thanks SS.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #257
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: All things Science related. λν = c

Ruins of Lost City May Lurk Deep in Honduras Rain Forest

New images of a possible lost city hidden by Honduran rain forests show what might be the building foundations and mounds of Ciudad Blanca, a never-confirmed legendary metropolis.

Archaeologists and filmmakers Steven Elkins and Bill Benenson announced last year that they had discovered possible ruins in Honduras' Mosquitia region using lidar, or light detection and ranging. Essentially, slow-flying planes send constant laser pulses groundward as they pass over the rain forest, imaging the topography below the thick forest canopy.

What the archaeologists found — and what the new images reveal — are features that could be ancient ruins, including canals, roads, building foundations and terraced agricultural land. The University of Houston archaeologists who led the expedition will reveal their new images and discuss them today (May 15) at the American Geophysical Union Meeting of the Americas in Cancun.

Ciudad Blanca, or "The White City," has been a legend since the days of the conquistadors, who believed the Mosquitia rain forests hid a metropolis full of gold and searched for it in the 1500s. Throughout the 1900s, archaeologists documented mounds and other signs of ancient civilization in the Mosquitias region, but the shining golden city of legend has yet to make an appearance.

Whether or not the lidar-weilding archaeologists have discovered the same city the conquistadors were looking for is up for debate, but the images suggest some signs of an ancient lost civilization.

"We use lidar to pinpoint where human structures are by looking for linear shapes and rectangles," Colorado State University research Stephen Leisz, who uses lidar in Mexico, said in a statement. "Nature doesn't work in straight lines."

The archaeologists plan to get their feet on the ground this year to investigate the mysterious features seen in the new images.

This lidar is bad ass

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:20 PM   #258
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Stephen Leisz, who uses lidar in Mexico, said in a statement. "Nature doesn't work in straight lines."
Mr. Leisz's pantaloons have recently spontaneously combusted.

RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:13 AM   #259
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Man I hate to egg RR on,

But this is one kickass computer:

Google Buys a Quantum Computer - NYTimes.com
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:14 AM   #260
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Timelapse: Landsat Satellite Images of Climate Change, via Google Earth Engine

Show's time lapses of the world changing over the course of 3 decades.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #261
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

If you follow Reddit by any measure, you know who Col. Chris Hadfield is and why he's such a popular person.

I found this interesting about a astronaut's lifestyle upon returning to earth.

Canadian astronaut wrestles with gravity after spaceflight

Quote:
"For now, I'm still trying to stand up straight. I have to sit down in the shower so I don't faint and fall down, and I don't have calluses on the bottom of my feet yet, so I'm walking around like I walked on hot coals," he said.

It usually takes about three weeks until a returning astronaut can return to driving, according to the Canadian Space Agency.

"We're sort of tottering around like two old duffers in an old folks home," Hadfield said, referring to his crew mate Marshburn.

Hadfield's orbital odyssey ended with a parachute descent of their Soyuz space capsule onto the steppes of Kazakhstan.

"We hit the Earth just like a car crash, like we expected," Hadfield said. "There was enough wind so that we rolled up on our side. I was the guy hanging from the ceiling."
Did not know it was quite like that.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 06-03-2013, 11:42 PM   #262
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Nerdy, yet kind of cool

Galaxy in Throes of Death Spied for 1st Time
Old 06-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #263
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Perspective. Point a telescope at a area they thought was void, came back with billions of galaxies they never knew existed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Pretty amazing stuff.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:49 PM   #264
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

"If you want to find the secrets of the Universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration."

N Tesla

Old 06-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #265
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

New Human Cornea Layer Discovered

Figured we knew everything about the human body there was to know. Guess not.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:58 PM   #266
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
We were looking at it the whole time and didn't see it!
Old 06-13-2013, 04:13 PM   #267
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Toy helicopter guided by power of thought

A model helicopter can now be steered through an obstacle course by thought alone, researchers report today in the Journal of Neural Engineering. The aircraft's pilot operates it remotely using a cap of electrodes to detect brainwaves that are translated into commands.1

Ultimately, the developers of the mind-controlled copter hope to adapt their technology for directing artificial robotic limbs and other medical devices. Today's best neural prosthetics require electrodes to be implanted in the body and are thus reserved for quadriplegics and others with disabilities severe enough justify invasive surgery.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #268
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Animal-human embryo test clears first hurdle

Proposed experiments with animal-human embryos cleared the first regulatory hurdle Tuesday as Japanese scientists seek permission for tests that could see human organs produced inside the growing body of an animal.

Researchers want to introduce a human stem cell into an animal embryo, to create a so-called chimeric embryo, which they can implant into an animal’s womb.

The hope is that this stem cell will grow into a fully-functioning human organ — a kidney or a liver, for example — as the animal matures.

This would mean when the creature is fully grown, the organ could be harvested from the animal and used for transplanting into a person in need.

I disagree with using animals, we have enough fat people to use as organ farms.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:03 AM   #269
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Wormhole entanglement solves black hole paradox - space - 20 June 2013 - New Scientist

WORMHOLES – tunnels through space-time that connect black holes – may be a consequence of the bizarre quantum property called entanglement. The redefinition would resolve a pressing paradox that you might be burned instead of crushed, should you fall into a black hole.

Knowing which hazard sign to erect outside a black hole isn't exactly an everyday problem. For theoretical physicists, though, it reveals an inconsistency between quantum mechanics and general relativity. Solving this conundrum might lead to the sought-after quantum theory of gravity.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #270
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
Wormhole entanglement solves black hole paradox - space - 20 June 2013 - New Scientist

WORMHOLES – tunnels through space-time that connect black holes – may be a consequence of the bizarre quantum property called entanglement. The redefinition would resolve a pressing paradox that you might be burned instead of crushed, should you fall into a black hole.

Knowing which hazard sign to erect outside a black hole isn't exactly an everyday problem. For theoretical physicists, though, it reveals an inconsistency between quantum mechanics and general relativity. Solving this conundrum might lead to the sought-after quantum theory of gravity.
Sheldon will get his Nobel prize for this! He figured it out while eating spaghetti. The sauce and noodles revealed it to him.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote