Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Philly pre-game

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-27-2023, 03:28 PM   #16
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Re: Philly pre-game

I wonder what Jabril Cox's status is. I was hopeful that we would have received word that he was being elevated from the practice squad by now. Surely he brings more to the table than Mayo...
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-27-2023, 04:18 PM   #17
calia
Playmaker

Philly is not going to take this lightly and they're going to try to throw everything imaginable at Sam. Unless we get the ball out very fast and have a healthy dose of the run game early, I have a bad feeling about this game. Anything can happen in a division game, but I do not like the trajectories these teams are on. Our D has surrendered 70 points the last two weeks (felt like more), so we all need to stop talking about it being a top 5 or top 10 defense. They have that capability, but it isn't coming together (JDR, some of this is definitely on you). It's a long season, but they wilted against the Bills.

I do think we will see a better effort and game than last week (low bar). But I don't think it will be enough. I think Philly wins this comfortably at home 28-13, and sending us into full blown code-red, trap game, panic mode against Chicago.

Hope I am wrong about all of this.
Old 09-27-2023, 05:02 PM   #18
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

I get what you are saying about the defense. Pretty much every aspect of this team can get better, but I don't put a lot on the defense so far. Yes, the Bills scored 37 points, but the 5 turnovers had a lot to do with that. The offense did not help them out - at all.

We just need to run the ball. Josh Jacobs ran 9 times for -2 yards against the Bills. BRob ran 10 times for 70 yards against the Bills. We CAN run the ball, and if we want any chance of winning this game, we will have to.
Old 09-27-2023, 05:06 PM   #19
SkinsGuru
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
EB may want to re-think his pass happy approach. BR is averaging 4.6 yards a carry, might want to lean on the ground game a bit more. Help protect your young QB.
couldn't agree more!! Robinson had a 7 ypc average in that game against buffalo . . . why wouldn't you use what was working? or was it working because they weren't using it very much?
SkinsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 05:51 PM   #20
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
I get what you are saying about the defense. Pretty much every aspect of this team can get better, but I don't put a lot on the defense so far. Yes, the Bills scored 37 points, but the 5 turnovers had a lot to do with that. The offense did not help them out - at all.

We just need to run the ball. Josh Jacobs ran 9 times for -2 yards against the Bills. BRob ran 10 times for 70 yards against the Bills. We CAN run the ball, and if we want any chance of winning this game, we will have to.

Yep.
GridIron26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 10:20 PM   #21
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
I wonder what Jabril Cox's status is. I was hopeful that we would have received word that he was being elevated from the practice squad by now. Surely he brings more to the table than Mayo...

Brings more to the table than mayo. True in so many ways. And i like Mayo(nnaise). It has no place at the table though really.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 10:25 PM   #22
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsGuru View Post
couldn't agree more!! Robinson had a 7 ypc average in that game against buffalo . . . why wouldn't you use what was working? or was it working because they weren't using it very much?

I think there is some definite truth to this. If we kept running Buffalo would have adjusted. Our o line is such a fucking problem. That being said anything is better than 9 sacks. We have lost amazing amounts of yards due to sacks. So run it, quick screen it or if your gonna go deep shotgun and be ready to roll out and throw it away real quick. We cannot try and out offense people. We gotta take what we can get without going backwards- and play defense and win ugly. At least against the good teams.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 12:04 AM   #23
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Through three games, we're 3rd in the league in yards per rushing attempt. We can run the ball, and the offensive line is a major reason why. You don't average 5 yards per rush with a dogshit line.

I personally think the offensive line has been way over criticized due to the amount of sacks Sam has taken. Of course the sacks that stick out, and the sacks everyone remembers, are the ones that resulted in a TD or safety when Wylie was beaten 1 on 1. However, most analysts I've heard - who actually look at the plays and not the box score - have indicated that the majority of the sacks aren't on the O-line.

Either way it's gotta get cleaned up, and that starts with EB.
Old 09-28-2023, 12:57 AM   #24
PorkSkins
Playmaker

Quote:
Through three games, we're 3rd in the league in yards per rushing attempt. We can run the ball, and the offensive line is a major reason why. You don't average 5 yards per rush with a dogshit line.

I personally think the offensive line has been way over criticized due to the amount of sacks Sam has taken. Of course the sacks that stick out, and the sacks everyone remembers, are the ones that resulted in a TD or safety when Wylie was beaten 1 on 1. However, most analysts I've heard - who actually look at the plays and not the box score - have indicated that the majority of the sacks aren't on the O-line.

Agree with your entire post. Several of those sacks are attributed to Howell holding onto the ball too long, whether he's trying to look for the big play or seeing ghosts.

Finally, just because a line is having issues blocking against the pass doesn't mean they aren't capable of run blocking (this wasn't directed at you, Chief, but to others).
PorkSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 01:14 AM   #25
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:

I agree the Oline has been run blocking wayyy better than they are getting credit for !
Pass blocking has been an issue though, yes Howell is responsible for a lot for the sacks, but some of them are just our guys, ie Wylie, getting flat out burnt.
Old 09-28-2023, 06:48 AM   #26
WCommandersfan99
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
EB may want to re-think his pass happy approach. BR is averaging 4.6 yards a carry, might want to lean on the ground game a bit more. Help protect your young QB.
Totally agree. It will set up everything for the offense and rest the defense more. Robinson is the real deal. Howell must get rid of the ball quicker. Would be a massive victory but will be very tough. Hoping Philly overlooks and underestimates Washington in this game.
WCommandersfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 08:12 AM   #27
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

The good news is we got Chicago next TNF.. We will need to bounce back after a most likely loss. The Eagles are prob the 3rd best team in the league right now and their OL is insane. I don't see us being able to stop that run game, and Hurts hasn't had a real good game yet, he's due. We are just not there yet to compete with the top tier teams
Old 09-28-2023, 08:20 AM   #28
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Howell needs to throw the ball. But the shitty O-line play is about more than just the sacks. The pocket fucking collapses so fast and across the line, even on pass attempts where he doesn't get sacked. Howell is having normal growing pains, but he has to do them behind a line that can't pass-block for shit. They get fucking worked repeatedly. This is a passing league. We cannot and will not win consistently unless they can magically improve or get replaced next season.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 08:23 AM   #29
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Howell needs to throw the ball. But the shitty O-line play is about more than just the sacks. The pocket fucking collapses so fast and across the line, even on pass attempts where he doesn't get sacked. Howell is having normal growing pains, but he has to do them behind a line that can't pass-block for shit. They get fucking worked repeatedly. This is a passing league. We cannot and will not win consistently unless they can magically improve or get replaced next season.

Yeah and when he’s pressured he just throws the ball all over the place , he has to just eat a sack sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-28-2023, 08:37 AM   #30
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
I honestly think our pass blocking isn't horrible, our line more fails on run blocking.

Sam really holds the ball much too long, it was a knock on him coming out of NC as well. He needs to get through his progressions faster and dump it when its not there.