Let's talk good beer

Parking Lot

Old 03-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #256
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

re: Let's talk microbrews good beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinMike View Post
All grain makes a huge difference. Got my supplies at weldlessfittings.com and had someone cut the tops off the kegs and drill the holes needed. Also keeping in the spirit of the thread had a founders breakfast stout last night and it was awesome.
Yea buddy....Founders is out here by me and we go to their brewpub every now and then. The Breakfast Stout is excellent!

Advertisements
Old 04-08-2011, 06:29 PM   #257
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Man hits 31st day of beer-only Lenten fast – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

can I get an amen?

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:39 PM   #258
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Amen.

Last weekend at my favorite watering hole down at the beach, I had a pint of Ommegang Hennepin and a snifter of Rogue Double Dead Guy Ale. The Hennepin I've had before, a great spring/summer time beer, close to a Belgian Wit. I like it much better though.

The Double Dead Guy Ale was money. Almost porter-like, it had a big chocolaty-citrus undertone that was awesome. I could drink that over and over again.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:00 PM   #259
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

I've had the Dead Guy but not the double Dead Guy. I'll have to watch for that.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:28 PM   #260
RedskinMike
Special Teams

Had 21st Amendments Hop Crisis last night and that was one good beer. Not much of a fan of their other stuff, but this one was great.
RedskinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:52 PM   #261
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Terrapin Rye Pale Ale

Never heard of Terrapin beer till our trip to South carolina last month.
Stopped at a grocery store and came across it.
Nicely balanced beer with an intersting rye taste.
Yummy.....

Terrapin Beer Company | Athens GA Microbrewry Craft Beer
Old 08-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #262
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Had this outta a keg a couple times a couple years ago and recently found it bottled at my beer spot. IPA enthusiats rejoice with 95 IBUs and good hop blend. Green Flash Brewery's West Coast IPA...not a light IPA, heavy or full body

Green Flash West Coast I.P.A. - Green Flash Brewing Co. - San Diego, CA - BeerAdvocate

He Gets Us
Old 09-19-2011, 08:58 AM   #263
MTK
\m/

Why I Don’t Drink Budweiser…and Why I’m Not Alone | The Pour Fool: What to Drink from the World and the Northwest - seattlepi.com
Old 09-19-2011, 09:51 AM   #264
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Really good article. Its amazing when i go into my beer stores how pack they are these days. Especially eye opening is young drinkers in there. I drank my first dark beer in 1995, by my sophmore year in college I was hooked. I was brought up by older frat brothers who went to breweries and brewed there own beer. Sam, Serria Nevada, Spanish Peaks, Oregon, Red Hook, Abita, Dominion, Foggy Bottom, Brooklyn, Breckenridge is what I cut my teeth on. I never really thought good beers would catch on, but to see marketshare numbers like that is encouraging that one day the primary beer will be micro crafted

He Gets Us
Old 09-19-2011, 10:42 AM   #265
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Really good article. Its amazing when i go into my beer stores how pack they are these days. Especially eye opening is young drinkers in there. I drank my first dark beer in 1995, by my sophmore year in college I was hooked. I was brought up by older frat brothers who went to breweries and brewed there own beer. Sam, Serria Nevada, Spanish Peaks, Oregon, Red Hook, Abita, Dominion, Foggy Bottom, Brooklyn, Breckenridge is what I cut my teeth on. I never really thought good beers would catch on, but to see marketshare numbers like that is encouraging that one day the primary beer will be micro crafted
It's funny when you go to a good beer store now and all the crappy domestics are hidden away in a back corner. Proof that the cream rises to the top, eventually.

I've even noticed at supermarkets the past few years the # of micros they carry has noticeably increased. The first time I saw some celebration ale at the grocery store I was like wow, get the hell outta here.

Last edited by MTK; 09-19-2011 at 10:45 AM.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:53 AM   #266
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Budweiser = The Evil Empire
Old 09-19-2011, 11:06 AM   #267
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
It's funny when you go to a good beer store now and all the crappy domestics are hidden away in a back corner. Proof that the cream rises to the top, eventually.

I've even noticed at supermarkets the past few years the # of micros they carry has noticeably increased. The first time I saw some celebration ale at the grocery store I was like wow, get the hell outta here.
I remeber going to a Total Wine and Beer Store just built in Springfield Va in NOVA in 1998 on a weekend. Its like a chain warehouse-like (box store) and literally being one of like 2 people in the entire store. I remember thinking this is great, then thinking how the hell can this survive? Place was empty

He Gets Us
Old 09-19-2011, 11:51 AM   #268
BringBackJoeT
Impact Rookie

I saw that same list posted in the article on the beers that are taking a radical downward turn in sales. However, I wondered whether it was partly misleading. If you look at the list, it's beer-specific, not brand. For example, Milwaukee's Best and Milwaukee's Best Light are both on the list. I think that is relevant because, while Budweiser is down, it doesn't mean, for example, that Bud Light is down. In fact, it seems to me that at any sports event I'm at, it's Bud Light and Miller Lite that are being exclusively sold under those brands (Bud Light seems, unfortunately, everywhere). So, I really wonder whether the light beers of Miller, Bud and Coors are really hurting. Plus, the other beers on the list--Old Milwaukee, Milwaukee's Best, Michelob--don't strike me as ones whose downward turns can be considered surprising under any circumstances. The Milwaukee beers were ones I drank in high school 20+ years ago from places where we knew we wouldn't get carded. Even then, years before I began to love the microbrews, I considered them to be crap.
BringBackJoeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:07 PM   #269
MTK
\m/

The light beers are the most heavily marketed. I wonder how much of their sales are artificially propped up by stadium/event sales where choices are limited.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #270
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I remeber going to a Total Wine and Beer Store just built in Springfield Va in NOVA in 1998 on a weekend. Its like a chain warehouse-like (box store) and literally being one of like 2 people in the entire store. I remember thinking this is great, then thinking how the hell can this survive? Place was empty
I actually did a Jack and Coke sampling (the weak 5% premixed stuff Jack D came out with) there on the July 4th weekend and the place was packed. They were moving kegs like it was nobody's business. They were 10 times as busy as the Giant in Springfield Plaza a couple blocks away, which I've also done a couple beer samplings at.