Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

McNabb says black QBs criticized more

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-18-2007, 01:36 PM   #16
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Re: And now I don't care about McNabb...

I see McNabb leaving Philly next year for Chicago or Atlanta (my bets on Chicago).
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-18-2007, 01:38 PM   #17
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
The race issue was not "thrust" upon Donovan, he's been using that excuse and story since he's been in the league. I have to think that his racial and paranoid look at the world comes from his father. Remember during the Owens/McNabb catfight when his father came on TV and called Owens' criticism of his son's play "black-on-black crime"? That's ridiculous. He has always spoken about himself as a black QB instead of just a QB. The people who claim to be victims are actually the people keeping the racial divide alive, people like Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, the NAACP and yes, even McNabb every time he whines about being a victim.

You never hear Jason Campbell segregate himself or mention his skin color, all he talks about is trying to help his teammates win. That's class. Even Doug Williams became tired of all of the focus on his skin color, as he should've been.

McNabb's latest crying fit on HBO, claiming he's criticized because he is black is just STUPID. First, Philly will boo everyone and anyone, even Santa Claus or someone singing the Nation Anthem. Secondly, they're not booing him because he's black, just look at his stats and his health record. He's not the QB he used to be and they're realizing that they'll never make another Super Bowl with him. His stats put him at the bottom of the league this season. Even mediocre and backup QBs have better stats than him. As seen last night, he can't get the job done any more. He can't run. He can't hit receivers accurately. He can't win for the team anymore.

If it was a racial issue, Rex Grossman would be praised constantly and no one would like Tiger Woods.

Shut up Donovan. We're sick of you.

Oh...
What Did McNabb Mean?

Couldn't have said it better myself. I concur with everything you said here. Especially what you said about Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. The issue of race has made both of these men VERY VERY rich. As long as they can keep racism alive, they will keep getting paid millions.
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:02 PM   #18
#56fanatic
The Starter

what was it that Rush Limbaugh said that got him fired? I know it was about McNabb, but isn't what McNabb is saying convenient or OK for him, but somehow got Limbaugh fired. I dont recall what RL said, but maybe someone here can remember.
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:16 PM   #19
steveo395
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by #56fanatic View Post
what was it that Rush Limbaugh said that got him fired? I know it was about McNabb, but isn't what McNabb is saying convenient or OK for him, but somehow got Limbaugh fired. I dont recall what RL said, but maybe someone here can remember.
Didn't he say that the media was afraid to criticize him because he was black or something like that

steveo395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:25 PM   #20
70Chip
Playmaker

I don't know what Donovan is talking about. Last night he played like shit and the announcers were still blaming his receivers and offering numerous other excuses for his awful play. Then they put Charles Barkley on to basically say the Philly fans are ungrateful and that Donovan is great, blah, blah, blah,time to turn the sound down. The media that cover the NFL love Donovan for some reason. I don't think it's because of race. I don't think it's because of anything he's done on the field. Maybe it's because he reminds them of Will Smith. I have no idea. But for him to claim he's being treated unfairly is ludicrous.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:27 PM   #21
steveo395
The Starter

Here is what Limbaugh said. It wasn't even that bad.

Quote:
"I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well,'' Limbaugh said. "There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."
ESPN.com: GEN - Limbaugh resigns from ESPN

steveo395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:36 PM   #22
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I don't agree with McNabb and I'm black. He gets a lot of media kissing his butt. The bottom line is he is not as good as Manning, Palmer and Brady. But when he is healthy, he is in the next tier.
As a QB he lead is team to 4 consecutive NFC Championship games and a Super Bowl, that is top tier QB.

Still, I can't understand why he thinks he is criticized more because he is black...it's the god damn NFL. You will be trounced in the media if you don't perform (i.e. Eli, Chad Pen.). What an idiot. His days are numbered.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:46 PM   #23
dgack
The Starter

Quote:
Judge by merits, not skin color. Most people who preach "Unity" and "Diversity" are the people keeping race in front of everyone and are actually causing more of a separation and racial divide. I believe MOST people think about results more than race when it comes to sports, employment, anything else. But, when you are forced to look at skin colors to fulfill some artificial quota, it brings race to the forefront in your mind and in your daily life when it probably would've been overlooked before.
You'd actually be wrong in the sense that it's been proven pretty clearly that while most people *believe* they don't see race, age, sex when they look at someone, the fact is that there are all kinds of inherent and built-up unconscious biases that distort that stated desire to be objective.

There are online tests you can take which reveal this, and I must warn you that it's somewhat uncomfortable to realize you are not nearly as unbiased as you'd like to think you are. The important thing to realize is that the mechanisms that create these biases are in most cases not something a person has consciously chosen. They have to do with media, cultural biases, pressure to fit within perceived societal norms, etc.

If you all are interested in links, I can dig some up. I recommend the book "Blink" if you're really curious, it's a great read.

The takeaway for me in all of this is that Donovan is probably correct to a certain degree that there are biases that affect a typical NFL fan's mind with regards to a black quarterback. However, he doesn't address the fact that those same biases might affect a typical NFL fan's mind with regards to a white running back or (as others here have pointed out) a speedy white receiver (White Lightning, as it were).

And, realistically the problem with him bringing this up is that he's doing so from a position of weakness in a city known for eating its young and beloved if they falter. Had he made these comments right after winning the NFC championship or Super Bowl, or in another context, they might not seem like cop-outs.

I think the paraphrasing quote from Doug Williams was the best thing in this thread. While everyone has biases, and sometimes those biases affect views and decisions, most folks don't consciously choose to consider a player's race until it's shoved in their face.

Choosing to allow yourself to be defined by the color of your skin can only limit you in what you can accomplish and how you're perceived. Ever notice how nobody really focuses on the fact Tiger Woods' ethnicity anymore, despite the fact that golf is basically an old white man's game? It's because he refuses to allow that to define him.
"To bring a Sherm Lewis in to a Jim Zorn and whoever his offensive coordinator is, it's like bringing in another man to help teach you how to make better love to your wife or something." -- Tre Johnson
dgack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:29 PM   #24
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by #56fanatic View Post
He didn't say anything about McNabb. He was talking about the media and their propping up of certain individuals LIKE McNabb even when they're not statistically because they want to a black QB to succeed.

THEN, the media jumped on him and caused him a racist to get him fired because he criticized them.

Even if you don't like him, you have to admit he's right. Look at baseball with the constant Latino celebrations. Take the HR derby a few years ago, they chose Latino hitters only from different Latin American countries instead of taking the best hitters who would put on the best show.

Pro sports and the media (especially ESPN) always make race into stories to promote certain athletes.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:30 PM   #25
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
As a QB he lead is team to 4 consecutive NFC Championship games and a Super Bowl, that is top tier QB.
No, he WAS a top-tier QB. He's not anymore and if the team needs to make a move, they should.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:37 PM   #26
Cowell
Impact Rookie

I agree if McNabb doesn't shape up in the next couple weeks I think they should try there hand at their rookie QB Kolb.
Cowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:15 PM   #27
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Pro sports and the media (especially ESPN) always make race into stories to promote certain athletes.
I know it's cool to bash ESPN, but you really have no basis for what you just said there. ESPN doesn't make race into stories. That's not even debatable.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:43 PM   #28
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
No, he WAS a top-tier QB. He's not anymore and if the team needs to make a move, they should.
Philly would be stupid to make a move on a top tier guy when he is healthy. He should get next year and they need to get the guy some help at wr. Kolb is going to have to wait a few years.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:52 PM   #29
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
He didn't say anything about McNabb. He was talking about the media and their propping up of certain individuals LIKE McNabb even when they're not statistically because they want to a black QB to succeed.

THEN, the media jumped on him and caused him a racist to get him fired because he criticized them.

Even if you don't like him, you have to admit he's right. Look at baseball with the constant Latino celebrations. Take the HR derby a few years ago, they chose Latino hitters only from different Latin American countries instead of taking the best hitters who would put on the best show.

But Rush' comments were wrong. He basically said that McNabb was overrated and the defense carried the team. That is just a ridicules statement. He got his team to 3 or 4 straight NFC Champ. games and a SB??? With average to below WR's ??? C'mon! If Jason Campbell does that we all would be kisssing his ass too.

McNabb has thrown waaaaaaay more TD's then Int's. Without question when he is healthy he is a very very good NFL qb. Just ask NFL defensive coordinators. I doubt they would say he is overrated.

I did not have a problem with Rush saying the media wants blacks to do well. If he feels that way fine. Just back it up with an accurate statement. In this case it was simply not accurate.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:58 PM   #30
WillH
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
But Rush' comments were wrong. He basically said that McNabb was overrated and the defense carried the team. That is just a ridicules statement. He got his team to 3 or 4 straight NFC Champ. games and a SB??? With average to below WR's ??? C'mon! If Jason Campbell does that we all would be kisssing his ass too.

McNabb has thrown waaaaaaay more TD's then Int's. Without question when he is healthy he is a very very good NFL qb. Just ask NFL defensive coordinators. I doubt they would say he is overrated.

I did not have a problem with Rush saying the media wants blacks to do well. If he feels that way fine. Just back it up with an accurate statement. In this case it was simply not accurate.
Good points here, I was a little bewildered reading through the thread and seeing so many people defend Rush. Im not saying he should have been fired for his comment, but it was definitely not accurate, and in my opinion in bad taste.

That said, McNabbs comments are just as tasteless and demeaning, if not more so.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote