Let's talk good beer

Parking Lot

Old 02-27-2011, 08:12 AM   #226
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

re: Let's talk microbrews good beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
Picked up a 6er of Sierra Nevada Glissade for the Super Bowl. Very good once I poured it into a glass (tried to drink the 1st one out of the bottle like an amateur...no offense to anyone), especially once it sat for a bit. Felt like the flavors melded together better once it sat in the glass. I'd buy it again, and certainly wouldn't mind trying it on tap.
Picked up a 6 of this and was pleasently surprised. Last couple new Sierras products ive tryed over the last couple years Ive been disappointed with the slight execption of the Autum Wet Hopped which was pretty gud, not great. But this Glissade was very good. As warm weather approachs, this is a good outdoor beer, very light and big initial taste with a very light,suttle finish. Has what I refer to as an eastern European pils bite, which is a nice change to the overly hoppy beers ive been drinking in the last year. welcome surprise from Sierra

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-27-2011, 12:46 PM   #227
mlmdub130
Playmaker

haven't seen the glissade yet but i'm headin to wegans soon maybe i'll get lucky.

when i was in pittsburgh for the winter classic i found a pretty sweet beer store that had one of these babies World Wide Stout | Dogfish Head Craft Brewed Ales there and had to buy it. i just had it the other night and it was damned good, very full flavor, and a s ton of barley. it didn't come cheap it was about $10 for the single beer, but it is about 18% so it's not a beer you are going to finish in 20 minutes, and i would say worth it espescially anyone who loves dogfish, i love pretty much everything they brew.

i also was in obx last weekend and was able to score some fat tire from New Belgium Brewing - Age Verification. i still am not quite sure why it's not available up here yet, they only started shipping to the east coast a year or two ago. either way i bought two extra 12's so at least i'll have some for the time being.

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:58 PM   #228
MTK
\m/

For anyone into Belgian styles this is a good one

Delirium Tremens - Brouwerij Huyghe - Melle, Belgium - BeerAdvocate

Smooth and drinkable but it will sneak up on you pretty quick if you're not careful.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:05 PM   #229
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post

Smooth and drinkable but it will sneak up on you pretty quick if you're not careful.
I like the Delirium products, but they are too expensive. I saw a four-pack in the store the other day for $22. Granted, they're 20oz bottles, but still.

I'm loving the Starr Hill Northern Lights IPA. Delicious. It's brewed in VA, too. I like going local as much as possible these days.

Northern Lights - India Pale Ale |*Starr Hill Brewery
Old 02-27-2011, 04:39 PM   #230
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
haven't seen the glissade yet but i'm headin to wegans soon maybe i'll get lucky.

when i was in pittsburgh for the winter classic i found a pretty sweet beer store that had one of these babies World Wide Stout | Dogfish Head Craft Brewed Ales there and had to buy it. i just had it the other night and it was damned good, very full flavor, and a s ton of barley. it didn't come cheap it was about $10 for the single beer, but it is about 18% so it's not a beer you are going to finish in 20 minutes, and i would say worth it espescially anyone who loves dogfish, i love pretty much everything they brew.

i also was in obx last weekend and was able to score some fat tire from New Belgium Brewing - Age Verification. i still am not quite sure why it's not available up here yet, they only started shipping to the east coast a year or two ago. either way i bought two extra 12's so at least i'll have some for the time being.

Hey your link kept freezing up my computer, I think you trying to refer to the New Belgium IPA Ranger? If you are they dont distribute in VA from my understanding. Im not a big New Belgium fan, but their Ranger IPA is pretty good. I visit the OBX quite often and its super abundant down there which is a good thing, fairly tasty with freshy citrus-y hop. Solid beer, I always pick up a sixer of it when im down there.

He Gets Us
Old 02-27-2011, 09:07 PM   #231
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Sounds like he's referring to the Fat Tire brew. It's pretty good, drank a ton of it in NC.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #232
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post

I have a bottle of this sitting on my wine rack. I've been holding it for a rainy day...and that day might be coming soon.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:02 AM   #233
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
Sounds like he's referring to the Fat Tire brew. It's pretty good, drank a ton of it in NC.
i havent found fat tire in MD. It has really blown up in the west coast, colorado area 5-6 years ago. Im surprised dale pale ale is Md before fat tire.

had a black IPA this weekend, i tasted a hint of coffee but it wasnt a java type beer. real real nice, 8 abv., i forget the microbrew name thoo.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:34 AM   #234
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
i havent found fat tire in MD. It has really blown up in the west coast, colorado area 5-6 years ago. Im surprised dale pale ale is Md before fat tire.

had a black IPA this weekend, i tasted a hint of coffee but it wasnt a java type beer. real real nice, 8 abv., i forget the microbrew name thoo.
Ill take Dales P.A. over anything from Fat Tire all day long

He Gets Us
Old 02-28-2011, 12:04 PM   #235
jdlea
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I like the Delirium products, but they are too expensive. I saw a four-pack in the store the other day for $22. Granted, they're 20oz bottles, but still.

I'm loving the Starr Hill Northern Lights IPA. Delicious. It's brewed in VA, too. I like going local as much as possible these days.

Northern Lights - India Pale Ale |*Starr Hill Brewery
I've tried a few of Starr Hill's brews, but I just can't get into them. I just feel like they're always missing something. With each one I've just been left unimpressed.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #236
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea View Post
I've tried a few of Starr Hill's brews, but I just can't get into them. I just feel like they're always missing something. With each one I've just been left unimpressed.
me too, never liked any of it. guy at work was talkin bout how much he like northern lights, but he smokes alot of bud and i think that is really why he likes it, the dank reference. Its not bad, not great...the not so pale ale is horrible

He Gets Us
Old 02-28-2011, 04:07 PM   #237
redsk1
The Starter

Quote:
The best Starr Hill imo is TheGift. If you haven't checked it out, do so, it's pretty good.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:10 PM   #238
redsk1
The Starter

Quote:
Jomo's good too.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:55 PM   #239
BringBackJoeT
Impact Rookie

I got some good beer news this weekend. For several years, Mendocino brewing co. produced a seasonal IPA that they released each December in short supply. This year, I didn't see it, so I asked the beer guru at my favorite local store about it, and he told me that it was popular enough for Mendocino to make it available year 'round. The downside, though, is that they have made it part of their "Imperial" collection, which means they sell it in four packs, and their three Imperial brews are scarce (my favorite local store doesn't carry it). The only part of their Imperial collection that I've seen in the DC area is their Barleywine Ale, which, randomly, is the only one that my brothers in upstate NY have seen as well.

This weekend, I finally found it. For those in the DC area interested in it, I found it at the Whole Foods at 15th and P, which has a surprisingly good beer collection (at least compared to their Tenleytown store, which doesn't carry any Mendocinos). The four pack sells there for $10.99. It's worth grabbing if you happen to be there.

Mendocino Brewing Company - Seasonal Brews
BringBackJoeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:55 PM   #240
RedskinMike
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post

They will start selling it in MD this fall.http://beerinbaltimore.com/?p=5163
RedskinMike is offline   Reply With Quote