Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Chris Cooley for a 1st and a 3rd -- would you do it?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-09-2010, 06:26 PM   #271
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Re: Chris Cooley for a 1st and a 3rd -- would you do it?

Looking back, perhaps I should have adjusted the thread title to say "Would you trade Chris Cooley for draft picks" -- but I figured with Cooley being the fan favorite that he is, the price would have to be high or there'd be some irate people on this thread. Judging from the first few replies, even a 1st and a 3rd wasn't enough.

Really I just wanted to find out what people thought about exchanging their favorite player for more draft picks to address other areas of need. With Fred Davis looking like he's the real deal, people seem to be more receptive to the idea than they were before.

And yes, a 1st and a 3rd would be highly unlikely. I'd still do it for a 2nd and a 5th though.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-09-2010, 09:48 PM   #272
44Deezel
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Looking back, perhaps I should have adjusted the thread title to say "Would you trade Chris Cooley for draft picks" -- but I figured with Cooley being the fan favorite that he is, the price would have to be high or there'd be some irate people on this thread. Judging from the first few replies, even a 1st and a 3rd wasn't enough.

Really I just wanted to find out what people thought about exchanging their favorite player for more draft picks to address other areas of need. With Fred Davis looking like he's the real deal, people seem to be more receptive to the idea than they were before.

And yes, a 1st and a 3rd would be highly unlikely. I'd still do it for a 2nd and a 5th though.
In a New York Minute. Cooley's my favorite player, but you can't let personal feelings get in the way of sound business decisions. I wouldn't think twice about trading him for picks. Fred Davis is for real, and he's younger (and probably cheaper at this time). In my opinion, this is the ultimate no-brainer assuming you put winning above everything else.
44Deezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:10 PM   #273
rbanerjee23
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Deezel View Post
In a New York Minute. Cooley's my favorite player, but you can't let personal feelings get in the way of sound business decisions. I wouldn't think twice about trading him for picks. Fred Davis is for real, and he's younger (and probably cheaper at this time). In my opinion, this is the ultimate no-brainer assuming you put winning above everything else.
Fred Davis is the real deal? in 2 years and 32 games he has had 53 receptions for 536 yards and 6 tds...lets not anoint him shannon sharpe just yet...It is smart business to keep the only bona fide receiving threat (Cooley) on the team for just a little bit longer before shipping him out because someone could be the real deal.

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:16 PM   #274
T.O.Killa
The Starter

I was thinking that a team liike Cleveland would prize Cooley.
T.O.Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:26 PM   #275
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Killa View Post
I was thinking that a team liike Cleveland would prize Cooley.
Good point -- Cooley is a dependable safety valve for struggling QBs.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:48 PM   #276
T.O.Killa
The Starter

I was also thinking if we go to a 3-4, Andre Carter would have little use to us. I wonder what another team would give for him.
T.O.Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:02 PM   #277
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Killa View Post
I was also thinking if we go to a 3-4, Andre Carter would have little use to us. I wonder what another team would give for him.
It's a really good question. He's 30, going to be 31 next season, but he's still highly productive.

I'd imagine that because of the (probably untrue) perception that he simply benefited from Haynesworth this year, he'd be best kept as a nickel pass rusher in a base 3-4 than traded for like a fourth round pick or something. On top of that, I think you could put carter at DE in the 3-4 and he'd do just fine. He'd get beat up over the course of a season down inside, but I think he'd be a decent fit there.

OLB in the 3-4, he's pretty useless.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:29 AM   #278
LandrySlice
Special Teams

When watching the NY-CIN game, I noticed that CIN really didin't have a TE for a weapon. Could this be a team that could benefit from a Cooley type player? I think they are sound defensively, so maybe they would be down to give up a pick or 2 for Cooley, they sure could use him from what I saw today.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:34 AM   #279
skins89moss
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsowilso View Post
Stop trying to trade Chris Cooley!

And start trying to imagine how a top flight NFL mind will actually utilize our one area of strength on the offensive side of the ball.

We have two dangerous tight ends. We just need to use them wisely.
I agree with this statement. How many Redskins fans were saying Davis was a bust last season and early this season until he got his chance. Im sorry but we have to many fans who just dont know crap about NFL talent.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:45 AM   #280
skins89moss
Playmaker

Why trade Cooley who has been our most productive offensive player the last few years. He is a guy we scouted and drafted and now is a pro bowl TE Now we have a few fans that want to trade him because Davis had 1 decent season. I like Fred Davis he catches the ball and runs hard after the catch but he is not a elite TE yet. I say keep Cooley and lets see how Davis does the next few seasons. Our WR corp is not good enough yet so we need our TE's to help our offense be explosive in the pass game.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:03 AM   #281
budw38
Playmaker

What if Cleveland offers WR-KR Cribbs and a 3rd ? I doubt they would add a draft pick , as far as Cooley , we should trade any player if we get more than what they are worth .
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:02 AM   #282
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins89moss View Post
Why trade Cooley who has been our most productive offensive player the last few years. He is a guy we scouted and drafted and now is a pro bowl TE Now we have a few fans that want to trade him because Davis had 1 decent season. I like Fred Davis he catches the ball and runs hard after the catch but he is not a elite TE yet. I say keep Cooley and lets see how Davis does the next few seasons. Our WR corp is not good enough yet so we need our TE's to help our offense be explosive in the pass game.
Let me preface my response to you by saying that it's unlikely Cooley will get us a high enough draft pick to warrant trading him anyway. Without knowing the particulars of Shanahan's offense, he might be too vital to let go anyhow. It's probably just not going to happen. But if it does, here's why we should consider it...

-- Yes, Cooley has been highly productive, but even with his production, what has that meant to us in the overall efficiency of our offense? Obviously not much.

-- Your last statement about TEs 'helping out' our WR corp to be more explosive is counter-intuitive. If anything, we've seen that relying on TEs takes away from an emphasis on wide receivers; making our offense more controlled, moderate, and incapable of being "explosive." Now, you might say that Shanahan will find a way to compensate for that, incorporating the TE effectively without turning him into nothing more than a safety valve, but Davis clearly is a player who can make this happen.

-- Finally, and most importantly, we have way too many holes on this team to be stocked at the tight end position. You can go up and down just about every position and there's a glaring need. The best teams in the league build their rosters by loading up on draft picks from rounds 3 through 5. We already have two less than the normal complement of draft picks.

If an offer comes along that's attractive enough, and I doubt it will, but if it does, I think you'll see that Allen and Shanahan might consider it.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:00 PM   #283
SkinsGuru
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
If I was confident Davis could step in I would do it, trouble is I'm not, so I wouldn't.
Davis put up better numbers in his half of season this year than Cooley did AND his blocking came a long ways from his first game . . .
SkinsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:13 PM   #284
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsGuru View Post
Davis put up better numbers in his half of season this year than Cooley did AND his blocking came a long ways from his first game . . .
Actually their production was pretty similar in terms of catches per game, in fact I think Cooley edged him out in that area.

And the post you were responding to was from about a week before Cooley got hurt, so FD was still unproven at that point.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:16 PM   #285
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

If I was BA and I couldn't get a 1st & a 3rd, I'd take a 4th, 6th, a bucket of Bojangles Spicy Fried Chicken, with an order of dirty rice, and two Bo-Berry Biscuits.