Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-18-2011, 01:47 PM   #16
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Re: QB needy teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Beck is better than Henne IMO, have u seen that guy play? LOL
My main point was about getting a caretaker QB. It doesn't have to be Henne.

But as to your point, we'll see.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-18-2011, 01:48 PM   #17
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Beck is better than Henne IMO, have u seen that guy play? LOL
You're wrong, and I don't think its that close.

John Beck is what he is. His best shot at holding on as a backup is to stay in Washington with the Shanahans. Who aren't convinced he's a better option than Rex Grossman.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:50 PM   #18
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

All I know is when we ACTUALLY have a QB I'll be the happiest guy ever.. In my 20 years of being a Skins fan we have never had a Guy to call FRANCHISE. The only QB jersey I ever had was a damn Shuler jersey.. Thanks A lot mom
Old 10-18-2011, 01:51 PM   #19
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
You're wrong, and I don't think its that close.

John Beck is what he is. His best shot at holding on as a backup is to stay in Washington with the Shanahans. Who aren't convinced he's a better option than Rex Grossman.
Haven't seen enough of Beck so we will see and Henne is not any good at all. Guys like Jason Campbell and Alex Smith are better
Old 10-18-2011, 01:51 PM   #20
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Now that we're 6 weeks into the season and we have an ok idea of who the bad teams are and who the good teams are, lets take a look at who might be interested in upgrading at quarterback next year. I'll start by listing all the teams with losing or .500 records at this point.

Winless
Colts - we can already assume if they end up with the first shot at Luck, they'll take him. And even if he isn't available, they might pick a qb anyways. So yes, they'll prob. look at qbs in the draft this year.
Rams - No, def. wouldn't take a qb.
Dolphins - yes, definitely would be interested in a qb. With a new head coach probably on his way in he'd def. want a qb he could mold in his image.

1 win teams -
Jags - no, don't think they'd take a qb. Too many holes on that team, even if they did think there was a qb out there better than Gabbert, which is doubtful.
Vikings - again, same thing here. Too many holes, already have Ponder, probably going to stick with him especially if he flashes potential for the rest of the season.
Panthers - nope. Need defensive help more than anything.
Broncos - hard call here. I don't think Fox likes Tebow but if Tebow plays well for the rest of the season it'd be hard to see them going qb here, especially since the rest of the team needs help.
Cards - another tough call. Kolb obviously isn't working out, and I have no idea if Whisenhunt is on a short leash or not. I'll say possibly.

2 win teams -
Chiefs - Haley looks like a lame duck coach, but they might keep him if he turns it around. Cassel hasn't played nearly as good this year as he did last year, so if a new coach comes in he might want a new qb. Possibly for this team too.
Browns - idk, tough call here. I don't know too much about how Shurmur and Holmgren feel about McCoy. Possibly?
Seahawks - I think we can all assume if they were in position to take an elite qb, they'd take him. Especially with Carroll's connections to a guy like Matt Barkley.
Cowboys - idk here either. Doubtful, but you never know. Another up and down year for Romo, or another crushing playoff loss, and they just might go younger. Again, doubtful imo, but it's hard to get a read here.
Eagles - do I really need to include them? I think they'll get things on the right track this season, because of their season saving win last week (thanks again, Skins), and they'd probably be wiser to invest in offensive line or linebackers. Vick has played up and down ball this year but he's the least of their problems.

.500 teams
Falcons - no. Just no.
Texans - maybe? Schaub certainly isn't their biggest problem. Doubtful but you never know, especially if Kubiak is let go if they go on a downward spiral from here on out.
Jets - The Sanchize certainly hasn't played up to his draft status this year, but doubtful here too.
Bears - nah, don't see it happening. QB isn't a need.

So I'll sum it up now.

Teams that need qbs:
Colts, Dolphins

Possibly:
Broncos, Cardinals, Chiefs, Browns, Seahawks

Possibly, but doubtful:
Cowboys, Texans

Leaning toward a heavy no:
Rams, Jaguars, Vikings, Panthers, Eagles, Falcons, Jets, Bears.

This is a very preliminary list, obviously there's 11 weeks left to go, anything can happen, some qb's will play poorly, some will fall out of favor, etc. But some of these qb holes will be filled through free agency, some through trades, and some through the draft. I'm definitely in favor of giving up a few picks if it means we get our guy for the next decade. But I think we should definitely go the draft route. I think I'll bump this thread once the season is over and we have a much more clear idea of draft order and who might want a qb.

Last edited by mooby; 10-18-2011 at 02:02 PM.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:03 PM   #21
skinster
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
The QB market is going to flood next year, in part because it was so weak this year that we inflated the stock of guys like Kaepernick, Dalton, Locker, etc. Newton and Gabbert would have been no. 1s in any year, but the rest of the draft got inflated. And because those guys are all still high picks, the fact that Campbell, Henne, Orton, Flynn, Hanie, etc are all going to be free agents and that the 2012 QB draft class is one of the strongest in recent memory.

So anyone who needs a quarterback can one way cheaper than in 2010 or 2011. In other words, Beck v Grossman is not relevant.
I don't think its about getting a qb, but getting the right qb. We don't need another Jason Campbell, who is good enough to start somewhere, we need a guy that will put us in a position to win any game given that he has a respectable supporting cast. Using even a 4th rounder on the next Jason Campbell is a waste IMO, idc that he is one of the 32 best qbs in the league, he's not good enough to get the job done.

Getting good value for a starting material qb doesn't mean anything if the qb can't win his team games. The point of this thread isn't to examine if we can get "someone" to play qb for us, but rather if we are able to get the right guy to play qb for us. Unless there are 4 guys in this class that can do it, or someone slips through the cracks, I just don't see it happening.

I'd honestly say half the league does not have the qb that is needed to be able to be a legitimate candidate for a superbowl. Im going to be generous to what I really think and say that there are only roughly 15 guys capable of bringing home their team the lombardi in any given year. Over half of them are taken in the top third of the draft. Another portion are guys that nobody expected to do well. That leaves slim odds that a guy will be there where we are targeting a franchise qb. I've never seen a year where 4 highly touted qbs panned out and I'd say that there are 3 teams that will pick before us that will take a qb. I'd say we just need to get lucky to get one this year, hope to god one slips through the cracks either through teams passing on a guy or by us finding a diamond in the rough.
skinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #22
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinster View Post
I don't think its about getting a qb, but getting the right qb. We don't need another Jason Campbell, who is good enough to start somewhere, we need a guy that will put us in a position to win any game given that he has a respectable supporting cast. Using even a 4th rounder on the next Jason Campbell is a waste IMO, idc that he is one of the 32 best qbs in the league, he's not good enough to get the job done.

Getting good value for a starting material qb doesn't mean anything if the qb can't win his team games. The point of this thread isn't to examine if we can get "someone" to play qb for us, but rather if we are able to get the right guy to play qb for us. Unless there are 4 guys in this class that can do it, or someone slips through the cracks, I just don't see it happening.

I'd honestly say half the league does not have the qb that is needed to be able to be a legitimate candidate for a superbowl. Im going to be generous to what I really think and say that there are only roughly 15 guys capable of bringing home their team the lombardi in any given year. Over half of them are taken in the top third of the draft. Another portion are guys that nobody expected to do well. That leaves slim odds that a guy will be there where we are targeting a franchise qb. I've never seen a year where 4 highly touted qbs panned out and I'd say that there are 3 teams that will pick before us that will take a qb. I'd say we just need to get lucky to get one this year, hope to god one slips through the cracks either through teams passing on a guy or by us finding a diamond in the rough.
When you say that half the league doesn't have a super bowl QB, I think you need to be more specific. Our opinion of QBs changes too violently to say that theres a "can do" group and a "can't do" group. Just look at the Romo debate. There are people out there who think he's a "can never win" guy. But he's better than at least 24 starters in the NFL. So you can't draw a line beyond the top five without taking an opinion on Romo first. And then what do you do with Big Ben, who isn't as good as Romo, but who has won two? My point: you can't make a "can win" and "can't win" group based on quarterbacks and look smart three years from now. Where would you put Matt Ryan or Sam Bradford? Much less a guy like Tebow.

You shouldn't build the QB position any differently than any other position. You just need to find the best guy for what you are trying to do in any given year. Now, if you get it right? Everyone will say that you have a "top ten QB." Now, understand that people in the media (Deion Sanders/Michael Irvin) we're saying seven days ago that the Redskins had the best QB in the division in Rex Grossman. Understanding that they were a bit inaccurate in their assessment, how can we be so smart about drafting/developing QBs if an honest argument can be made that Grossman is outpacing the rest of the division in production, including one guy who already has a super bowl.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:20 PM   #23
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Haven't seen enough of Beck so we will see and Henne is not any good at all. Guys like Jason Campbell and Alex Smith are better
But Henne's been better than Sanchez in every year of their careers to date. Should we not expect that to continue after he escapes Miami?
Old 10-18-2011, 02:27 PM   #24
MTK
\m/

Henne is a guy worth looking at. He's been stuck on some bad offenses.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:34 PM   #25
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Well Rex is definitely (I think) gone after this year, and Beck likely returns. The past two years I've heard that we're taking a QB high (1st or 2nd round). Extenuating circumstances have kept that from happening...but of course, I'm hearing it again.

We can't go another year with drafting at least one QB in my opinion.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:40 PM   #26
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Henne is a guy worth looking at. He's been stuck on some bad offenses.
Yeah im a Henne sympathizer. Im not sure what type of offense he would be suited for our type of offense by the guy does have skills and has shown he can overcome some pretty crappy situtations.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:06 PM   #27
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Yeah im a Henne sympathizer. Im not sure what type of offense he would be suited for our type of offense by the guy does have skills and has shown he can overcome some pretty crappy situtations.
Just on the surface he seems like a possible fit. He's athletic and mobile, big arm, hard working guy, etc.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:19 PM   #28
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I didn't think about Flynn, I would trade our 2nd and extra 4th for him in a heartbeat. I know the payday is big as well, but he has proven pretty good, and is ready to step in. I probably would go higher on the compensation as well, but would have to know where we fall in the draft.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:21 PM   #29
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

So lets say Denver does want to draft a new QB.
Would you trade Orakpo for Tebow?

(not my idea but it got my attention when I first heard it)
Old 10-18-2011, 03:24 PM   #30
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Walton View Post
So lets say Denver does want to draft a new QB.
Would you trade Orakpo for Tebow?

(not my idea but it got my attention when I first heard it)
Worst idea ever.