Jason Campbell Mistake?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-06-2006, 01:08 AM   #16
That Guy
Living Legend

Re: Jason Campbell Mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan
I find it difficult to phantom anyone drawing serious conclusions in a negative sense about JC already. Come on guys, this is a young man who has had limited opportunities under center. He was obviously a little nervous to start which is to be expected. Let's not be so hasty to form opinions, he still has some learning to do. We'll have a chance to see more of him in the pre-season games and maybe it may be wise to sort of reserve our opinions until we see more of him on a consistent basis.
i don't think anyone's written him off. but if he's playing badly in the preseason, it's going to be mentioned.

Everyone should be aware that camp and preseason starts slow on offense, and one bad practice (or superstar performance against 5th stringers) shouldn't be the basis for rendering a player's true worth.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-06-2006, 01:55 AM   #17
BMF21
Special Teams

this will be a hyped season........
Old 08-06-2006, 07:59 AM   #18
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
I find it difficult to phantom anyone drawing serious conclusions in a negative sense about JC already. Come on guys, this is a young man who has had limited opportunities under center. He was obviously a little nervous to start which is to be expected. Let's not be so hasty to form opinions, he still has some learning to do. We'll have a chance to see more of him in the pre-season games and maybe it may be wise to sort of reserve our opinions until we see more of him on a consistent basis.
LOL, phantom. You probably meant fathom. Sorry to be the grammar guy, but that substitution struck me as funny.

Anyway, in a general response to this entire thread, it's totally normal for the defenses to be way ahead of the offenses at this point in training camp. Heck, the Skins have only been practicing for a week. It takes some time for the QBs and WRs to develop that timing they need. The best way to evaluate Campbell will be to see how he does in our 3rd and 4th preseason game when he's matched up against a first-string defense.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:38 AM   #19
Sammy Baugh Fan
Playmaker

JC will be our QB in the Super Bowl.
End of thread!

lol
Discuss
Old 08-06-2006, 08:51 AM   #20
GoSkins!
The Starter

I thought he looked pretty good under the conditions he was playing. He had our second string offense going up against thier first string defense. The Ravens were really bringing the heat on him and he showed how athletic he is by jumping out of the pocket and running for yardage. That caught my eye, because I forgot just how big and fast he was until I saw him at the scrimmage. He will provide a running threat that we Skins fans have never really had once he gets a little more comfortable.

I could tell that he needs more snaps under center in real game action. I think we will see him make real progress as the preseason goes on.

As to Collins, he did seem to dump the ball off quick (as I have been hearing he does a lot), but in his defense, everytime he did, our guys would run for at least 10 yards. If that is how you loosen up the defense, so be it!
Old 08-06-2006, 08:54 AM   #21
RedskinPete
The Starter

What I saw is a young man a long way from being the starter on a NFL team. So we can put the he's the guy to bed Now! He has star all over him but if we have to have him this year we a in big trouble. As for Todd C I think he could step in if neeeded!
RedskinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 11:34 AM   #22
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10
LOL, phantom. You probably meant fathom. Sorry to be the grammar guy, but that substitution struck me as funny.

Anyway, in a general response to this entire thread, it's totally normal for the defenses to be way ahead of the offenses at this point in training camp. Heck, the Skins have only been practicing for a week. It takes some time for the QBs and WRs to develop that timing they need. The best way to evaluate Campbell will be to see how he does in our 3rd and 4th preseason game when he's matched up against a first-string defense.

Thanks Schneed for puting the proper touches on my grammar. You're correct I did mean fanthom, good to see you're observant.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 11:38 AM   #23
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Thanks Schneed for puting the proper touches on my grammar. You're correct I did mean fanthom, good to see you're observant.
fanthom?....or fathom?

Sorry, couldn't resist. It was just there for the taking
Old 08-06-2006, 12:43 PM   #24
Defensewins
Playmaker

The defenses are always way ahead of the offense at this time of the year, no need to be bitter. All the teams are going through it; see CNNSI article about Parcells saying Bledsoe and offense are getting their asses handed to them so far in practice by the defense. Does that mean former Pro Bowl QB Bledsoe is also not ready for the NFL? No. Campbell is fine.
Add the fact that Campbell was working with mostly second team offense against Ravens mostly first team defense.

Campbell is learning a new system that prides itself with being voluminous, 200 new play added for each game. Let’s be realistic about our expectation for an August scrimmage.

The bitter Ramsey fans should not being throwing stones, 4th year QB Ramsey is getting beat out by Pennington (2x shoulder surgery) and rookie, that is something to get upset about.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 01:08 PM   #25
Hail2em

Give the man some playing time here...how many games has he started?....another new system he has to learn.... you guys expect him to just go in there and produce. think about what you say before you say anything. when he gets in there and on a consistant basis we will see what he's all about.
Hail2em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 01:08 PM   #26
MTK
\m/

It's way to early to draw any solid conclusions on Campbell.

I thought some of his passes in the scrimmage were absolutely beautiful. That sideline one to Jacobs where he didn't stay in bounds was just so nice, right on target, nice touch, a really well thrown ball.

Other times he looked a bit confused, but he showed some nice athleticism in the pocket. He's obviously a work in progress, but the raw talent is definitely there.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:30 PM   #27
offiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS
As you know, I don't think it was a mistake to trade Ramsey. And from what I hear, he isn't exactly make us miss him with his play this summer in NY.

I think it's too early to pass any true judgement on Campbell. And I think Collins is and will continue to help the rest of the team learn Saunders' offense, though it's not all that radically different from Gibbs as I understand it.

That said however, Collins would not have been my first choice when we went out looking for a QB. Ideally, he won't take a meaningful snap this year but if we do have to go to him I would have rather had some free agent QB like a Jay Fiedler as the 2nd/3rd stringer. Or Griese, but he would have been damn expensive.

Fieldler over Ramsey? You have to be joking? Griese has no arm.

I have a bad feeling that the Ramsey trade can blow up in our face.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 01:30 PM   #28
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins
Campbell is learning a new system that prides itself with being voluminous, 200 new play added for each game. Let’s be realistic about our expectation for an August scrimmage.
From B. Lloyd's journal:

"Coach Al Saunders says we'll have anywhere from 250 to 300 plays to call in our season opener against the Vikings. WOW! I guess that explains why our playbook has more pages than the phone book."

Wow! is right
Old 08-06-2006, 01:31 PM   #29
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by offiss
Fieldler over Ramsey? You have to be joking? Griese has no arm.

I have a bad feeling that the Ramsey trade can blow up in our face.
Ramsey wasn't going to be here. So taking him out of the equation, Fiedler has shown he can at least keep an offense moving. Collins I'm not so sure about.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:39 PM   #30
vaoutlaws2006
Impact Rookie

whoa...slow it down might want to pump the breaks...give the kid a chance
vaoutlaws2006 is offline   Reply With Quote