Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Offseason Roster Moves Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-20-2020, 12:37 PM   #271
Warthog
The Starter

Re: Offseason Roster Moves Thread

Reed coming off of the concussion protocol means that the Redskins will drop him sooner rather than later. I’d say within a week.

Olsen went to a playoff level team and a crazy amount of money -$7 mill. I thought he might come here for $5 mill, but he is way overpriced. Glad we didn’t try to beat that price. The team is saving to pay for Hooper - around $10 mill per year.

I think Hooper will be our top FA desire. He is not at the very top elite TE level, but right below that at the “very good” level and will help out Haskins immensely. They’ll also draft for TE.

I really question whether the Redskins will target a high-dollar WR like Cooper. I believe the team will us their third round (#66) for WR, to fill the WR#2 spot. That draft pick will compete with Harmon.

I think the Redskins are going to spend their money solidifying their OL. Scherff will cost $15 mill a year, Trent Williams will also be expensive and they will sign Flowers for a long-term deal. If they do that the biggest problem will be what to do with Moses. He had a terrible season and had a boatload of penalties. They will either keep him to hope he improves or replace him with Martin OR an OT FA. They will also draft OT in the draft and UDFA and hope they have one that takes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-20-2020, 02:01 PM   #272
GridIron26
Playmaker

Per Josina Anderson, Dunbar tried to talk with Redskins about contract extension but Redskins declined.

https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/s...37856143196161

This isn't what I was hoping to see
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 02:44 PM   #273
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
Per Josina Anderson, Dunbar tried to talk with Redskins about contract extension but Redskins declined.

I wouldn’t worry about this. They have to drop some more players like Reed. Then the Combine, where they see who they’re hoping to draft. Then FA starts. Dunbar has another year in his contract so the Redskins have to make OTHER FA decisions first. Including, getting a first-rate CB FA. I think Dunbar will be resigned, just not right away.

Flyboy.

Old 02-20-2020, 03:17 PM   #274
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:

Well hopefully lesson learned.

mouthing off to the media aint gonna work with this new culture.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 04:01 PM   #275
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:

Imperfect. Emmy/NABJ award winner. ESPN talent. Formerly- Showtime, TarHeel Track, American Youth Ballet, Jr. Olympian. RTs not endorsements. IG: josinaanderson

^^ this is the profile of the person that reported the Skins declined contract talks .. Josina Anderson.

Who is Josina Anderson? Who is Tony Pauline (trent story)?

Am I being the asshole here by questioning the veracity of Josina and Tony when no local reliable beat reporters are corroborating?

Im not believing anything until I see Craig Hoffman, JP or Keim corroborate or endorse it.

edit ----

LOL .. the world will get you more times than you get it.

Apparently JP did pretty much endorse Josina's tweet about Dunbar. LOL

JP Finlay
@JPFinlayNBCS
·
3h
Yep.

Quote Tweet
ig: josinaanderson
@JosinaAnderson
· 3h
Sources close to #Redskins CB Quinton Dunbar tell me that he had reached out to the team to discuss a reasonable contract restructure but the club declined the conversation. Dunbar remains resolute in his desire to be released or traded.
Old 02-20-2020, 04:43 PM   #276
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
I wouldn’t worry about this. They have to drop some more players like Reed. Then the Combine, where they see who they’re hoping to draft. Then FA starts. Dunbar has another year in his contract so the Redskins have to make OTHER FA decisions first. Including, getting a first-rate CB FA. I think Dunbar will be resigned, just not right away.

I hope you are right. Also, I imagine Riveria and Del Rio will want to see if Dunbar can stay healthy for full season and how well he fits with the new defense.

I will be disappointed if we let him go with nothing in return.
Old 02-20-2020, 04:45 PM   #277
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Imperfect. Emmy/NABJ award winner. ESPN talent. Formerly- Showtime, TarHeel Track, American Youth Ballet, Jr. Olympian. RTs not endorsements. IG: josinaanderson

^^ this is the profile of the person that reported the Skins declined contract talks .. Josina Anderson.

Who is Josina Anderson? Who is Tony Pauline (trent story)?

Am I being the asshole here by questioning the veracity of Josina and Tony when no local reliable beat reporters are corroborating?

Im not believing anything until I see Craig Hoffman, JP or Keim corroborate or endorse it.

edit ----

LOL .. the world will get you more times than you get it.

Apparently JP did pretty much endorse Josina's tweet about Dunbar. LOL

JP Finlay
@JPFinlayNBCS
·
3h
Yep.

Quote Tweet
ig: josinaanderson
@JosinaAnderson
· 3h
Sources close to #Redskins CB Quinton Dunbar tell me that he had reached out to the team to discuss a reasonable contract restructure but the club declined the conversation. Dunbar remains resolute in his desire to be released or traded.
I thought same thing when I first saw the report by Anderson but after reading a little bit about her, I think she's legit. And even better now that Finlay confirmed it.

ESPN's bio on Anderson: https://espnpressroom.com/us/bios/josina-anderson/
Old 02-20-2020, 05:41 PM   #278
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
I hope you are right. Also, I imagine Riveria and Del Rio will want to see if Dunbar can stay healthy for full season and how well he fits with the new defense.

I will be disappointed if we let him go with nothing in return.
I don't agree with Dunbar mouthing off like that, but I think it reflects his worries about getting hurt after so many Redskins have been injured in the last two years. I think he's concerned he'll be hurt before his big payday.

I think the Redskins will rebuild Dunbar's contract, but only after the Combine and the opening of FA. The Redskins have some big FA signings to go and one of them has to do with the CB FA they will sign next month. There are a lot of ways the Redskins can go in FA for CB but I wonder if they might just take the shortest and cheapest route by re-hiring Kendall Fuller. He'll be pretty inexpensive and if he returns to form when he played here before, he'll be a real bargain. But besides TE (Hooper or Henry) the CB might be a position where they put some FA money if the don't go the Fuller route.

I think the Redskins will resign Dunbar with a contract to keep him happy, just not right away - which might be a little bump for crying to the media. I doubt he will be traded, they need him too much.

Flyboy.

Old 02-20-2020, 06:00 PM   #279
Tennskinsfan
Camp Scrub

If we can pick up a quality TE in free agency like Hopper or Henry then I would think it would be on the smarter spectrum to not make a splash in the WR market this season. Give Haskins another pass catcher to continue to build his confidence and move us down the field. Spend some money on a quality CB (especially with the Dunbar drama) like Bradberry and/or Byron. Extend our Guards and look to add some depth to our RT spot, I like Viatai from the eagles. He’s Shown promise and give him a chance to overtake Moses starting spot. If at this point there’s enough left to scrap a multi year deal to Tre Boston go for it.

With a similar FA period to what is above I would then like to see us. Take Young (baring an unlikely RG3 deal) and then come back in the 3 and start to fill in some of the remaining gaps WR, CB, LB, TE etc.

Spend the majority of offseason and solidify our defense. Then go into next offseason with an offensive mindset. And work on closing more gaps. There are no glaring holes that 1 or 2 FA pickup will make up Super Bowl ready. Work to our strengths and backfill
Tennskinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:12 PM   #280
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

IMO this off season we will get a TE, LB. FS. (2)CB's and a OT (and a partridge in a pear tree) all in FA. We are building a dominating defense makes sense with a Defensive minded HC.
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:20 PM   #281
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennskinsfan View Post
If we can pick up a quality TE in free agency like Hopper or Henry then I would think it would be on the smarter spectrum to not make a splash in the WR market this season. Give Haskins another pass catcher to continue to build his confidence and move us down the field. Spend some money on a quality CB (especially with the Dunbar drama) like Bradberry and/or Byron. Extend our Guards and look to add some depth to our RT spot, I like Viatai from the eagles. He’s Shown promise and give him a chance to overtake Moses starting spot. If at this point there’s enough left to scrap a multi year deal to Tre Boston go for it.

With a similar FA period to what is above I would then like to see us. Take Young (baring an unlikely RG3 deal) and then come back in the 3 and start to fill in some of the remaining gaps WR, CB, LB, TE etc.

Spend the majority of offseason and solidify our defense. Then go into next offseason with an offensive mindset. And work on closing more gaps. There are no glaring holes that 1 or 2 FA pickup will make up Super Bowl ready. Work to our strengths and backfill
Agreed - good post! Getting the best TE in the market I think will help Haskin's much more than spending upwards of $20 mill/yr for the best WR. Harmon is a decent WR #2. Draft for the WR#2 role and let that draft pick battle it out with Harmon in TC. Even if the WR draft pick is a total bust, you still have Harmon.

We could go for the best TE and a top CB for the same money we pay for Cooper at WR ($20 mill/yr). I think the Redskins will spend their money this season in the OL trenches: resigning Trent Williams, Scherff and Flowers. Martin is the backup or might fight it out with Moses for the OT position. Then you still have to sign FS and LB. Use the draft for Chase Young, WR, TE and OT. It's tough to fill all the holes in one season but if Kyle Smith has another excellent draft the team could rebuild faster than expected.

Flyboy.

Old 02-20-2020, 09:32 PM   #282
Irrefutable
The Starter

There are too many needs to expect them all to be filled in one season...WR, 2 or 3 TE, 2 OT, 2 G, QB and 2 or 3 LB, 2 CB, 2 S

It will take 2 or 3 years of rebuilding.
Irrefutable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 06:43 AM   #283
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

We still could make more cap room with a RK restructure and maybe a couple other smaller cuts (I’m looking at trash like Montae Nicholson who absolutely shouldn’t be on this team)

But we should have around the 6th-5th most cap space in the league...it will be interesting to see how we build the team. The decline of Dunbar extension and Josh Norman cut tells me we have our eyes on free agent corners. Also the pursuit of Olsen might hint at a short free agent Vet TE as opposed to one of the more expensive top of class TE.

Eating a large portion of dead cap of Richardson contract is inline with the previous Keim report that they want another outside WR to pair with Terry now. Not waiting to see how it goes.

The deny of Dunbar extension, Reed and P Rich cuts...screams you need to be on the field contributing to get paid. And that is a welcoming change.

WR, TE, Corner looks to be the early focus in free agency. Still interested to see if there will be movement at Linebacker and Free Safety in FA, I think it could be possible, especially at MLB.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:59 AM   #284
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Talking Re: Offseason Roster Moves Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
We still could make more cap room with a RK restructure and maybe a couple other smaller cuts (I’m looking at trash like Montae Nicholson who absolutely shouldn’t be on this team)

But we should have around the 6th-5th most cap space in the league...it will be interesting to see how we build the team. The decline of Dunbar extension and Josh Norman cut tells me we have our eyes on free agent corners. Also the pursuit of Olsen might hint at a short free agent Vet TE as opposed to one of the more expensive top of class TE.

Eating a large portion of dead cap of Richardson contract is inline with the previous Keim report that they want another outside WR to pair with Terry now. Not waiting to see how it goes.

The deny of Dunbar extension, Reed and P Rich cuts...screams you need to be on the field contributing to get paid. And that is a welcoming change.

WR, TE, Corner looks to be the early focus in free agency. Still interested to see if there will be movement at Linebacker and Free Safety in FA, I think it could be possible, especially at MLB.
I would rather not have a short TE
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:13 AM   #285
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

If Dallas doesn't keep Cooper, we need to be all in on him. 25 Years old in his prime and one of the best WRs in football. Put him with Terry and u have a legit top 10 duo