively no operational shut off in the diverter (regardless of what diverter used)?
Old 05-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #28
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Plumbing Tips Its All About the Butt Crack - YouTube

This has always been one the best tips videos that I have come across in regards to plumbing.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:17 AM   #29
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
I was gonna post this in the global warming thread to go along with my garden stuff but it might fit better here, particularly after seeing buster’s diagram above. This is probably a good question for a plumber, contractor, civil engineer or physicist.

In Richmond city you get a tax credit if you have a rain barrel that diverts 50% of your roof water (also rain barrels save on watering costs and are good for the earth and all that stuff…..). The problem is I have no good spot to put one that can capture 50% of my roof water without making it ugly, less functional and cost prohibitive.

Unless I bottom fill the rain barrel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdg6Jwxb9bM

So my question is does the “overflow” have to be higher than the diverter?

If you top fill a rain barrel you can get diverters that shut off once the barrel is full and resume sending water through the gutter downspout. So in the youttube example if the overflow line was higher than the diverter would the barrel simply not fill? Or would it fill to the height of the diverter then back up the diverter line and into the downspout?

Ive looked on the internet pretty good for answers. Im wondering if you bottom fill, do you become forced into using the overflow as your new downspout, ie water always fills the rain barrel then goes out the overflow when in use. That there is effectively no operational shut off in the diverter (regardless of what diverter used)?

That's how the system she has seems to work. I bet the city could tell you how big of a container you need to receive the tax credit. There is no way they can require you to conatain 50% of the rain fall on your roof. I'm guessing they require that 50% of the roof runs into a rain barrel of a certain size. The reason I think this is because what happens when we have a very heavy rain?
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #30
Monkeydad
Living Legend

My turn. Estate washer made by Whirlpool:

Never had an issue with it until last night. It filled up with water but won't go to the next cycle to agitate/spin. It also will not drain. I checked the breaker first because it wasn't doing anything at all, it was fine. After resetting, it will produce a clicking sound with an occasional straining sound but won't start spinning on any setting. Turned the knob to rinse to get it to spin and drain, no luck. I'll have to shopvac the water out but does anyone have an idea before I just replace it? My first inclinations are the timer switch that activates when you close the lid, or something motor-related like a motor coupling, not he entire motor though. I do not think this washer has a belt system.