Offseason Roster Moves Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-19-2020, 05:14 PM   #256
Number44
Special Teams

Re: Offseason Roster Moves Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
There is a new CBA coming up, they can amend the concussion protocol to include an automatic injury settlement and retirement protocol.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I'm having a hard time understanding how the NFL and/or NFLPA can legally disregard medical opinions and force retirement on a player. Seems very doubtful to me. A team can cut a player that isn't on a guaranteed contract, but the League can't force a player to retire for medical reasons if he's been medically cleared.
Number44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-19-2020, 05:40 PM   #257
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

You're right, it's definitely a personal decision once a player is medically cleared. I just hope the kid does what's best for his future health. At some point he has to realize there's more to life than football...and if he takes anymore of those hits to the head, he's jeopardizing that life...
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 05:49 PM   #258
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number44 View Post
I'm having a hard time understanding how the NFL and/or NFLPA can legally disregard medical opinions and force retirement on a player. Seems very doubtful to me. A team can cut a player that isn't on a guaranteed contract, but the League can't force a player to retire for medical reasons if he's been medically cleared.
You can't terminate a union employee without an explicit provision in the collective bargaining agreement. My point, again, is that the CBA during this renegotiation can include provisions for recognizable longterm health exclusions, like multiple concussions, being bars to continued employment.

CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:35 PM   #259
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Cred, they could go that route, but they won't.

As long as a guy is healthy and wants to play, he can. Nobody will touch Reed when he comes back and has another long term concussion though.

I honestly already worry about him because he missed the entire year due to one concussion. That's the stage where he should realize football isn't worth jeopardizing the rest of his life.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:41 PM   #260
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Fucking sucks he got such a terrible concussion on a 100% dog shit of a hit during a pre season game.

I think he should retire. But walk a mile in his shoes and it's not nearly as easy. He is a young, elite athlete, that has probably dominated at football and/or other sports for 20+ years. Doubt I would walk away if I was him.
sdskinsfan2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:49 PM   #261
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Cred, they could go that route, but they won't.

As long as a guy is healthy and wants to play, he can. Nobody will touch Reed when he comes back and has another long term concussion though.

I honestly already worry about him because he missed the entire year due to one concussion. That's the stage where he should realize football isn't worth jeopardizing the rest of his life.
I don’t know, jay gruden is still coaching in jaxsonville...

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:53 PM   #262
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I don’t know, jay gruden is still coaching in jaxsonville...
Nah I'm saying if he signs with another team and his next concussion (because you know there's some dirty player out there that would take a 15 yard penalty to knock Reed out of a game) lasts another year+ then it might be harder to convince another team to take a chance on him.

Even now he's looking at a team friendly deal, nobody will tie up big money in a guy who can't play 16 games a year.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:44 AM   #263
MTK
\m/

Quote:
There is a new CBA coming up, they can amend the concussion protocol to include an automatic injury settlement and retirement protocol.

Unless it's a hefty settlement it's hard to imagine the players going for that.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:21 AM   #264
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Unless it's a hefty settlement it's hard to imagine the players going for that.
Hard for a union to argue it is about player safety AND say the league is at fault for long term effects of concussions, if they aren't willing to acknowledge that at some point a player's medical history puts his long term health at too high a risk.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:32 AM   #265
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Nah I'm saying if he signs with another team and his next concussion (because you know there's some dirty player out there that would take a 15 yard penalty to knock Reed out of a game) lasts another year+ then it might be harder to convince another team to take a chance on him.

Even now he's looking at a team friendly deal, nobody will tie up big money in a guy who can't play 16 games a year.
You know, I actually think someone will. I think it suits us well to cut him as soon a possible in hopes of adding to the market available TE. I think he would go to play in NE for a low deal.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:33 AM   #266
MTK
\m/

Yeah I hear all that I just can't see either side wanting to go down the road of forced retirement.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:33 AM   #267
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Hard for a union to argue it is about player safety AND say the league is at fault for long term effects of concussions, if they aren't willing to acknowledge that at some point a player's medical history puts his long term health at too high a risk.
I would say ultimately as a starting point ... a player should responsible for making decisions regarding their long term health. The concussion settlement was about the NFL hiding or not disclosing brain injury information to players. Now I hope all players are aware of the risks and able to get competent medical advice so they can make the best informed decision for themselves.

I imagine if a player disagrees with a league or team doctor .. does it go to neutral 3rd party arbitration? Doesnt the CBA have to still comply w labor laws? Would the remaining non-guaranteed money now be guaranteed? Arent there mechanisms already in place to pseudo force a player to retire like we are seeing w Reed?

It sounds like to much of a slippery slope and something I dont think Goodell and the NFLPA could handle correctly.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:39 AM   #268
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Fucking sucks he got such a terrible concussion on a 100% dog shit of a hit during a pre season game.

I think he should retire. But walk a mile in his shoes and it's not nearly as easy. He is a young, elite athlete, that has probably dominated at football and/or other sports for 20+ years. Doubt I would walk away if I was him.
I hear you. And obviously part of him has to be wanting to prove himself (and others) and can still do it at a high level.
But all we can do is wish he zooms out to the bigger picture of his life and realizes he already has achieved a lot as a human being and an athlete, and needs to think about his future...
Old 02-20-2020, 09:43 AM   #269
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Crazy how he wants to play again with his concussion history. The damn things are cumulative, the next one will be easier to get than the last, and probably worse. He gets them so easily now you could probably bounce a tennis ball off his head and give him one. He needs to retire or he could end up in a home for Alzheimer's patients by the time he is in his 40's.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:46 AM   #270
skinsfan69
Living Legend

I can't believe that Reed still wants to play. Someone needs to sit him down and tell him it's over. You have the rest of your life to live. Just for his own good hopefully no one will sign him and he will be forced to retire.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote