Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Clarett runs a 4.82 40

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: What is Clarett's NFL Future?
None 6 11.76%
Inconsequential Role Player 28 54.90%
Solid Starter 11 21.57%
All-Pro 4 7.84%
Canton! 2 3.92%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2005, 01:16 AM   #16
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Clarett runs a 4.82 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
don't forget Coles
and sportscurmudgeon!

Advertisements
Old 02-27-2005, 02:16 AM   #17
aehs77
Special Teams

jesus i run a 4.8
aehs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 03:05 AM   #18
offiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
LOL he could have ran over 5.0 and he'd still be daseal's boy!

Don't forget me! this kid can't be judged on what he does at the combine he's not that kind of player, whoever takes him will have a heck of a back. he's a football player not a track star, personally I can't believe he's running in the 4.8 range back in the day I could run faster than that, I watched him run he didn't look that slow, he does look very powerful though big leg's and knee's his lower body look's better now than it did in college, I think the extra muscle hurt his combine number's and being out of football for 2 year's didn't help either, but it will help him at the next level.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 09:28 AM   #19
jdlea
Playmaker

Beasts in the NFL? Suggs got supplanted by William Green again and again last season. He doesn't even start on a consistent basis. And we don't know what the hell Taylor Jacobs is.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 09:38 AM   #20
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

jdlea, you're thinking of Lee Suggs. Daseal was talking about Terrell Suggs
Old 02-27-2005, 09:45 AM   #21
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
How many players run bad 40 times at the combine - yet become beasts in the NFL. Terrell Suggs, our own Taylor Jacobs dropped out of being a mid-first round pick to an early 2nd pick with a sad showing at the combine. I still would take Clarett over Betts any day!
I agree with Daseal. A players 40 time and this whole combine is the biggest load of shit. Remember Trung Canidate!
The combine results and 40 time does not determine if you are going to be a great football player. Another player who dropped in the draft because of a bad 40 time at the combine is none other than the all time leading rusher in the NFL Emmit Smith. He ran something like a 4.6 and 4.7. Some guys are faster during a game, when the old adrenaline is pumping. Put the fear of getting hit by a huge LB and some guys run faster.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 10:18 AM   #22
MTK
\m/

I agree 40 times are pretty worthless, but, there's no denying this is going to hurt his draft day stock.

For a player that has his share of concerns in most teams eyes, this was the last thing he needed.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:28 AM   #23
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Emmitt, Trung, Jacobs etc. might have had bad 40 times but how many sat out the rest of the combine drills frustrated by their poor 40 times like Clarett did on Saturday?
Old 02-27-2005, 10:39 AM   #24
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smootsmack
Emmitt, Trung, Jacobs etc. might have had bad 40 times but how many sat out the rest of the combine drills frustrated by their poor 40 times like Clarett did on Saturday?
exactly. that's going to be the more telling point to all of the coaches and scouts in attendance there.

and what's up with elton brown of uva pulling out of the combine? I've honestly never heard of o-lineman having personal workouts for scouts but i guess that's what he's planning.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 11:40 AM   #25
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Yeah - Terrell Suggs was a top 5 pick that slipped to the Ravens around 13-17ish area because of a defensive end's 40 time (granted everyone who was eyeing him wanted to move him to LB.)

How do combine 40 times work? Is it best of three? Or something similar? I'm curious from a cap standpoint how much we could shave by waiving betts and going into the season with either late round or UDFA pick up of Clarett?
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 11:49 AM   #26
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Its not his crappy 40 time that really worries me. In the long run, 40's mean nothing. But what can it be said from him having two years to prepare for yesterday, which could have been one of the biggest days of his life, and he just falls flat on his face? Then after his crappy 40; he goes over and cries about it and wont do anything else for anyone. He is very talented; and he is pissing it right down the toilet. I will be absolutley shocked if he is drafted any higher than the 7th round in a couple months.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 11:52 AM   #27
MTK
\m/

He also ran a 4.72

Betts cap # is only about $700k, cutting him for an unproven rook doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:10 PM   #28
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanthru&thru
exactly. that's going to be the more telling point to all of the coaches and scouts in attendance there.

and what's up with elton brown of uva pulling out of the combine? I've honestly never heard of o-lineman having personal workouts for scouts but i guess that's what he's planning.
No, what should be a more telling point is how a FOOTBALL player played FOOTBALL on a field against top talent, in a game setting. The only thing this combine is good for is the player physicals, mental tests and interviews. Everything else is over rated by the hungry media and fans who are rabid for any NFL news. Everything gets over analyzed.
So Clarrett got upset for running a bad 40. Wouldn't you, if it cost you millions? The players that decided to skip the combine are turning out to be smart, not selfish or stupid. Don't read to much into a GM or an NFL source getting upset because a player did not jump through all the hoops.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 12:31 PM   #29
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins
So Clarrett got upset for running a bad 40. Wouldn't you, if it cost you millions? The players that decided to skip the combine are turning out to be smart, not selfish or stupid. Don't read to much into a GM or an NFL source getting upset because a player did not jump through all the hoops.
Well what if he fumbles in a big game and costs a team a touchdown or somthing? Should he just pack it in and ride the bench because he is "upset". No. He should have gone back out there to try to prove somthing. I dont think he really cost himself millions either. He was proboly around a 4th-5th round pick before the combine; now he'll be lucky to get drafted. I dont feel for this guy at all. Although I do agree with your assesment on the combine, its really not a good indicator of talent.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 12:34 PM   #30
MTK
\m/

Not participating in the rest of the drills did no good for Clarett and only raises more questions and "I told you so" from his critics.