Coronavirus (non political)

Parking Lot

Old 03-20-2020, 01:15 PM   #256
Back2RFK
Special Teams

Re: Coronavirus (non political)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
During this time if you know any seniors or other individuals that might not have that "tech guy" in their lives that are struggling with computer or tech issues they can call me at 866.848.4234. I will help them via phone at no charge with no time limit.
Share it as freely as you want.

Craig

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
That's a very nice for you to offer of your services. I feel sorry for the seniors that have never embraced any technology. My parents are in their 80's and my mom is pretty good on a computer and my dad not so much.
Back2RFK is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-20-2020, 01:18 PM   #257
Back2RFK
Special Teams

I did learn last night that getting a BJ while she is wearing a surgical mask does not work so great.
Back2RFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 02:05 PM   #258
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
NY going on lockdown effective Sunday
This is going way overboard.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:06 PM   #259
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
This is going way overboard.
Better overboard now than to look back and wish we did more
Old 03-20-2020, 02:12 PM   #260
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Better overboard now than to look back and wish we did more
I fully understand how serious this is so pleas don't get me wrong but what other symptoms does this virus have that a flu virus doesn't ,not being a jerk I really don't know. Yes I know senors are high risk but they are to the flu all so . 25,000 die from the flu in the US this year 20,000 have died World wide from this .You can test positive but not be sick .What is different with this virus from any others we have ever been faced with? Again not being a smart ass.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:47 PM   #261
SunnySide
Playmaker

The COVID-19 situation is changing rapidly. Since this disease is caused by a new virus, people do not have immunity to it, and a vaccine may be many months away. Doctors and scientists are working on estimating the mortality rate of COVID-19, but at present, it is thought to be higher than that of most strains of the flu.
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...019-vs-the-flu

Death rate

The death rate from seasonal flu is typically around 0.1% in the U.S., according to The New York Times.

Though the death rate for COVID-19 is unclear, most research suggests it is higher than that of the seasonal flu.

In the study published Feb. 18 in the China CDC Weekly, researchers found a death rate from COVID-19 to be around 2.3% in mainland China. Another study of about 1,100 hospitalized patients in China, published Feb. 28 in the New England Journal of Medicine, found that the overall death rate was slightly lower, around 1.4%.

Still, the death rate for COVID-19 appears to vary by location and an individual's age, among other factors. For instance, in Hubei Province, the epicenter of the outbreak, the death rate reached 2.9%; in other provinces of China, that rate was just 0.4%, according to the China CDC Weekly study. In addition, older adults have been hit the hardest. The death rate soars to 14.8% in those 80 and older; among those ages 70 to 79, the COVID-19 death rate in China seems to be about 8%; it’s 3.6% for those ages 60 to 69; 1.3% for 50 to 59; 0.4% for the age group 40 to 49; and just 0.2% for people ages 10 to 39. No deaths in children under 9 have been reported.

A report published March 13 in the journal Emerging Infectious Diseases adjusted for the potential time delay between hospitalization and death among cases in China. The authors estimated that, as of Feb. 11, the death rate from COVID-19 was as high as 12% in Wuhan, 4% in Hubei Province and 0.9% in the rest of China.

In the CDC's MMWR study, 45% of hospitalizations, 53% of admissions to the intensive care unit (ICU), and 80% of deaths associated with COVID-19 were among adults aged 65 years and older.

Virus transmission
Advertisement

The measure scientists use to determine how easily a virus spreads is known as the "basic reproduction number," or R0 (pronounced R-nought). This is an estimate of the average number of people who catch the virus from a single infected person, Live science previously reported. The flu has an R0 value of about 1.3, according to The New York Times.

Researchers are still working to determine the R0 for COVID-19. Preliminary studies have estimated an R0 value for the new coronavirus to be between 2 and 3, according to the JAMA review study published Feb. 28. This means each infected person has spread the virus to an average of 2 to 3 people.

It's important to note that R0 is not necessarily a constant number. Estimates can vary by location, depending on such factors as how often people come into contact with each other and the efforts taken to reduce viral spread, Live Science previously reported.
Risk of infection

The CDC estimates that, on average, about 8% of the U.S. population gets sick with the flu each season.

As of March 19, there are 9,415 cases of COVID-19 in the U.S. Some parts of the country have higher levels of activity than others, but cases have been reported in all 50 states, according to the CDC.

The immediate risk of being exposed to COVID-19 is still low for most Americans, however, as the outbreak expands, that risk will increase, the CDC said. People who live in areas where there is ongoing community spread are at higher risk of exposure, as are healthcare workers who care for COVID-19 patients, the agency said.

The CDC expects that widespread transmission of the new coronavirus will occur, and in the coming months, most of the U.S. population will be exposed to the virus.
https://www.livescience.com/new-coro...-with-flu.html
Old 03-20-2020, 02:47 PM   #262
SunnySide
Playmaker

Its deadlier than the flu

It is forecasted to infect a much higher percent of the population than the flu
Its infection rate (RO) is probably 2x that of the flu

In short, its like the flu in that causes respiratory illness, but is deadlier, spreads easier and faster and is forecasted to infect 50% vs 8% of us.

Like the flu on steroids.

Oh ... and we dont know much of anything about it.

Lastly ... we arent prepared with medical equipment or facilities for half the country to get the "flu on steroids".

Lastly lastly .. we dont have any built up immunity to this strain like the common flu.

Ps -- also we dont have a vaccine for it .. like we do with the common flu.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:54 PM   #263
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2RFK View Post
I feel sorry for the seniors that have never embraced any technology. My parents are in their 80's and my mom is pretty good on a computer and my dad not so much.
I helped quite a few elderly friends and family get and stay connected back in the dial up days. It was a tough row to hoe trying to get them away from AOL when better options became available. I would almost consider AOL as malware as they tried to make it very difficult to uninstall their software. A couple times I had to reformat hard drives to install new ISP software. Most new ISP software would not function until every last AOL file was gone.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 03:07 PM   #264
MTK
\m/

Quote:
I fully understand how serious this is so pleas don't get me wrong but what other symptoms does this virus have that a flu virus doesn't ,not being a jerk I really don't know. Yes I know senors are high risk but they are to the flu all so . 25,000 die from the flu in the US this year 20,000 have died World wide from this .You can test positive but not be sick .What is different with this virus from any others we have ever been faced with? Again not being a smart ass.
How The Novel Coronavirus And The Flu Are Alike ... And Different
Old 03-21-2020, 08:49 AM   #265
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Here in Virginia, out of 2325 folks tested who have qualified showing symptoms, traveled, come in contact with a carrier....114 have tested positive. That’s 95% testing negative for Coronavirus. Some perspective for the epidemic.

My thoughts this past week have been with the front line workers in our healthcare system. They are doing a really great job dealing with the craziness.

The panic buying..I’m perplexed. Really a terrible example to the kids...hoard and consume everything you can. People really need to calm down.

Special shout out:
Hollywood celebrities...99% who are not helping or don’t contribute anything to society, complaining on social media about being locked down once again proving they are the worst people in the country. Fuck them all.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:19 AM   #266
Giantone
Gamebreaker

BS chico........................

Special shout out:
Hollywood celebrities...99% who are not helping or don’t contribute anything to society, complaining on social media about being locked down once again proving they are the worst people in the country. Fuck them all.

................ you don't know what they are or are not doing. Seriously whats wrong with you?
Old 03-21-2020, 10:12 AM   #267
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
BS chico........................

Special shout out:

................ you don't know what they are or are not doing. Seriously whats wrong with you?
In a spirit of unity I agree with G1. Let's focus our attention on those seeking to help and improve. I am sure once it is over there will be plenty of time for recriminations and blame, and i am sure it wont be pretty

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 11:08 AM   #268
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I don't even understand the toilet paper thing. Do people not realize that Coronavirus causes no G.I. symptoms?? Does everybody think it gives you the runs?

I would understand buying up bottled water, tylenol, canned foods like soup, stuff like that. But the toilet paper thing is just bizarre.
I wasnt going to scroll thru 20 pages to see if you changed your tune,but this is not accurate.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronav...f-of-patients/

https://www.foxnews.com/health/early...e-issues-study
Old 03-21-2020, 11:35 AM   #269
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownskinfan View Post
I wasnt going to scroll thru 20 pages to see if you changed your tune,but this is not accurate.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronav...f-of-patients/

https://www.foxnews.com/health/early...e-issues-study
In one of those articles you linked:

Patients with digestive symptoms had a variety of problems, including loss of appetite (nearly 84%), diarrhea (29%), vomiting (0.8%) and abdominal pain (0.4%).

I think the heavy loss of appetite numbers would more than counteract the diarrhea numbers as far as toilet paper needs would be.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:40 AM   #270
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Special shout out:
What I don't understand is how anyone gives a crap about the political opinions of a Hollywood Celebrity. They spew them any chance they get. Those people live in a different world, if they ran out of a necessity because of hoarding, they could send a dozen people to look for it or just pay 100 times what it is worth to get it.