Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

WFT 2020 Training Camp

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Biggest pleasant surprise of training camp 2020?
Troy Apke 21 65.63%
Alex Smith 3 9.38%
Antonio Gibson 4 12.50%
Logan Thomas 3 9.38%
other 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2020, 10:11 AM   #241
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Thumbs up Re: WFT 2020 Training Camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post

- If somebody else needs to be cut in order to keep all 5 RB's, why keep a mediocre backup WR instead of either McKissic or Gibson when both of these RB's have experience as WR's ( McKissic in the NFL) and can be used at WR as needed? Also, both of these players are explosive and not ho-hum.
My thoughts exactly
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-29-2020, 12:10 PM   #242
OmahaRedskins
Impact Rookie

Re: WFT 2020 Training Camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
My thoughts exactly
I see them keeping 5 RB's and following the SF model from last year.
OmahaRedskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 12:16 PM   #243
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Jp finaly -

I've noticed the Washington O-line trying different combos at center and left guard - today it's rookie Keith Ismael at center and Chase Roullier at left guard

Also Jason Garnett got run with the first team a couple days ago.

Folks, left guard is an issue again

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 12:19 PM   #244
rocnrik
Playmaker

They draft based on best player available.. makes no sense to not keep the best players on the final roster ..I’ve always scratched my head when the cut a good player to keep a so so player at another position .. if that’s the way you view it then why not draft by needs ? Makes no sense ..
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 02:28 PM   #245
WCommandersfan99
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Jp finaly -

I've noticed the Washington O-line trying different combos at center and left guard - today it's rookie Keith Ismael at center and Chase Roullier at left guard

Yes it is. Don't think the staff is totally sold on Wes Martin. I know he got an earful from Rivera lately. Color me worried about our tackles. We sure better hope Moses and Christian work out.

Haskins is the type of qb that I think will kill it with good pass protection- which was terrible last season. He deserves at least a decent oline. Fingers crossed.
WCommandersfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 02:40 PM   #246
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Skinsinator View Post
Yes it is. Don't think the staff is totally sold on Wes Martin. I know he got an earful from Rivera lately. Color me worried about our tackles. We sure better hope Moses and Christian work out.

Haskins is the type of qb that I think will kill it with good pass protection- which was terrible last season. He deserves at least a decent oline. Fingers crossed.
You've got a better chance of becoming the Queen of England than seeing those two work out as our starting OT's.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 04:05 PM   #247
WCommandersfan99
The Starter

Quote:
You've got a better chance of becoming the Queen of England than seeing those two work out as our starting OT's.
Lol what other options do they have? Charles is hurt and may become a guard anyway. Haven't heard much about Lucas.
WCommandersfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:32 PM   #248
OmahaRedskins
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Skinsinator View Post
Lol what other options do they have? Charles is hurt and may become a guard anyway. Haven't heard much about Lucas.
If you stay in front of the down and distance, you can do things to protect the O-Line. You can keep a TE in to block or have a RB chip on the way out.
OmahaRedskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 12:13 AM   #249
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
The WFT is definitely positioned to keep 5 RB's, if they want to do so. I think they should. Here are my reasons, not in order of importance but simply as they come to mind.

- AP is still your bell cow. He's on the team.

- You just can't cut exceptional young talents like Love and Gibson.

- If AP is injured and unable to play, who handles the short yardage inside running duties? It has to be Peyton Barber. He is a very tough and effective inside runner.

- If somebody else needs to be cut in order to keep all 5 RB's, why keep a mediocre backup WR instead of either McKissic or Gibson when both of these RB's have experience as WR's ( McKissic in the NFL) and can be used at WR as needed? Also, both of these players are explosive and not ho-hum.

- McKissic needs to play ahead of Gibson for now as the 3rd down back, as Gibson learns and develops.

- If I ruled the roster, I would want to move Gibson to WR anyway. The idea of our future starting WR's being Terry McLaurin, Steven Sims, Jr. (slot), and Antonio Gibson is as explosive as it gets. Add to that Bryce Love and J.D. McKissic in the backfield with a top-notch TE (high draftee or FA) and we would be unstoppable.
Agree. Gibson is a WR that can lineup in the backfield in sub packages.

I think we're satisfactory there this year.

Gandy-Golden is a small school rookie and Harmon is hurt, but I like both of them.

2021 season, WR will be a plus position imo:

McLaurin (will be a bonified superstar), Sims Jr., Gibson, Harmon, Gandy-Golden, will be a legit top 5.
sdskinsfan2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 12:35 AM   #250
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Jp finaly -

Your comment on us having Left Guard problems is VERY worrisome. When TC started I thought Martin was going to move right up and in at LG. But Rivera DID publicly call out Martin, and not in a good way. Moving Roullier into LG means they are definitely looking for a “Plan B” because Martin isn’t getting it done.

I thought Christian was at his last TC, because of how poorly he played before. But he’s been getting kudos in practice. He’s improved mentally and physically. But he’s got big shoes to fill after all the great LT the Redskins have had over the years after Trent, Chris Samuels and before. Frankly, some of us have to see Christian do well, against real opponents before his metamorphosis is called real.

My worry has been at RT - Moses. He regressed a lot last year both in penalties and in protection. He did so badly that I think it hurt Scherff’s play. But the pressure is on Moses to get back to form. No way Rivera puts up with all those holding and other penalties. Unfortunately, the OL is thin, especially if Martin isn’t improving enough to start.

The hunt for the third WR is continuing. Inman may have the inside track due to his experience. Gandy-Golden has had problems assimilating all the aspects of pro football, but he did get cheated out of rookie camp, OTA’s and four Pre-season games, so it is tough to fault him at this point. So, he is the likely candidate to perhaps FINISH as the #2 WR. Cam Sims and Kidsy are possibilities but are really going to have to do extremely well to get noticed.

I agree, Keeping a talented RB, who can catch passes out of the backfield, may be better than holding onto a WR who has only shown potential over a couple years (like C. Sims or or Kidsy).

There are good things happening in some parts of the WFT roster but there are holes and a lack of depth!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 04:11 AM   #251
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
Your comment on us having Left Guard problems is VERY worrisome. When TC started I thought Martin was going to move right up and in at LG. But Rivera DID publicly call out Martin, and not in a good way. Moving Roullier into LG means they are definitely looking for a “Plan B” because Martin isn’t getting it done.
I must admit to having had high hopes before TC started that Martin would give us a solid interior to at least give the tackles a chance to be functional. Not so sure now. When RR called out Martin for effort JP Finley did say he thought that it was aimed at the young guys in general and I can understand the desire to swap guys around during practice so that they are able to fill in adequately when/if injuries happen during a game. But the signing of a former first round bust and putting him straight into first team reps has me thinking they are not at all happy with their options. It doesn't help that Schweitzer is injured. OL has to be a major focus next offseason.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:10 AM   #252
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
My worry has been at RT - Moses. He regressed a lot last year both in penalties and in protection. He did so badly that I think it hurt Scherff’s play. But the pressure is on Moses to get back to form. No way Rivera puts up with all those holding and other penalties. Unfortunately, the OL is thin, especially if Martin isn’t improving enough to start.

I agree, Keeping a talented RB, who can catch passes out of the backfield, may be better than holding onto a WR who has only shown potential over a couple years (like C. Sims or or Kidsy).

There are good things happening in some parts of the WFT roster but there are holes and a lack of depth!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Moses can't get back to form because he was never good enough to start at RT to begin with. Honestly, if the coaching staff plans to start Moses then I have no idea what they want at RT.

I think we have major problems at both OT positions. I had hoped someone would step up to take a job at OT. Now I doubt it. Big disappointment.

I'm not as concerned about the interior OL. I think the coaches can figure out an interior line starting group that is serviceable

I wasn't talking about backs catching passes out of the backfield. I was suggesting that we move either Gibson or McKissic to full-time WR. In the new offense, they could also shift into the backfield and run plays form there.

I have another crazy high school level idea. We have a collection of beasts at DT. Perhaps we could have one of them work with the OL part-time and eventually take a starting job there. Perhaps Settle could become a bad-ass OL.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 09:11 AM   #253
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Something I’ve heard about the coaching staff and the style...both our Oline coach John Matsko and tight end coach Pete Hoener are hard asses and it’s welcoming.

Jp was saying they are always loud and constantly instructing. They also are in their players ass. They aren’t here to fuck around. I think it’s a welcome approach. Not the soft camp b Mitch and doc walker referred to as a complete joke when Gruden was here

He Gets Us

Last edited by Chico23231; 08-30-2020 at 11:18 AM.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:04 AM   #254
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Has anyone missed pre-season? I have not

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:38 AM   #255
EdmundDorf
The Starter

John Keim
@john_keim
·
32m
First OL: Christian and Wes Martin on the left side. Really testing Martin to see what he can do. They will get on him