Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Our next coach??

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-26-2009, 11:22 AM   #226
MTK
\m/

Re: Our next coach??

I can't see Snyder not taking a very serious run at Shanahan. If you ask me, Zorn is about 95% gone.

Advertisements
Old 11-26-2009, 11:28 AM   #227
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I can't see Snyder not taking a very serious run at Shanahan. If you ask me, Zorn is about 95% gone.
I wasn't sold on Shanahan at first, but now the idea is definitely growing on me. If he's Zorn's replacement, I can live with it. What would be a head scratcher would be us going after the next assistant with promise.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:43 AM   #228
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
I maintain, I don't think Zorn is gone "no matter what." The only caveat would be, as SS has mentioned, if Shanahan and his crew come to D.C. Gruden sounds like he's out, and I never thought Holmgren was a serious candidate for the gig to begin with. But you never know. Cowher, I guess it could happen but not likely it seems. Tony Dungy ain't coming here for sure.

So after you get through the top three or four big names, who's really left? And equally as important, who's seriously interested? A few guys that are a little better than Jim Zorn? Unless we're bringing in someone with a lot playoff experience or Super Bowls under their belt, I'm leaning 60-40 for Zorn staying.
I can't envision any scenario that Zorn keeps the job next year. Outside of his 6-2 start he's 5-13, the offense is still pathetic and his decision making has been very questionable at best. The team still plays hard for him but they're professionals, they'd better play hard for anyone.

A lot of you guys are REALLY underestimating how Snyder is perceived by people around the league. We see the results but they see a guy who can be meddlesome but is willing to spend any amount of money to get a player or players the team wants. Most coaches would love to work for a guy who is willing to just stroke checks to whomever he wants and above all wants to win.

At the end of the day, money talks louder than anything.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:45 AM   #229
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
I can't envision any scenario that Zorn keeps the job next year. Outside of his 6-2 start he's 5-13, the offense is still pathetic and his decision making has been very questionable at best. The team still plays hard for him but they're professionals, they'd better play hard for anyone.

A lot of you guys are REALLY underestimating how Snyder is perceived by people around the league. We see the results but they see a guy who can be meddlesome but is willing to spend any amount of money to get a player or players the team wants. Most coaches would love to work for a guy who is willing to just stroke checks to whomever he wants and above all wants to win.

At the end of the day, money talks louder than anything.
But do you think Shanahan would work for him?
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:30 PM   #230
MTK
\m/

He would likely be the top paid coach in the league, he would have a say in personnel, and an owner willing to spend money. Why would Shanahan not want the job?
Old 11-26-2009, 04:50 PM   #231
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Here's what I think:

Shanahan: If he wants it, it's his. $10+ million/year. President/HC. Kyle Shanahan is Asst. Head Coach-offense; Asst. Head Coach-defense Bob Slowik. Leinart or Rosenfels potential veteran QB. Competition for him will be fierce though

Holmgren: I don't think Snyder is quite his style. And I have heard Snyder isn't too enamored with him anyway

Dungy: Just took a position with the NFL league offices. I think he's happy not coaching

Cowher: I think Tomlin's success has taken some of the luster off of him in Snyder's eyes. But he's still a possibility. Cowher is a candidate for many places though-Cleveland, Carolina, and Houston for starters

Gruden: Not happening. It wasn't happening even before he signed his contract extension

Steve Marriucci: Fall-back option. Speaks often with Cerrato but he might be more likely for a place like Houston or even Seattle if Holmgren returns and cans Jim Mora Jr.

Jim Fassel: How many times can he be turned away at the last minute by the Redskins? If anything he'll go somewhere like Oakland or Buffalo

Jim Hasslett: No

Pete Carroll: Pete Carroll? Seriously? I think he takes one more stab at the NFL, but it won't be in DC. Dallas maybe?

Brian Billick: My sleeper pick to be our next coach. And he'll bring someone like DeCosta along with him

Charlie Weis: If Vinny stays (which he won't) Weis could be our next offensive coordinator, with Rob Ryan as head coach and Jimmy Clausen as QB. Really I don't see that happening

Gary Kubiak/Jim Mora Jr: Will get interviewed if available and Shanahan says no

Ron Meeks: Will get interviewed, and another sleeper pick
Old 11-26-2009, 05:20 PM   #232
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

First option would be to have success with Cerrato and Zorn, but that hasn't happened so far and doesn't seem to be on the horizon
Old 11-26-2009, 06:09 PM   #233
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
But do you think Shanahan would work for him?
Absolutely. Shanahan would have no problems working for Snyder. You forget that Bowlen is another big personality owner, as is Al Davis and Shanny worked for both of them. He would fit in just fine with him.

I don't know if either would be the others first choice (I think Shanny would prefer Dallas with Jones and Snyder would've preferred Gruden) but for the right overall package I think Shanahan will come.

I agree with Smootsmack's description of a President of Football Ops role with bringing his son as the Asst. Head Coach/successor. Most of his drafting errors were on the defensive side of the ball, where we seem pretty decent. I don't know how Slowick will do here because apparently he's become enamored with a 3-4 defense and I don't think our key DL personnel (Haynesworth, Carter, Orapko, Jarmon) are ideally suited for that.

At this point I'm just kinda ready for whatever will happen to happen.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:13 PM   #234
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Oh my god Smoot your killing me. The best we can do is Shanahan and Co.?

I agree:

Dungy-won't take it.
Gruden-should but most likely won't. Unless DS pays out his contract.
Cowher-would be nice but like you said most likely to Carolina.
Holmgren-I just don't see the balls to put DS in his place. Back to Seattle.
Marriucci-Might not be bad for continuity with scheme but again too timmid.
Billick-I have never been impressed with his offenses. I hope he goes elsewhere.
Fassel-He never had a good scheme. He's dying to get back into the league.

Then you add:

Hasslett
Carroll
Weis
Kubiak
Mora Jr.
Meeks

All very bad coach's. I'd definitly rather have DS make a special trip to see Marty and sweet talk him into taking the GM job and have his son Brian be HC. Otherwise look to raid the Colts and take Chris Polian as GM and the Asst. HC/WR coach and bring him in as HC. Maybe they could build something.

Jimmy Johnson anyone? LOL. Maybe he can use Dan Morino as QB coach and he gets his ring as a coach.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:19 PM   #235
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Smoot, you also mentioned Rob Ryan. He's with the Browns right? I thought of him and wondered if we had no other qualified options would he not be an ok HC? I know he and his long hair are excetric but he has been a decent co-ordinator in the past. I don't know who he would bring in to run the offense and as you said if he came in he would most likely have to do a lot of work to change it to a 3-4 defense. Our draft picks are needed to beef up the O-line.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:25 PM   #236
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Never mind about Chris Polian:

Chris Polian becomes Colts G.M.
Posted by Mike Florio on November 26, 2009 10:12 PM ET
Though Indianapolis Colts president Bill Polian isn't retiring any time soon, his son, Chris, has taken a big step closer toward replacing his 66-year-old father once he decides to pack it in.

The Indianapolis Star reports that Chris Polian has been named the team's General Manager as part of joint contract extensions with both Polians, which will keep them with the team beyond 2012.

Chris Polian, a long-time employee of the Colts, often has been mentioned as a possible candidate for jobs in other cities, but he never has come close to leaving Indy. It now appears that he won't be leaving at any point in the near future.

"I was willing to make a financial commitment to the management side of this organization to keep Chris off the market,'' owner Jim Irsay told the Star. "Chris is going to be here and play a dominant role. I've been around Chris for a long time. Whenever Bill is ready to retire, or semi-retire, we'll move forward with Chris.''
Old 11-26-2009, 11:31 PM   #237
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Double checked on Gruden. He won't and can't go anywhere in 2010
Old 11-26-2009, 11:33 PM   #238
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

There's also always Gregg Williams as an option. So long as Vinny goes, Williams is a possibility. But Snyder won't let him be more than just head coach.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:42 PM   #239
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Ok, so if we are limited to two decent HC's and one most likely going to Carolina, we either make sure we offer the most in money and give Shanahan the world or we look at Co-ordinators. Who would be good candidates from the Co-ordinator pools?

Saints(?)
Colts(Christensen)
Vikings(?)
Cardinals(Grimm)
Jets(Schottenheimer)
Texans(Shanahan)
Browns(Ryan)

Anyone else?

Marty please come back. Please work out some deal with DS and take the GM/HCing job until your son Brian is ready to take over as HC. Turn this team around.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:45 PM   #240
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
There's also always Gregg Williams as an option. So long as Vinny goes, Williams is a possibility. But Snyder won't let him be more than just head coach.
Yes I forgot about him when I mentioned the Saints. I was thinking OC. He would not be bad for continuity on the defensive side of things, but does he have to bring his lacky back with him? You know the CB or Safety that follows him like a lost puppy. Prayloo (sp).