Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Why Hasn't Anyone Talked About-A Possible Cancellation?

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Most likely scenario for the 2020 NFL season?
Starts on time and all regular season and playoff games are played 3 13.64%
Starts on time but doesn't finish 4 18.18%
Starts late but finishes 3 13.64%
Starts late but doesn't finish 2 9.09%
Stops and starts but finishes 2 9.09%
Stops and starts but doesn't finish 1 4.55%
Entire season canceled, no games played 7 31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2020, 03:17 PM   #241
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Re: Why Hasn't Anyone Talked About-A Possible Cancellation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervis_Griffith View Post
I guess I have already accepted the fact that COVID 19 will be with us for the rest of my life, and I'm 50 ... hoping for another 50. With that in mind, putting life on hold for a virus that isn't that deadly to the overwhelming majority of the population makes little sense to me.

If you're at high risk, stay home. Take precautions.

If you're worried about it, stay home ... wear a mask when out. Wash your hands.

If you aren't worried about it as much, or aren't at risk, wear a mask, wash your hands, but enjoy life.
This is a very good point. And you put it out there with a common-sense perspective. This virus is never going to go away, vaccine or no vaccine. We will all live with it the rest of our lives. We most likely will have to wear masks the rest of our lives, that is what i am hearing, but, that being said, people can't put their lives on hold forever.

THAT being said, i also do not see a way that the NFL can have a season in 2020. If we are being dead honest, i would also think that next year's season could be in jeopardy. Here's why: The vaccine won't be out until December at the earliest for the first wave of at-risk people / first responders, etc.. The rest of us and the average joes will be able to start getting the vaccine by spring of next year.

I think we will be well on our way to recovery by summer of 2021, but i still think we will be dealing with thousands and thousands of new cases even after the vaccine comes out, this thing is going to take time to get down to low levels, to the point where states can lift their restrictions on public gatherings / sporting events, etc.. So that might not happen until next year sometime. I realize that we have came a long way, but there is still a hell of a long way to go, before everything goes back to "normal". And i don't see that happening within one year, but 2 - 3 years is a more reasonable time frame.

Advertisements
Old 06-22-2020, 03:30 PM   #242
MTK
\m/

Really doubt we'll have to wear masks "forever". Eventually there will be a vaccine and/or meds to treat it with.

It may be more common as it already has been with Asian countries for people to wear masks when they're sick, but given the fact there are plenty of people who already can't handle the minor inconvenience of wearing one I can't see it being a regular thing once things are back to normal.
Old 06-22-2020, 04:17 PM   #243
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

I am most certainly not wearing a mask the rest of my life. Spring 2021, I hope the rules get more lax. I plan on moving out of California 1st quarter of next year. State and local rules on COVID likely will play at least somewhat of a role in my decision of where to move to.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 04:28 PM   #244
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
I am most certainly not wearing a mask the rest of my life. Spring 2021, I hope the rules get more lax. I plan on moving out of California 1st quarter of next year. State and local rules on COVID likely will play at least somewhat of a role in my decision of where to move to.
My wife and I are thinking of moving out of Virginia, King Ralph's rules on COVID is making that decision for us. To be fair though, we were already talking about it at the end of last year. But if we stay here, it is at least possible that we see this stuff the rest of next year. Ralph's term ends in January of 2022, so i'm seeing at least another year and a half of restrictions...
Old 06-22-2020, 08:34 PM   #245
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

There will be restrictions until a vaccine is made, Covid is just another Flu.. 1% death rate nationwide.. Time to get back to normal
Old 06-23-2020, 07:54 AM   #246
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
My totally uneducated guess is in 6-8 weeks we’ll be able to dial back on restrictions in hot areas like NY. There will likely be another wave of infections so some social distancing restrictions will need to stay in place for another 4-6 weeks beyond that. By July the worst may be behind us and we could be starting to get back to normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For some reason, epidemiologists keep saying that there will probably be another spike in Covid-19 cases in the Fall. If that prediction turns out to be accurate, then the entire season will be in jeopardy.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 08:27 AM   #247
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
For some reason, epidemiologists keep saying that there will probably be another spike in Covid-19 cases in the Fall. If that prediction turns out to be accurate, then the entire season will be in jeopardy.
More and more evidence daily to show that there is no way they can have an NFL season. We need to look ahead and even look at 2021 season, which i think is in jeopardy. Even with a vaccine out late this year / early next year, USA will still see probably upwards of 25 to 30K cases a day, it will take a significant time for the population to all get the vaccine (or as many people as would be willing, etc...), and then the new daily case counts to get low.

So i think as long as people are still getting COVID-19, an NFL season isn't possible. We could be looking at two years of no football.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:39 AM   #248
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

All games played including playoffs

No question about it

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:29 AM   #249
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Its unfortunate that we still have people downplaying this virus. Had we treated it seriously from the beginning and followed through with the restrictions the health experts recommended we could be sitting pretty like New Zealand. But alas we have now fallen behind the rest of the world and likely will have to wait for our lives, including sports, to get back to normal.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:06 AM   #250
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Are you guys going to be alright when games are played without your favorite players in uniform because they're under quarantine? Imagine Chase Young and our entire defensive line missing two weeks because our d-line coach tested positive. Imagine Ron Rivera testing positive. Do they quarantine all of the assistant coaches?

The NFL and the Redskins need to prepare for all of these scenarios if they want to move forward. They can't wait until personnel test positive to react.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:33 AM   #251
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Really doubt we'll have to wear masks "forever". Eventually there will be a vaccine and/or meds to treat it with.

It may be more common as it already has been with Asian countries for people to wear masks when they're sick, but given the fact there are plenty of people who already can't handle the minor inconvenience of wearing one I can't see it being a regular thing once things are back to normal.
People don't seem to understand that wearing a mask is to protect others not yourself. Unfortunately in today's "hooray for me to hell with you" society people aren't going to inconvenience themselves to protect someone else.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:40 AM   #252
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
People don't seem to understand that wearing a mask is to protect others not yourself. Unfortunately in today's "hooray for me to hell with you" society people aren't going to inconvenience themselves to protect someone else.
We're such a dumb country that's really what this boils down to. It's just insane that someone can't handle the minor inconvenience of wearing a mask during a pandemic.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:54 AM   #253
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
We're such a dumb country that's really what this boils down to. It's just insane that someone can't handle the minor inconvenience of wearing a mask during a pandemic.
You are correct, we are a dumb country. Unfortunately the rest of the world is seeing just how dumb we are and that doesn't bode well for our future.

As for the players, with the virus surging in most of the country, what happens when certain players decided the risk isn't worth the reward and opt to sit out the 2020 season whether it happens or not? I think there is a very real possibility that players decide to opt out.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:57 AM   #254
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
There will be restrictions until a vaccine is made, Covid is just another Flu.. 1% death rate nationwide.. Time to get back to normal
2,400,000 cases 120,000 deaths, that aint 1%
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 11:11 AM   #255
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
2,400,000 cases 120,000 deaths, that aint 1%
It sure isn't. Even basic math seems to be too difficult for most Americans anymore.