Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Who Stays And Who Goes? Perceptions Changing?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-07-2009, 09:05 AM   #16
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Re: Who Stays And Who Goes? Perceptions Changing?

I was telling Daseal and Gmanc the same thing yesterday. I think we just needed to get the OL settled a bit and do plays that cater to Campbell's strengths.

Advertisements
Old 12-07-2009, 09:06 AM   #17
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johno View Post
with your powers combined...
???
Old 12-07-2009, 09:17 AM   #18
joethiesmanfan
The Starter

Captain Planet!!! WOW!!!
joethiesmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:21 AM   #19
redsk1
The Starter

I do think that alot of the older players need to go. VC needs to go. I'm starting to come around on the team a little though. Maybe a heavy tweaking is what we need. I'm still not sold on Jim Zorn. He just doesn't seem to call the right plays when it's his time to call the right plays, seemingly.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:32 AM   #20
joethiesmanfan
The Starter

WR - check
QB - check
RB - (add a young gun keep Portis never get rid fo a war horse)
OL - focus of acquisitions
TE - check
DL - check
LB - (add a young stud)
CB - Barnes play more, like Tryon's development, Darrell Green did a good job, bring him in as CB coach.
S - check - coaching is the issue
Old 12-07-2009, 09:51 AM   #21
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

This is the challenge we seem to face every year. We always believe we're just around the corner. And when you look around the league it's not hard to think that.

Still, I think now is as good a time to make some tough decisions. I'd start by moving on from Jason Campbell. I like him and think he'll be a good to great QB in the NFL. Still, it doesn't look like a long-term commitment is in the cards for either side. And with so many QBs available in the draft this year it seems to make the most sense to move forward now.

Great thread
Old 12-07-2009, 10:08 AM   #22
joethiesmanfan
The Starter

Well if you draft a QB who Qbs in the interim? Until Bradford or whoever starts looking good. I don't see a great QB in this years draft. I am sorry. Then at that point you have a QB but need everything else to go along with it, you rebuilding again. The team will be good around that QB's 5th or 6th year, with a small 2 year window for the Super Bowl.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:23 AM   #23
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethiesmanfan View Post
The team will be good around that QB's 5th or 6th year, with a small 2 year window for the Super Bowl.
I am not certain how you come to this conclusion.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:37 AM   #24
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
A new coach is definitely going to mean significant changes, especially at QB. I'm almost starting to wish we could just keep Zorn and make Sherman Lewis the full-time OC/play-caller, build up the OL, keep JC, and go from there.
Slow down a little bit there.. Yes the Lewis play calling change has been an unquestioned positive move, let's also remember that this combo is 1-5. Zorn still has glaring weaknesses as a head coach (clock management, decisions on when to be aggressive vs. conservative, etc.) that will likely continue to cost us. Let's also remember that Lewis is 67 and may not want to have a full time OC job anymore.

I am 50/50 on Campbell returning. I think he's got the tools to be a solid, not great, QB in the league. Protect him well, give him weapons and he can win you 10 games a year. If things around him start to fall apart, he's not going to be able to lift the entire offense on his back however so the next coach should examine if that's something he can live with. I honestly don't think there is a better QB who will be available on the free agent/trade market but I also don't see him coming back if we draft a QB in the 1st round either.

I'm loving what I've been seeing from Thomas the past few weeks. He's starting to show ability and more importantly, consistency. If he can continue to develop, Kelly keeps coming on, Mitchell keeps coming on, we can move Moss into the slot (imagine him in a Welker role?) and can finally have a strong WR group.

On defense, if we replace Rogers and move Landry to SS then I will be quite happy in 2010.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:43 AM   #25
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
Slow down a little bit there.. Yes the Lewis play calling change has been an unquestioned positive move, let's also remember that this combo is 1-5. Zorn still has glaring weaknesses as a head coach (clock management, decisions on when to be aggressive vs. conservative, etc.) that will likely continue to cost us. Let's also remember that Lewis is 67 and may not want to have a full time OC job anymore.
I know it's unlikely to happen, Sherm was brought in as a band-aid and not much else. But it just seems that once we start to see a glimmer of what could be, we're going to blow it all up again. But at the end of the day you are what your record says you are, and at 3-9 changes are needed, probably drastic ones.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:44 AM   #26
Redskin Warrior
The Starter

I think that we should get a GM, keep Zorn, Lewis, Jason, add OL, RB, LB (to move Sackpo to DE), FS Landry is a SS keep him in the box & limited pass coverage. Get younger let Griffin, Daniels, Thomas, Samuels go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
First they ban winning...now this?
Redskin Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:04 AM   #27
dmek25
MVP

there is a ton of stuff that really pisses me off with Zorn. his clock management is god awful. the second half of yesterdays game was the first time in an eternity that skins had all of their timeouts left going late into the half/ game. the super conservative play calling leading up to Suisham's miss. yes, i know that's a chip shot. but why not try to score a touchdown? the stupid idea of trying to freeze the kicker with a timeout. almost cost us at the end of the half, when New Orleans brought their offense back onto the field. the list goes on and on
Old 12-07-2009, 11:12 AM   #28
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

If you look at the schedule of games played this year this team has been in every game. The worst loss was to Atlanta by 14 points and that was when during the 1st half the team looked as if had quit, after the second half these team has been playing a lot better despite all the injuries, turmoil and last minute heartbreaking losses. It would be dumb to let Campbell walk, we should fire Vinny get another GM, keep Zorn as HC and Sherm Lewis as OC, promote Jerry Gray to DC, build the OL, draft a LB and RB and we are on our way.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:27 AM   #29
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

I am truly surprised at how many people want to keep a 3 win coach! Just because we're starting to resemble an NFL offense (once the play calling duties were stripped from said coach mind you) doesn't mean squat if we're still losing games! I don't want to 'blow it up' just for the sake of blowing it up but seriously, changes are needed.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:27 AM   #30
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

Who goes for me by trade, retire, or release. No personal feelings just business:
Todd Collins
Phillip Daniels
Malcolm Kelly
Marcus Mason
Anthony Montgomery
Fred Smoot
Antwaan Randle El
Carlos Rogers
Renaldo Wynn
Ladell Betts
Chris Samuels
Randy Thomas
Jim Zorn

Notable not on list:
Laron Landry- He is a great player out of position. We need a free safety to give us the opportunity to move him to his natural position.
Clinton Portis- I really would like to see how he would be in a real rotation and behind a decent oline, I'm not ready to give up on him yet. His "me-first" attitude and unwillingness to practice I am also willing to let him go though.
Santanna Moss- Has heart and could be a monster if he is shifted around the formations to create mismatches as well as the slot.