C 2 2.94%
D 0 0%
F 1 1.47%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-01-2020, 05:15 PM   #226
MTK
\m/

Re: Ron Rivera Thread

I should add I do feel like we’re in good hands with Rivera and Del Rio. Both are high character quality guys who will establish a good culture here. No more club Jay BS, we’re going to be a hard nosed blue collar bunch. Again, Snyder needs to just let them do their jobs and we could have something here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisements
Old 01-01-2020, 05:17 PM   #227
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Hate to be the wet blanket but whenever I start feeling good about these changes I remember we’ve had quality coaches in the building before (Gibbs, Marty, Shanahan) and they couldn’t overcome bad ownership.

Whether Rivera is successful here or not will all depend on if Snyder can stay out of football related matters. No meddling, no taking over the first round of the draft, no undermining the HC by buddying up with the QB, etc.

100% accurate, but regarding the bolded part, the first signs are promising, aren't they ?
I get the feeling Snyder may have understood that he needs to change (to the extent that his arrogance allows).
Old 01-01-2020, 05:50 PM   #228
sevier2
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
100% accurate, but regarding the bolded part, the first signs are promising, aren't they ?
I get the feeling Snyder may have understood that he needs to change (to the extent that his arrogance allows).
The signs are promising. If we look at the coaching history under Snyder he's hired almost all types of prospects. Hard nosed coach with unwavering discipline, college hot shot moving to the NFL, up and coming offensive mind, established coach with multiple super bowl wins, don't know what the hell Zorn is but still gave him a shot.

And now, we've come full circle to a coach who is hard nosed and a disciplinarian. We will see just how far Snyder has come with the way he handles things this time around.
Old 01-01-2020, 06:21 PM   #229
MTK
\m/

The very early signs may be promising but we’ve only just begun

Old 01-01-2020, 06:43 PM   #230
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
The very early signs may be promising but we’ve only just begun

The signs have been promising every time it happened except for Zorn.

2001: Oh he hired respected no-nonsense coach Marty Schottenheimer? What could go wrong!

2002: Ok, maybe he clashed with Schottenheimer. Spurrier runs that run'n'gun though, he's gonna have the Skins averaging 40 a game!

2004: O' holy father, thank you for answering my prayers. May Gibbs return this dumpster fire to the top of glory mountain.

2008: Well Gibbs ended on a sad note but at lea... wait what? Jim Fassel? ARE YOU SMOKING CRACK DAN? Fine, fine! We'll settle for Jim Zorn, even he can't be that bad compared to Fassel.

2010: Well we're not feeling Zorny anymore, but praise be! Cerrato has been removed, Bruce Allen has previous football experience and Mike Shanahan is a well respected head coach who has 2 titles under his belt!

2014: Well even Shanahan couldn't drag us out of the depths of hell, but Jay Gruden runs a good looking offense over there in Cincy!

2019: JESUS FUCKING CHRIST FIRE BRUCE ALLEN ALREADY! What's this? Nobody with any self-respect will work here as long as Allen does? Yay!!!!!! Itistheonlyway.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 07:39 PM   #231
Warthog
The Starter

The difference this year is that there’s no lackey high in the management structure to do Danny’s bidding. That doesn’t mean he may insert one, or turn a newly hired person to the dark side.

HOWEVER, I believe that Rivera asked Snyder for assurances (either verbally or written) that he would stay out of the management or micromanage of the team.
Snyder’s meddling has been the Achilles Heal of this franchise for 20 years. HC like Gibbs were too nice to keep Cerrato/Snyder out of the kitchen, guys like Zorn were too intimidated to do anything. I would be EXTREMELY SURPRISED if this topic was not discussed heavily, perhaps even before Rivera showed up. Remember Rivera’s agent only let Rivera come to Asburn if certain items were agreed to. Fire BA, Rivera gets total say on staff and first years draft and FA, Rivera gets to help in selection of GM and VP after the draft. The problem’s in the Redskin’s management is well known and documented in the NFL. Why would Rivera come here under the same conditions of the prior 8 HC failures!

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 07:51 PM   #232
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
The signs have been promising every time it happened except for Zorn.

2001: Oh he hired respected no-nonsense coach Marty Schottenheimer? What could go wrong!

2002: Ok, maybe he clashed with Schottenheimer. Spurrier runs that run'n'gun though, he's gonna have the Skins averaging 40 a game!

2004: O' holy father, thank you for answering my prayers. May Gibbs return this dumpster fire to the top of glory mountain.

2008: Well Gibbs ended on a sad note but at lea... wait what? Jim Fassel? ARE YOU SMOKING CRACK DAN? Fine, fine! We'll settle for Jim Zorn, even he can't be that bad compared to Fassel.

2010: Well we're not feeling Zorny anymore, but praise be! Cerrato has been removed, Bruce Allen has previous football experience and Mike Shanahan is a well respected head coach who has 2 titles under his belt!

2014: Well even Shanahan couldn't drag us out of the depths of hell, but Jay Gruden runs a good looking offense over there in Cincy!

2019: JESUS FUCKING CHRIST FIRE BRUCE ALLEN ALREADY! What's this? Nobody with any self-respect will work here as long as Allen does? Yay!!!!!! Itistheonlyway.
The thing that differs for me, and maybe I don't have all the intel about the previous experiences, is that this time it's not only about the hiring of RR, it's also about the firing of BA AND the fact that RR is seemingly asking for and getting total control and Dan's hands off football decisions.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:03 PM   #233
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
The thing that differs for me, and maybe I don't have all the intel about the previous experiences, is that this time it's not only about the hiring of RR, it's also about the firing of BA AND the fact that RR is seemingly asking for and getting total control and Dan's hands off football decisions.
Rivera already said he doesn't want total control, he just wants to play nice with the GM and pick his 46 for game days. Oh, and take any disagreements to the owner and let the owner settle it.

My only point is it's natural to get excited, we cleaned the house and it's a fresh start. It doesn't mean anything until we start putting wins on the board.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:15 PM   #234
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Rivera already said he doesn't want total control, he just wants to play nice with the GM and pick his 46 for game days. Oh, and take any disagreements to the owner and let the owner settle it.

My only point is it's natural to get excited, we cleaned the house and it's a fresh start. It doesn't mean anything until we start putting wins on the board.
He said that but he also said he wanted some guarantees that the FO guys would be on the same page as he did, that nobody would interfere with his football decisions and that he wants control on this year's draft. That's obviously way more control than what Jay had.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:09 AM   #235
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
He said that but he also said he wanted some guarantees that the FO guys would be on the same page as he did, that nobody would interfere with his football decisions and that he wants control on this year's draft. That's obviously way more control than what Jay had.

Exactly. I think Rivera saw what happened to all the other great (Gibbs, Shanahan), good (Schottie) and”why did you hire this guy” (Zorn) HC’s of the Redskins and wanted to avoid their biggest hinderance - which was interference of Snyder and Cerrato/Allen. Rivera asked for and was given total control of the football aspects of the team - TO KEEP DAN SNYDER OUT OF THE MANAGEMENT of operations. That is a HUGE & POSITIVE change for this team.

What is also exciting is that the team and Rivera are moving rapidly to get the people & coaches in place NOW, and to begin to rebuild the franchise from the ground up. The Giants and Cowboys haven’t moved yet on changes or not. I think we’ll see some coaches from Carolina migrate over for Rivera and maybe a couple key players from the Panthers. The future is now!

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:50 AM   #236
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Actually, from what I have read, it seems like Rivera is looking for a cooperative stace with Snyder not one where DS is locked out of control. That may be the best arrangement when you have an owner like Snyder. It keeps him in the loop enough so he doesn't get lackeys, but Rivera seems to have a strong enough sense of his way, and the results to keep Dan's respect.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:43 AM   #237
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
Exactly. I think Rivera saw what happened to all the other great (Gibbs, Shanahan), good (Schottie) and”why did you hire this guy” (Zorn) HC’s of the Redskins and wanted to avoid their biggest hinderance - which was interference of Snyder and Cerrato/Allen. Rivera asked for and was given total control of the football aspects of the team - TO KEEP DAN SNYDER OUT OF THE MANAGEMENT of operations. That is a HUGE & POSITIVE change for this team.

What is also exciting is that the team and Rivera are moving rapidly to get the people & coaches in place NOW, and to begin to rebuild the franchise from the ground up. The Giants and Cowboys haven’t moved yet on changes or not. I think we’ll see some coaches from Carolina migrate over for Rivera and maybe a couple key players from the Panthers. The future is now!

Shanny asked for that too even pen to paper didn't quite work out that way.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 11:03 AM   #238
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
Shanny asked for that too even pen to paper didn't quite work out that way.
Let’s hope the time since then for Dan to reflect on how terrible his meddling issues have impacted the organization have helped him make changes moving forward
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 11:39 AM   #239
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Presser at 2pm ET
Old 01-02-2020, 11:56 AM   #240
SunnySide
Playmaker

Heard a Carolina inside reporter interview this morning on Doc and Galdi.

Analytics seems to be not high on Rivera's list. One of the reasons new team owner Tepper wanted a new coach, wanted a more analytic offensive HC.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ire-ron-rivera

OConnell uses modern concepts and analytics. Hopefully that doesnt cause a rift.