Merged: The Movies Thread

Parking Lot

Old 05-20-2008, 11:39 PM   #256
GMScud
Swearinger

Re: Merged: The Movies Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
I'm actually a little excited for the movie, "The Happening" that comes out June 13th with Marky Mark in it. (Yes, I said Marky Mark)

Isn't this an M. Night Shaymalan flick? (I'm actually not sure) Which means it's going to have some twist that comes directly out of left field? I haven't watched any of his movies but I hear that his twists are pretty.. Nuts.
I definitely want to see The Happening. I've liked all of M. Night Shyamalan's films except Unbreakable. I really liked Signs, and who doesn't like 6th Sense? When I went to Iron Man, they had an extended preview for The Happening. Really looks awesome. And Mark Wahlberg was good enough in The Departed that I'll watch any of his new movies for a while.

Anyway, Iron Man was fun to watch, and Downey, Jr. was brilliant (not Less than Zero brilliant, but he was solid).

Forgetting Sarah Marshall was the funniest thing I've watched since Wedding Crashers. I was in tears. I was definitely "that guy" in the theater laughing way to loud.

Advertisements
Old 05-21-2008, 12:08 AM   #257
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I love itvnetop's movie reviews! No one else talks about "cinematography" and "narrative"

Quick itvnetop, top five most infamous deus ex machinas in cinematic history. Go!
Thanks SS! Now you've got my mind spinning. This list isn't the most infamous ones in history... it's just the ones that I hate. The most infamous is probably Planet of the Apes, but I'm not listing it... that movie was so b-side that I thought the ending was perfect. "Damn you to Hell!"

*Spoiler*

1) Signs - Although I actually liked this movie, the ending seemed preposterous. Seriously, would an alien race that's pretty advanced actually visit a planet that's over 70% death (aka water)?

2) Battle Royale - I love this film... I own it on disc and have seen it over 20 times. But this film deserved such a better ending. The writer just packed it in at the end. Then again, it's based on a book- so it may have just followed that story till the end.

*Spoiler*

3) The Prestige - The trend continues of awesome films with copout endings. Seriously... an identical twin?

4) Superman (Original) - Yup it's a classic. But that whole flying around the Earth-turning back time thing to save Lois was booty. And wouldn't this negate all of the lives he had saved earlier?

*Spoiler*

5) 3:10 to Yuma - Great flick. Ending isn't consistent with Crowe's character. Yeah, I felt he was feeling some sympathy (and respect) for Bale's character. But enough sympathy to all of a sudden blast his crew, who went through hell to free him? Wade hadn't shown enough of a change throughout the film to suddenly decide this action during an awesome climax. It's almost as if the writer wanted to make a happy ending (sorta... even with Bale's demise), but was kinda lazy doing it. Then again, it's based on an Elmore Leonard book... so it may have followed suit.

* Honorable mention to I Am Legend. Ironically, the only film I've listed that I didn't like. Soooo, let's just throw in a butterfly crack on a piece of glass, a scientist and voila! A quick fix potion that solves everything... booooo!

Your turn, SS!
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:17 AM   #258
Lady Brave
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I definitely want to see The Happening. I've liked all of M. Night Shyamalan's films except Unbreakable. I really liked Signs, and who doesn't like 6th Sense? When I went to Iron Man, they had an extended preview for The Happening. Really looks awesome. And Mark Wahlberg was good enough in The Departed that I'll watch any of his new movies for a while.

Anyway, Iron Man was fun to watch, and Downey, Jr. was brilliant (not Less than Zero brilliant, but he was solid).

Forgetting Sarah Marshall was the funniest thing I've watched since Wedding Crashers. I was in tears. I was definitely "that guy" in the theater laughing way to loud.
Thank you. I thought I was the only one.
Lady Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:22 AM   #259
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I'm a mod, I don't have to listen to you

Seriously though, um I'd have to think about that.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:50 AM   #260
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Brave View Post
Thank you. I thought I was the only one.
Yeah, I mean, with the trend of "superhero" style movies over the past 6-8 years, I understand Shyamalan's motivation to make a different style of such a movie, it just didn't really hold me. Everything else he's done has been, if nothing else, pretty hair raising.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:59 AM   #261
That Guy
Living Legend

i haven't found a horror movie i've liked yet. i mean, even the saw series which everyone seems to love was pretty boring and pointless for me :/

new indy looks terrible... dreadful even. i watched the new narnia out of sheer boredom here and it was actually better than the first and not that bad. I doubt i'll ever watch it again, but at least i don't feel like i wasted 2 hours of my life.

quoted from "cheery movie reviews with that guy".

okay, well not really.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:41 AM   #262
MTK
\m/

I checked out Cloverfield last night, I know the reviews were mixed here but I liked it. The shaky camera thing really didn't bother me and I liked how it made you feel more involved in the movie. I think without that the movie would have been pretty lame.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:04 AM   #263
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
i haven't found a horror movie i've liked yet. i mean, even the saw series which everyone seems to love was pretty boring and pointless for me :/

new indy looks terrible... dreadful even. i watched the new narnia out of sheer boredom here and it was actually better than the first and not that bad. I doubt i'll ever watch it again, but at least i don't feel like i wasted 2 hours of my life.

quoted from "cheery movie reviews with that guy".

okay, well not really.

I'm with you on that one. Wife and I both liked it a lot more than we expected to.

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:05 AM   #264
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Quick itvnetop, top five most infamous deus ex machinas in cinematic history. Go!
I don't know about most famous, but here are five of my favorite deus ex machinas...

The endings to O' Brother, Where Art Thou; Platoon; Saving Private Ryan; Jurassic Park; and Joe vs. The Volcano.

Well, maybe that last one wasn't so great...
Old 05-21-2008, 02:50 PM   #265
dmek25
MVP

i totally did not get o' brother, where art thou. hated that movie
Old 05-21-2008, 02:52 PM   #266
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
i totally did not get o' brother, where art thou. hated that movie
Did you ever read The Odyssey?
Old 05-21-2008, 04:52 PM   #267
itvnetop
Playmaker

To the M. Night fans... did you guys watch the Village or Lady in the Water? I turned off "Lady" after the third mention of Narf. And I always finish bad movies...
Old 05-21-2008, 04:53 PM   #268
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
Did you ever read The Odyssey?
Werd. The Coens can do no wrong. Well, except for the Ladykillers remake.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:56 PM   #269
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by itvnetop View Post
To the M. Night fans... did you guys watch the Village or Lady in the Water? I turned off "Lady" after the third mention of Narf. And I always finish bad movies...
I actually liked The Village, even though I figured out the end about 20 minutes into it. I also really liked Unbreakable (I'm one of 8 people that own it).

I never saw Lady In the Water.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:10 PM   #270
MTK
\m/

I liked the village.

Lady in the water was disappointing.